Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:36

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 08:28 
Geek (631)
Well, I'm looking to buying a camera to do some decent photography on, and it is a big market and hard to figure out what is best for the money and what I'm looking for. I'll probably end up with $800 in funds toward buying something, my funds are slowly decreasing so I'm thinking I better find something sooner or later before I have to downgrade :P. I might be able to get up to $1000 towards it if I'm lucky and can work for some extra. So I'm not looking for a top of the line camera obviously, but just something I can use all around as a decent camera. I'm planning on a trip to Europe sometime in the fall, and would like to be able to take a lot of pictures of everything I see. So something good with landscapes and architecture. I'd like to be able to take close focused pictures too (if that makes sense). So I'm pretty crap with understanding most of this stuff, but I know there is a big community here who can hopefully help.

I've been looking at cannons the most so far, but I don't know the field that well overall. Or if I should find other types of lenses as well before the trip. How many megapixels is sufficient, shutter speed, if using them for video is ever worth it over getting a cheaper video camera. Well there are a lot of things.

So overall, I guess what are some good cameras I can get within my price range (which is in usd so that might be a little difficult). Hopefully I gave enough information and hopefully someone could give some suggestions :5: Thanks for reading :mrgreen:

[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I CANT MOVE
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I HAVE POLIO
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: HELP

[22:21] <@UNICORN_XD> *facedesk* sciece is so broing

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 12:13 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I've had a lot of experience with Canon. Not so much Nikon but I know they are very close in comparison.

If you want a good basic, top of the range for a beginner I'd start with a 40D. Really good beginner camera and gets you used to all the aperature settings, shutter settings etc. It's a nice light camera and really good to handle. You can buy most camera's as just the body or some do come as a kit. I recommend going one up from the kit lens as the kit lens is too standard. Providing you have the funds of course. Unfortunately the 40D does not record video.

If you are looking for some decent DOF then I'd definately get the 50mm. The nifty 50 I call it. Superb lens for DOF. I use it for many of my music shoots. If you are looking to do close ups then you need to look into getting a macro lens. The kit lens and the 50mm can get some good close ups but you really need a macro lens and they are not cheap. I'm still saving for mine.

If you are looking to record video then for a basic camera I'd look into the 550D. Came out last year I think. I was interested in this one but I didn't like the feel of it when I had it in my hands. Overall a good camera and affordable for one that produces full HD movies.

If you are looking for a more professional camera then the 5D mark II is a really good camera. It takes awesome shots and is really easy to handle and use. We record all of our music videos on the 5D.

I myself have a 7D. The 5D I found is overpriced and the 7D is much better for photography. The HD recording is good too but not as good as the 5D. The great thing with the 7D is that you can go up to a stupid high iso without the photo looking too grainy. I love my 7D.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 21:39 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
I'd agree with everything Annarack said. I too haven't got much experience with Nikon either.

I went for the Canon EOS 600D over the 550D. There's not much difference between the two apart from some software tweaks, built in remote flash and the wonderful tilting screen.

However the 550 is cheaper.

Forgot to add, my Father recently purchased a bridge camera as well frankly he's got arthritis and finds changing lenses difficult. He brought the Fuji X-S1 which is a great camera for the price and produces results in some cases not far from that of me 600D.

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2012, 11:28 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Canon all the way :4