[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
Calibrating your monitor - SpecialAttack.net
Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:39

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: Calibrating your monitor
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 07:31 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Calibrating:
If you want a free option for this, go read this link. I used quickgamma.
http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

Finding out if you have an IPS monitor:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php

Article:
Geek stuff and test images:
http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

A few options of paid software plus the best in the business:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/110070/d ... nitor.html

You could also hire someone who'll come and calibrate your monitor, costs a lot of bucks.

se 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 21:34 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
Not sure if I should litter this topic with this, but you might want to try the first test in both your upper and lower area of your monitor. My old somewhat shitty monitor (still, 22" and of a known brand) made plain coloured areas appear gradient.

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 21:53 
SpA Fookah (4459)
We can ofcourse discuss things about calibrating your monitor here :P Hell, we can post anything about photography as posts in the photography section. Just as long as you tag photo topics if you post them :mrgreen:
But I already checked, my monitor is one of the better range IPS ones, I don't have to calibrate it from different angles or spots on the monitor.

nl 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 21:45 
Nerdish, tbh. (515)
Has anyone experience with those Spyder calibration tools? It's a piece of hardware you have to stick on your screen to get the proper colouring and stuff, still not sure if it's worth to get it or stick to the free methods :P

nl 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 22:20 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I don't have experience with the hardware tool but I do think it's not worth the trouble to be honest. A proper hardware tool for it will cost you around 200 euros at least. If you really want your monitor calibrated that bad and your obviously working with it professionally, you should get someone over to calibrate it :P or buy the calibrating hardware.
For everyone else I'd stick to the free methods and maybe in a case buy the software solutions that are in those links.
Next to that, I'm not a big fan of editting much anyway. You should first learn to take a fully propper picture on your camera. If you take a propper pic, you don't need to edit at all. There's always ppl who just like to edit and make something different of it then it actually was. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a whole different game if you ask me.
I went to the nebo (photo store) to let some pictures be printed and a test picture. Next to that, I fiddled around with quickgamma and calibrated my monitor. It's pretty much the same as the prints now, so I'm content. I do like editting my pictures sometimes yes, but mostly I aim in taking a perfect picture that purely depicts what was there, at that moment.

se 
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 08:40 
Geek (690)
I can't seem to get my monitor calibrated. :( It's way to bright, and the quick gamma setting only goes down to 1.39.
I have a laptop though, so it might be because of the angle of the screen perhaps?

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010, 20:39 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I couldn't figure out how to calibrate my monitor manually on my laptop but I found some presets others had made and they sorted it out.

se 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 10:36 
Geek (690)
and where did you find those? :P

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 12:55 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
on the website for my laptop, they were pretty hard to find and I just stumbled on them

se 
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010, 19:41 
Geek (690)
oh.

:(

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 21:36 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
If you take a propper pic, you don't need to edit at all.
I disagree here completely, Bucky. You'll find any and every major professional and amateur photographer edits their photos. No photo is perfect from scratch. That's why people shoot in RAW. It's the digital version of a negative. The camera only does so much, every photo needs editing, whether it be contrast, brightness, saturation. It will always need a slight bit of editing. You should always sharpen your photos, too.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 21:57 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Even before digital they would do all that in the darkroom... now that requires some skills :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 20:44 
FUCK YOU! (320)
Indeed it did, Anna.

A lot of the tools you see in Photoshop are named after techniques used in the dark room. Dodging and Burning are good examples. They'd covered up parts of the photo, sometimes with their finger as the image gets exposed, making certain areas darker.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 15:50 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Don't suppose anyone can help me out on this, but my laptops new so it should already be calibrated, but the colours are very off, and where online calibrators have worked for me on any of the other displays I've used, it just doesn't seem to fix my current one. The reds are pink-ish, while my blues are quite purple, and my yellows are greeny. Today for some reason, dark greys are even looking a little purple. Help! :(

be 
PostPosted: 16 Jun 2011, 23:06 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I was going to get a Samsung SyncMaster F2380M, which has a ridiculously high true contrast ratio and pretty good colours, but I decided that the response time on 120hz would benefit me more since I only do the odd bit of video editing. Pretty pleased with the colours on the GD245HQ, the vertical viewing angle changes colour reasonable amounts, but what can you expect from a TN panel ;) Looks amazing in games though!
JuncoPartner wrote:
Don't suppose anyone can help me out on this, but my laptops new so it should already be calibrated, but the colours are very off, and where online calibrators have worked for me on any of the other displays I've used, it just doesn't seem to fix my current one. The reds are pink-ish, while my blues are quite purple, and my yellows are greeny. Today for some reason, dark greys are even looking a little purple. Help! :(
Factory calibration is often within a range of values they deem acceptable, and for laptops that range is often pretty bad.

One thing to try is getting a calibration profile, some people might make them and post them on the internet, so search around on forums for your specific laptop or range that it's from. Sometimes monitors do just have limitations and you can't get colours to a decent level. Plus the laptops I've fiddled with have crap adjustment options.

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2011, 01:24 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
ah thanks didn't think of looking for profiles :18

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2014, 00:10 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Update on calibrating your monitor:

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Cali ... adient.htm

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

These one are in dutch though :P

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/1604/wo ... kalibreren

http://www.digitalefotografietips.nl/na ... alibreren/

http://www.semarang.nl/help/help.html

If you're serious about photo editting, buy yourself a spyder pro or a color munki to calibrate your monitor. These also exist for printers.

GL!