Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:19

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
 Post subject: Broken Canon EOS 7D :(
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 12:33 
FUCK YOU! (320)
Just as the title of this thread says, my Canon EOS 7D is broken. :(

I was at a club on Friday night taking photos. My CF card reached full capacity, so I went to change cards. Upon inserting the second CF card I noticed it wasn't going in as it should. A little bit confused, I looked at the card and tried it another way . . . even though the first way was correct. But, I thought maybe I was wrong.
It wouldn't even turn on or do anything. The screen near the shutter button just flashed rapidly.

Upon inspecting it the next day I noticed that not one, but TWO pins in the CF card slot had come out a bit and bent! Now, I would say it was my fault but the pins should not of come out whatsoever. I am insured, but I have been reading some stuff online and so far it seems Canon will repair this under warranty . . .

Fingers crossed!

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 12:38 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Oh no :( My fingers are crossed that Canon will repair it.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 13:12 
FUCK YOU! (320)
I just e-mailed an official Canon repair centre and they told me that this issue is not covered by Canon's warranty as the fault would have incurred due to customer accident and notmanufacturer fault.

So that's why the pins just came out and bent? Yeah, OK! :|

This repair centre also said that it would cost £160 +VAT to be repaired. Then they said that if I send the camera into them, to provide my original receipt so the technician can inspect it then decide whether it is liable to be repaired under warranty if the purchase is less than a year old.

Contradiction much?

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 13:34 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Aw that sucks, I'd say you can borrow mine but... it's MINE!

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 15:01 
FUCK YOU! (320)
You horrible person you! :lol:

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 15:01 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
:wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 16:50 
FUCK YOU! (320)
Right then!

Things are now rolling. A form has been filled out to send the camera to Canon direct so they can have a look, give me a price (hopefully they'll sort if under warranty!) and then I can get on the case with the insurance to get this fucking thing fixed!

I hate this sort of stuff. I get so fucking stressed. I just had to print off the same form about 1237890136 times because I kept filling it out wrong. The slightest mistake fucks me off, so I try again, then I get even more stressed thus making even more mistakes. Grr!

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 17:12 
SpA Fookah (4459)
It's one of the things you're warned for though. You can find it on a lot of internet pages. But with propper use this still shouldn't happen.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 18:09 
FUCK YOU! (320)
I've decided not to go direct to Canon now. I've gone for http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk - they replied with such a brilliant and friendly reply to my query that I've opted to send to them.
The other companies that I e-mailed gave me rough estimates, each one with way too much of a gap between their quotes. This one was straight to the point, that they can't give any quote unless they look at it free of charge. That with what else they say made me think they are the ones I want to deal with my situation.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 18:10 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
It's one of the things you're warned for though. You can find it on a lot of internet pages. But with propper use this still shouldn't happen.
Any camera that uses CF cards could experience this problem. It shouldn't happen, I know, but it's pins, so there is a chance they will bend.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 20:27 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I'm like that with forms, bloody hate them. I hope you get if fixed KarlJW, I don't know what I'd do if mine broke :(

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 20:30 
Community slut (13473)
The slots are designed in a way the pin's shouldn't be able to bend at all. At least, that's what I'm assuming. A small pin should block you from inserting the flash incorrectly, and insert your card "unbalanced" so you create an angle to bend pins with should be impossible as well. I don't know the camera so you should verify this yourself, but if I'm not mistaken it should be something along those lines. I'd tell the same to Canon and tell em to fkin fix it because it's their products design fault if it allows you to bend pins with a flash card.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 20:41 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
YEAH you tell 'em SaintK

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 21:33 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
The slots are designed in a way the pin's shouldn't be able to bend at all. At least, that's what I'm assuming. A small pin should block you from inserting the flash incorrectly, and insert your card "unbalanced" so you create an angle to bend pins with should be impossible as well. I don't know the camera so you should verify this yourself, but if I'm not mistaken it should be something along those lines. I'd tell the same to Canon and tell em to fkin fix it because it's their products design fault if it allows you to bend pins with a flash card.
Exactly! The card can only go in one way. If you put it in upside down, the card will not actually make contact with the pins and if it does, the surface is even and should not bend the pins.
What I find fascinating about the damage done on mine, is 2 pins have actually come out and where I've put in my second memory card, it bent them. To me, that sounds like the pins weren't that well put in in the first place?
It could be my memory card, but I doubt it.

Anyway, it's being sent off. If it gets fixed under warranty, then great. If not, it'll have to go through my insurance.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 21:49 
Community slut (13473)
I'd put up a fight tbh. But maybe insurance is the easier way :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 22:21 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Hmm

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 00:05 
SpA Fookah (4459)
It could as well be something that was stuck inside the memory card entrance for the pins which bent em and finally pulled it out as they were jammed in that shut.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 21:01 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
I'd put up a fight tbh. But maybe insurance is the easier way :mrgreen:
Once the repair centre have a look at it they will decide whether it's going to be done under warranty or through insurance. To be honest, I'm not going to kick up a fight. Either way, it's not going to cost me anything. What's happened has happened.
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
It could as well be something that was stuck inside the memory card entrance for the pins which bent em and finally pulled it out as they were jammed in that shut.
The second memory card I put it has a slight scratch and abnormality on the side of one of the holes, but the pins are still out further than they're meant to be, so this card only bent what was already damaged.
I'll bin that card anyway. I'm due to get some new ones. :)

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 23:44 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Hmm

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2010, 23:55 
SpA Fookah (4459)
You find yourselve someone who's willing to address their insurance claiming they broke your stuff :P

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2010, 20:55 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Any news about your camera?

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 18:20 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
Just out of curiosity Karl, how do you go about insuring your equipment?

My camera is insured but my lenses aren't.
I'm with Photoguard. They're a highly recommending insurance company for camera equipment, professional or not. It's very easy to set up.
I was recommended by many and it was the only real regarded insurance company I saw on websites I use, and it seems that everyone I know use them.

Obviously you'll only want to choose the insurance for amateur or semi professional photographers. Type in the total amount your equipment comes to and it will give you an instant quote. From there on, just follow the steps.
When it comes to asking you how much it would cost for you to replace items, don't go for the receipt, but instead go online and find a price that it is selling at new but go a little bit above. Maybe add another £50 or so.
Use Camera Price Buster for a good indication.

Any time you buy new equipment, just contact them and add it to the list! It's so easy. And it's very, very cheap! Unless, of course, you have full on professional equipment with an unlimited supply of lenses and whatnot.
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Any news about your camera?
Not as of yet. The camera should have arrived at the repair centre today, so I expect I'll get an e-mail or phone call tomorrow with the news.

I'll keep you all posted!

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 11:43 
FUCK YOU! (320)
It's in the repair centre!

I don't think they've looked at it yet, but I'm hoping they hurry the fuck up as I want a quote so I can contact my insurance and send off the correct paper work. I'm on holiday next month and I want to take the 7D with me!

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 11:27 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Hmm

nl 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 14:14 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
It will go up to 3200, that's the great thing about the 7D, it can handle high ISO settings without too much grain :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 20:57 
FUCK YOU! (320)
[SpA]DrMcMoist wrote:
I know this isn't relevant to your thread Karl, but it I'd just like to say that Anna sent me a pic she took of me in Romania. And I uploaded it to Flickr, and had a look at the Exif settings her camera was on at the time. Her ISO was set to 2000. What's the highest ISO it can be set to?

If I set my ISO to 1600, it has noise up the bum, and yet with hers you wouldn't even know.

Enlighten me please, before I go on a murderous rampage. :18
What camera is it you have, McMoist? I've completely forgot! If it's one of the XXXD series, the noise reduction in camera isn't that great. However, if you're shooting at night (landscape, that is), then just use a tripod and a slow shutter speed. That way you can keep the ISO at a low number and have minimal noise.
If you do want to reduce noise even more, there are some programs out there to help this. One is called Noise Ninja. I've never used it, but it does what it says. Not sure if it degrades image quality as a whole though.

As for the Canon EOS 7D, it's highest setting is 6400 - at this you will still notice noise. Even at 1600 you get noise, but it's not as noticeable as that on the camera you have.
The Canon EOS 5D Mk II has even better noise reduction, but it's only slightly. It also goes much higher - up to 32000.
[SpA]annarack wrote:
It will go up to 3200, that's the great thing about the 7D, it can handle high ISO settings without too much grain :5:
It's 6400, Annarack. I just checked. I thought it was 6400, but when you said 3200 I had to check to see if I was right or wrong.
But yes, the Canon EOS 7D handles noise remarkably.

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 20:58 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
So it is :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:00 
FUCK YOU! (320)
What would you do without me, eh? :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:04 
FUCK YOU! (320)
Oh yeah! Whilst I'm here, I'd best give you all an update on my broken camera.

As you know, it's in Glasgow in the repair centre. I sent all the required documentation off to Photoguard last week on Wednesday with Royal Mail for next day delivery.
I rang up Photoguard on Monday and they told me that they had only received the documents on Friday and that they'd be checked on Wednesday and I'd have an answer Friday.

"Shit! That's more days I'm going to have to wait until I get my camera sorted, and I'm on holiday soon," I said to myself and others. Maybe not just like that, but you get the idea.

I go to the pub Monday night, get pissed, come home and check my e-mails. I was surprised to see an e-mail from Photoguard saying that my claim had been accepted. Yes!
They then ask me if I'd like them to speak to the repair centre direct to see if they'd accept payment from them direct or if I'd like to pay and they reimburse me.
Obviously I asked if they could speak direct. That they did. They then ring me saying they won't accept their direct payment, which is quite odd as they are an official Canon repair centre and accept cheques. Anyway, no bother, I will just do it myself.

So, what I'm trying to say is (sorry for the long winding sob story!), the camera is currently being repaired! :4

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010, 21:27 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Hmm