Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:24

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
 Post subject: 1.7 Server Discussions
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2013, 22:39 
Geek (733)
With 1.7 hopefully being release at Minecon on the 2-3 of November, I think it's high time that we at least get a sort of game plan, and general consensus of what is going down. Do we want to get a whole new map, or are we wanting to expand the current map?
At least with a new map we could test out different plugins, and we wouldn't have to either stay on 1.6 or have a temp map until every single essential plugin updated to expand. What do you guys thing, or want to do? I know I would like to have a new map mainly for the reason I have so many resources, and I don't want to build anything else on this map.
All I do know for a fact, that no matter how far away something is, it's best to have a plan in advance. We should also get some feedback from some active players about what they want to happen with this.

au 
 Post subject: Re: 1.7
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 02:51 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Oh boy... Thats not too far away :? Well then we have a few options, all of which are not exact so feel free to suggest things.

Firstly, we need to look at if we will have a temp map or not. A temp map would involve moving the current server network to a different port so that you would access our current servers by using *server*.specialattack.net:25560 and then having the temp map on port 25565 making it our default server. Otherwise we just keep the servers as they are now. (Keep in mind that temp maps are rather popular amongst players)

Second, we need to look at what we are going to do for our 1.7 server after the temp map is over (or bukkit is updated). We could keep a very simple server that only has Ranks, Command book and a world border leaving all the other game play elements up to the players. Another option is that we go for a specific server style like factions or an RPG server or we go with a hybrid server, similar to what we have now that has chest+land protections and MCMMO.

Third, what do we do about maps? This option will differ based on the previous two points. Do we keep the current map but expand it out? Do we create a new map for 1.7? or do we (if we get a temp map) keep the temp map?

Finally what sort of policy should we go with for grief/pvp/stealing? Are we going to babysit every player and ban anyone who even looks in someone elses chest or touches a block or should we just say that if you don't protect it (chests/land) its fair game.

In Summary, these are the points we should discuss. Feel free to throw around suggestions and play with ideas
  • Do we keep the 1.6 server till bukkit is up to date or make a temp map?
  • Do we go with a simple server for 1.7 using very few plugins and let the other gameplay elements be player created, create a theme for players by making a specific server (e.g factions, RPG) or go for a simple server but add in things like MCMMO and other fun plugins?
  • Do we keep the current map but expand it out? Do we create a new map for 1.7? or do we (if we get a temp map) keep the temp map?
  • Are we going to babysit every player or say that if its not protected its fair game?
My Thoughts

fi 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 03:32 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
*Whatever mbl said in his My thoughts chapter*
I concur. Temp, and see if we (need to) expand it.

As for "limit/remove admin tools like flight and godmode", limit them by disabling individual commands. Make a command like "/gm a", where it would simultaneously toggle /god, /fly, /vanish and give permission to /tp (and slap!), as well as broadcast to all Vet/Op+ that the user has switched over to Admin mode.
      Initially I was also thinking that it could have a database log and keep track of the number a player has used Admin mode.

Griefing, yes. If it's not protected, it's not owned. That seems like the most logical answer. A "progressive" protection system sounds good.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

us 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 12:03 
Geek (733)
I think the temp map would also be nice.

Just depends on the terrain, and overall feel of the temp map whether we keep it.

I think we should switch it up this time in the type of server. Some mix between RPG and the current system. It would maintain all the basic things you can do, and also add an objective for when people get bored.

As much as I hate seeing griefed up houses every time I go by spawn, if they don't protect it, it should be fair game. That protection shouldn't be free, but it shouldn't cost so much to where only the richest can afford it.

au 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 13:18 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Well the Grief Prevention plugin allows you to gain more protection blocks over time. Thus you don't need to save up money and the more you play the more you can protect. As for adding some RPG elements, it will be a decent chunk of work that we need to collaborate on if we decide to do that.

Something like this http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/diablodrops/ would be nice. Adds custom weapons, tools and armour using existing and new enchants. All dropped from mobs or collected from Ruins that are generated randomly around the map. (This feature needs a new map of course). Just need to check if it would work on 1.7 (Source is available so it can be updated and maintained by us if needed). Could also update and incorporate this http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/ddchestregen/

Something where players are limited to certain tools/weapons/armour till they level up enough would also be cool.

http://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins/srpg/ allows you to have different stats based on a class you chose such as Archers get a bonus for using a bow and a con for using swords. Adds situational combat bonuses such as backstabbing and high ground advantage. Classes can be leveled up to unlock better and stronger abilities and interchanged at any time.

NPC's from Citizens can be used to do a whole range of things. From standing idle to trading or giving out quests in an expansive and intricate quest system. Although for things like that we need to have builds already there in place. Something I was hoping not to have to start with (we build them up over time using legit items).

us 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 14:10 
Geek (733)
We also should look at what things if we get a whole new map would be copied over. Do we want a whole new spawn, or do we want to use Pat's spawn already in place? Also Dolf's city should be copied over as well. Do we want to give out if this goes through, or have people earn everything they have as it is now.

As to the plugins, I can't look right now due to being on my phone, but they do sound neat from your description.

au 
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2013, 17:02 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Dunno yet, we would need to see whats happening. We need to plan out what tools will be in place so that players can create their own unique story while playing on the server

Do they just build where they want and create random structures (Using claimblocks that they need to buy from a city, or something)?
Do they need to build in specified area (Such as rent plots in towns for money)?
Perhaps both options? Can't build within a certain distance of a town?
What can they do at towns, what can they do at spawn?
Do we have paths running between these towns or do we just have the town sitting there (We can do roads pretty easy with Voxel Sniper)?
What happens when they die? What happens when they spawn in for the first time?

us 
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 00:57 
Geek (733)
For building things, let's let them have the ability to have themed towns/cities that could correspond to different sections in a RPG quest type of deal. In order to start an official town, you must be of the Member rank. Living in a town could have benefits such as cheaper claim blocks. The price could vary by city, but would have to be accepted by someone say Vet+? Building on their own, they could build whatever they wanted, but having cheaper protections in towns would discourage this somewhat. These houses would have to be a certain distance from any particular town or city. Connecting these towns there could be warp signs, or some type of portal system leading from town to town.
When players spawn for the first time, I say if we go for this RPG themed thing then we have them spawn at the best city which would also be the starting point in the quest. When they die, if they belong to a town, they spawn back at the town spawn point. If they live on their own, it should be somewhat difficult to be able to set your home with a bed by itself, so maybe you have to get to a certain point in questing for that to be possible?
If we don't want to build everything for the quest, than the final mission for each person competing would be to build the next step in the quest until it finishes. We could have multiple different quests all starting at one particular city, but going in different areas, buildings, towns than any other particular one; that way someone could build an end to one after say 16 or so different steps than that won't be too much of an issue for anyone else because of having multiple quests they can build onto.

au 
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 04:28 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Righto lets make this public and try to get input from everyone

nl 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 16:00 
Nerdish, tbh. (503)
I'll like a simple server with a NEW map, yes a new map. No build protections(or FREE protections with a higher limit), instead, banning of griefers and more rollbacks.
Makes gameplay a lot easier, bigger builds without any problem.
Factions, etc will drive the server to craziness.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

+[[color=#0040BF]FrankyDoodle[/color]]) ah french most fucky and irritating language ever
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]opo89[/color]) french is good
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]DarkknightM45[/color]) all the french are good at is surrendering

[color=#0000FF]Freebuild[/color] [color=#FF0000]Operator[/color]
[color=#0000FF]SMP[/color] [color=#008000]Member[/color]

us 
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 16:05 
Geek (733)
At least you gave some feedback Frank. :3

See we have been doing the simple style server for as long as I can really remember.. It just leads people to finish quicker, and get bored with nothing else to do. Which is why at least I think we should turn away from the familiar and try something completely and totally different with the server. We just don't get enough players doing the same thing over and over again without trying anything new really.

The only reason we are attracting so much attention on the temp map is that well we are one of the very few servers actually running 1.7. Most are either using 1.6 and waiting for everything, or are using 1.6 with the 1.7 framework stuff so people don't have to downgrade.

us 
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 18:38 
Crap at posting (43)
As you may have noticed. I have not been as active as I usually am on SpA. This is because I decided to take a break from the server and go find something new. I found a server that was made by GentlemanGames. He was raided by GenerikB on his stream. I decided to check him out and loved his server plan.

He has a 200 slot server. He has a builder team that goes throughout the world making towns. These towns are protected by plugins and such. He plans to map the towns an adventure theme. He wants things to do in the town and quests to complete. Once he thinks enough of these towns are built, he will make the map RPG. I would love to use this idea for the incoming 1.7 server. I would be up for helping to create the structures for the towns.

Now if this wont work out for Mbl or the lot of players dont want this change, I vote to use the town system. You would then be able to make a certain area protected from bedrock to build limit. I think it would only be reasonable to add sign trading. It uses sign commands to trade almost any item. Therefore, any area that is not a town is free game. This would be cool since we could make traps to fend of raiders.

As far as I know, previous maps have been about 4000-6000 tall and wide? I am not positive but I would like to have the map size expanded. This allows for more building, more of the new biomes, and less grief. If there is some odd reason Mbl cant do this, I understand.

To conclude this, I want to ask Mbl a question. Is it possible that if the RPG element is added (I vote FOR this) Could you make or find a Resource Pack for the server? Ever since Mojang added them, I haven't used them one bit. The pack would of course have to match the theme of the RPG. Also, if we do go with an RPG, Please PLEASE, add a storyline. The regular RPG's jst have you roam through random castles and loot them. I also prefer jungle themes...Hehe :ugly:

Thanks for not falling asleep while I blab about this. Hope it contributes to the overall decision.

-QuitPLAY-

us 
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 20:10 
Geek (733)
QuitPLAY wrote:
As you may have noticed. I have not been as active as I usually am on SpA. This is because I decided to take a break from the server and go find something new. I found a server that was made by GentlemanGames. He was raided by GenerikB on his stream. I decided to check him out and loved his server plan.

He has a 200 slot server. He has a builder team that goes throughout the world making towns. These towns are protected by plugins and such. He plans to map the towns an adventure theme. He wants things to do in the town and quests to complete. Once he thinks enough of these towns are built, he will make the map RPG. I would love to use this idea for the incoming 1.7 server. I would be up for helping to create the structures for the towns.

Now if this wont work out for Mbl or the lot of players dont want this change, I vote to use the town system. You would then be able to make a certain area protected from bedrock to build limit. I think it would only be reasonable to add sign trading. It uses sign commands to trade almost any item. Therefore, any area that is not a town is free game. This would be cool since we could make traps to fend of raiders.

As far as I know, previous maps have been about 4000-6000 tall and wide? I am not positive but I would like to have the map size expanded. This allows for more building, more of the new biomes, and less grief. If there is some odd reason Mbl cant do this, I understand.

To conclude this, I want to ask Mbl a question. Is it possible that if the RPG element is added (I vote FOR this) Could you make or find a Resource Pack for the server? Ever since Mojang added them, I haven't used them one bit. The pack would of course have to match the theme of the RPG. Also, if we do go with an RPG, Please PLEASE, add a storyline. The regular RPG's jst have you roam through random castles and loot them. I also prefer jungle themes...Hehe :ugly:

Thanks for not falling asleep while I blab about this. Hope it contributes to the overall decision.

-QuitPLAY-

That was definitely the most constructive post yet. I like the idea of this, but the thing is that we don't have time to build up the server before everything updates. The towns idea is good along with the trading with signs, and it would make everything work without having a money based economy. I think if we build a few towns, but within the RPG aspect make the final quest build a town which you unlock after everything else. We shouldn't blatantly copy anything either, but taking an idea and putting our own spin on it is what we do best.

au 
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 03:21 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
This is exactly the thing I was thinking of. Having towns scattered about with quests and small shops and such.

Yeah we can make the map bigger.

I think if we are going to do a resource pack, we need to construct it ourselves so that it fits in with the theme we are working with. But I think this would be a cool idea. Especially with the features that allow for custom sounds we could do a lot of cool things.

fi 
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 04:28 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:
-- Especially with the features that allow for custom sounds we could do a lot of cool things.
Let's all get drunk and hold a meeting via Mumble, record it and replace mob sounds with heldplayer's singing. It'd be a horror RPG!

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

ro 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 18:10 
Has learned to write! (185)
[SpA]Dolf wrote:
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:
-- Especially with the features that allow for custom sounds we could do a lot of cool things.
Let's all get drunk and hold a meeting via Mumble, record it and replace mob sounds with heldplayer's singing. It'd be a horror RPG!
Shouldn't we be doing something out of the ordinary, Dolf?

us 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013, 01:08 
Geek (839)
Hey, I'm just going to go ahead and bump this topic.

cz 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2013, 08:54 
Pretty useless (63)
[SpA]Dolf wrote:
Sounds like a plan! :D