Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:05

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
 Post subject: ftb
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 05:23 
Geek (883)
Any chance of resurrecting ftb, perhaps the new pack mindcrack is using. (When they release it)

<Assassin3562> :P
*Assassin3562 thinks his life over

us 
 Post subject: Re: ftb
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 05:38 
Geek (839)
Currently ftb is super outdated and so dead. If there is a new pack being released, depending on how many people want it, I wouldn't see a problem with having it.

cz 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2014, 09:29 
Doesn't get out much (379)
We are having hard time deciding on some pack :mrgreen:

Also whether it will include GregTech or not. (I say yes, others say no... :( :D )

at 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 12:14 
Geek (749)
I would really like if we could start hosting FTB again.

Vanilla gets rather boring after a few weeks.

They have been updating the direwolf pack a bit so we could use that maybe. I don't care honestly what pack we use just as long as we have one.

ro 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 19:47 
Has learned to write! (185)
Agreed, would love some FTB action.

be 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 20:36 
Crap at posting (46)
I didn't play much on last map, but i'd be happy if ftb would come back

[20:55] <+FBV> roqqan: pat
[20:55] <+FBV> Patogy: yes?
[20:56] <+FBV> roqqan: pat your fat :D

us 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 22:30 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (134)
I actually wonder if we would be able to get the FTB team to make SpA it's own Feed the Beast modpack. I doubt if but it would be worth a try.

<redbanana22> Ok

<_blueflame_> Im going to ride you like a pony

at 
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 22:43 
Geek (749)
redbanana22 wrote:
I actually wonder if we would be able to get the FTB team to make SpA it's own Feed the Beast modpack. I doubt if but it would be worth a try.
Usually only for well known youtubers.

cz 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 10:36 
ihasfire wrote:
redbanana22 wrote:
Usually only for well known youtubers.
Time to start recording then? :mrgreen:

cz 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 10:39 
There are other ways you know - ATLauncher mostly.

Or just use FTB Monster or something. I do play FTB Monster on another server (WHAT A WHORE I AM!) but I am starting to miss Greg's Tech! :(

au 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 11:36 
Has learned to write! (179)
Would you play on the ftb server and invest in the time to play on it?

On the past couple ftb servers we have had a nice bunch of players to start with but as the weeks go by it starts to dwindle down from 20 people to 15 then 3.
By that time, players have built massive bases, chunkloaded large areas which all uses server resources, which is fine however when players go inactive it just begins to waste server resources which begin to effect smp or other servers hosted on the machine.

Would it be feasible to run a ftb server? It would be great to have a ftb server again, deciding on a pack is also needed.

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 13:25 
Geek (839)
Yeah. Jonesy has a point here. Last map many people were around for 2-3 weeks, then before you knew it there were 3-4 people a week.

at 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 13:36 
Geek (749)
We could just give it another go, a lot has changed since we last had the map. New things were added.

au 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 13:44 
Has learned to write! (179)
Please explain ihasfire. There might be new modpacks and new additions to mods but once people have had their fun they will tend to get a bit bored.
Honestly I'd love for a ftb server to be launched but if people are just going to play for a week or two then, as arbo said, drop to an average of 3 players per week, Then is there a point in going to the effort to making a server?

be 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 15:29 
Crap at posting (46)
Maybe you could use other ways to keep people interested. How about (weekly) group events ? We could meet up and slay the dragon/wither/twilight bosses or set up an arena and have pvp stuff.

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 15:39 
Geek (839)
kick_ass wrote:
Maybe you could use other ways to keep people interested. How about (weekly) group events ? We could meet up and slay the dragon/wither/twilight bosses or set up an arena and have pvp stuff.
This could be a good idea. Even other stuff, such as "Item-Returned PvP Events" and such. A group could make an arena, legit of course, which would then be used as the arena. From there, players could compete in objective-based battles, or even free-for-all battles. Again, this would be an item-returned battle: allowing players to not lose everything. The winner could recieve something such as UV-Matter, or something of equal value. This would be depending on the pack that we use, and the amount of items obtained throughout the world.

Another idea could be a weekly, or monthly UHC with the mod pack, allowing players to obtain more weapons and armours. Due to the SMP UHC recieving such great output, I would only imagine a Modded UHC to be just as popular, if not more.

A list of possible events
Modded UHC (Weekly or Monthly)
Ender Dragon Fight (Groupwork)
Wither Fight (Weely or Monthly Groupwork)
Modded Bosses Fight (Weekly or Monthly Groupwork, depending on boss and difficulty)
Objective Based PvP (Weekly Rotation)
Non-Objective Based PvP (Weekly Rotation)
Build-Offs (Weekly Rotation)

This list could continue, based off your all's opinions on the subject. These events wouldn't be started right off the bat, due to the lack of player items. What we could do, is start these events a month in, or so: depending on how well everyone is doing, and the popularity of the subject. Leave your comments on this below, and any suggestions you may have or events.

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:02 
We could make a third party modpack, and then we just have to have someone set the modpack up and get everything ready which I would be happy to do. Would also allow us to use all the mods we want and not mods we do not want. So essentially we could have our own Feed The Beast Modpack. We could do a poll of mods people would enjoy to have.
Here are the guidelines we just have to follow:

<redbanana22> Ok

be 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:06 
Crap at posting (46)
If you make your own pack and pick random mods to add to it, won't they conflict ?

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:09 
kick_ass wrote:
If you make your own pack and pick random mods to add to it, won't they conflict ?
Not in 1.7 forge since all block ids have been removed from forge. I am currently rewriting my mod to remove my block ids.
Forge now registers the unlocatized name. For example in my mod is bananafood:exampleitem

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:12 
So their will be no sort of problem with conflicts useless the mod other is a total deuce and forgets to remove his block id code. Even then another mod other would have to use to same block id. So the chances are now slim to none of conflicts. Even if we need to use like 1.6 for the modpack most modders provide a config file to change their block ids.

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:16 
I have done a lot of research into the third party modpacks so if anyone has some questions feel free to ask.

<redbanana22> Ok

cz 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:53 
I talked with mbl more than once about our custom modpack.

Basically - we do not want private. We want anybody to be able to join without any hassle. Thus (semi)public is required. That limits us from many mods. (Actually I think that Thaumcraft changed policy on public modpacks with 4.1 release, which is a good news! lol)

I built a custom modpack and tested it (hi Jonesy!) for quite some time - it had Gregtech in it (aka the way to keep people occupied for more than a week) and was balanced around it (ok, not perfectly, I dropped some mods later on - like EnderIO - to keep it more balanced). I was still not decided on many mods - like galacticraft and so on (they are great, but fairly resource heavy sometimes).

And I was leaning more towards ATLauncher over FTB because you have way more control on ATL.

Also 1.7 is out of the question for now because there are (from the major mods) almost none. And yes, some mod devs for 1.6 were #$! and did not do the proper math around block IDs. (Hi Bibliocraft/JABBA!)

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:56 
[SpA]OndraSter wrote:
I talked with mbl more than once about our custom modpack.

Basically - we do not want private. We want anybody to be able to join without any hassle. Thus (semi)public is required. That limits us from many mods. (Actually I think that Thaumcraft changed policy on public modpacks with 4.1 release, which is a good news! lol)

I built a custom modpack and tested it (hi Jonesy!) for quite some time - it had Gregtech in it (aka the way to keep people occupied for more than a week) and was balanced around it (ok, not perfectly, I dropped some mods later on - like EnderIO - to keep it more balanced). I was still not decided on many mods - like galacticraft and so on (they are great, but fairly resource heavy sometimes).

And I was leaning more towards ATLauncher over FTB because you have way more control on ATL.

Also 1.7 is out of the question for now because there are (from the major mods) almost none. And yes, some mod devs for 1.6 were #$! and did not do the proper math around block IDs. (Hi Bibliocraft/JABBA!)
I see what you mean. Anyway getting mod authors permissions is also very annoying. Since most of them seem to be so far stuck up that they only want people to download it from their forum post, for that little bit of ad money.

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:59 
Anyway with the Feed the beast Code system. You would just have to enter the code in and then you should have it in your launcher. If I remember how that system works.

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 00:05 
Geek (733)
Yes; we need to choose a widely accessible mod pack to use for the server. It should have gregtech in it because, as much as everyone hated it in the first map, it will keep the players occupied for a longer time. As for chunk loaders, perhaps they and spot loaders could be blacklisted and you would get ~2 spot loaders in a starter kit you can only get once. (If that will be possible to have) I would probably play a little bit if this comes back.

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 04:01 
Would the server run like a bukkit server? If so would their be ranks?

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 04:44 
Geek (839)
Alright so basically after reading all of your all's input, along with talking with mbl about the subject, I have a couple answers for everyone, if not exact answers, then they're pretty close.

Basically we need to look at mods that are fun and helpful, but don't ruin the server with lag. This means nothing that will generate game-destroying biomes, along with a limitation on who can do what. Chunkloaders can be a problem, and will most likely be limited to a (16) chunk area, or we could settle with the lesser form such as Cod said, but with no limitations. This will allow players to keep their quarries running, along with their farms and whatever else they enjoy. Quarries will also need to be limited to a smaller area. I was thinking possibly no larger than 100x100, or something of that nature. Last map people would have extremely large quarries set up that created constant lag, and this is unfortunate to those who have crap FPS in the first place.
Along with limitations dealing with lag, we also need to look at the grief/protection part of mods. For example, Thaumcraft has items in it that could be used for major grief. Now don't get me wrong, Thaumcraft is a wonderul mod that'll almost certainly be used: however there are other things are there not quite as safe. This includes, but not limited to TNT and explosives, IndustrialCraft and BuildCraft tools and machinery, and other weaponry mods. Rules will need to be strictly inforced on this matter, and if anyone would like to suggest and/or find a mod that can (lag-free, area-prot free) protect blocks and chests, feel free to do so.

Ranks and Whatnot
Basically ranks are possible, but aren't necessary to the running of the server. Two suggestions would be, but again not limited to these ranks:

Guest, Member, Op, Trustee, Owner
Default, OP, Trustee, Owner

The top suggestion gives regulars a colorful name, whereas the bottom suggestion is just the common ranks. Honestly, permissions wouldn't really be needed with a ModPack, because there would be no restrictions that could be "unlockable", for most restrictions will be due to the reduction of lag.

ModPacks and Customs
If you all want to create a modpack for us, that would be terrific. If you wish, you can create one based off what you think the server should have, and then show it to mbl; you can also talk with mbl beforehand making the pack, and you'll then know what mods are required, then can go off of that. We'd like to use one that is already created, however if you look at most: almost all have many many mods and would create saddening drops of FPS.

To what I said earlier,
Based off of mbl's reaction and comments to what I said, the Enderdragon and Wither fights would be... Difficult. Just because non-forum players could early kill the dragon, and the Wither can cause some lag. Therefor, those events (probably) won't happen.
PvP can still happen, but maybe with a lesser tier armour, not unbreakable. :P If PvP happens, it would be something with all iron-leveled armour, along with tools of your choice. This is just because some armour is a hella lot more protective than some, and can be unfair to players.
Building challenges are definitely a possibility. Building topics could be "Automatic Furnace-Filler", or who can build the best defense against something. Ideas are endless, and can be discussed at a later date.

If anyone else has questions, or mbl/Jonesy/Ondra if you see anything here I said differently than what you're thinking, go ahead and pop a comment. Of course that offer goes to you all, but those people are the ones who I've shared ideas with. (Well, besides Ondra.)

be 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 14:52 
Crap at posting (46)
I also think that ranks aren't really necesssary except for moderation purposes. As for the modpack, picking a standard one would be faster but creating our own could be fun. Next thing, lag. I believe quarries are limited to 64x64( could have changed by now) and it kinda acts like a chunkloader. A limit to these is deffinitely needed( 1 quarry per player ?) as they can create a ton of lag.

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 15:04 
Geek (839)
kick_ass wrote:
I also think that ranks aren't really necesssary except for moderation purposes. As for the modpack, picking a standard one would be faster but creating our own could be fun. Next thing, lag. I believe quarries are limited to 64x64( could have changed by now) and it kinda acts like a chunkloader. A limit to these is deffinitely needed( 1 quarry per player ?) as they can create a ton of lag.
Right, exactly. I wasn't sure the quarry perimeters, so thank you for clearing that up. As for limitations on them, not sure how many a player can have. I feel 1 is too less, but that may be what we end up deciding. If there are multiple players living together, then of course they could all just team up with their quarries and building systems.

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 23:35 
Right now I do not believe a custom modpack would be possible due to the fact most mods are still back in 1.4.5. So once they have caught up I believe I could get a test modpack set up for mbl to look at. Also it is in the buildcraft config file, but I was thinking we have quarries on a blacklist for maybe like members+. Since I would not like to trust someone that first joined the server to have a machine that could flatten a entire city. Anyway if we used a set up blacklisted items we would be able to have people a reason to work on trying to rank up. Anyway the server would only really need ranks for moderation. Also if their were ranks would they be like the same ranks as our normal server?

<redbanana22> Ok