Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:21

All times are UTC+01:00

be 
 Post subject: Re: ftb
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 23:39 
Crap at posting (46)
I don't think quarries need to be blacklisted. If i remember correctly the last 2 maps of ftb had a whitelist so griefing shouldn't be a problem.

[20:55] <+FBV> roqqan: pat
[20:55] <+FBV> Patogy: yes?
[20:56] <+FBV> roqqan: pat your fat :D

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 00:02 
Geek (839)
Quarries won't need to be blacklisted, and the server won't be whitelisted (not that I know of). The no-whitelist is for more players to be able to join, and easier on their part. As for quarries, they aren't a walk in the park to obtain, they take some time to create. Griefers won't take that time just to make a griefing device.

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 00:09 
Geek (733)
Arbogeddon wrote:
Quarries won't need to be blacklisted, and the server won't be whitelisted (not that I know of). The no-whitelist is for more players to be able to join, and easier on their part. As for quarries, they aren't a walk in the park to obtain, they take some time to create. Griefers won't take that time just to make a griefing device.
The issue isn't griefing with quarries. The issue is that someone could make 5 64x64 ones and load all those chunks. That would eat up resources and cause lag.

au 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 01:55 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
With gregtech, it is really difficult to even get one quarry, let alone 5 or 6.

The quarrys are not the source of the lag anyway. Its the other things that people don't really think about such as IC2 Power Loops, and systems where there is only just not enough power to run it and so the machines are changing states all the time.

As for ranks, we would need to consider, are we even going to use MCPC+? or should we just go with a 'vanilla' modded server and just give op to a handful of people? MCPC+ would allow us to add a bunch of bukkit plugins, some of which are tailored towards modded servers. With this we can limit blocks to ranks, possibly add protections, and give out some friendlier admin tools.

As for modpacks, I recently constructed a modpack that a few of my friends really liked, it is rather similar to the old mindcrack pack.
ModList:
All of these mods in the pack seem to have a really nice progression to them. After playing for a week or so I was just making it off of the bronze tier in IC2. No where close to a quarry or other fast mining tools. Ended up rocking a TConstruct set of tools as they were the best option at the time.

One of the problems was Taint from Thaumcraft4. I would assume that we would need to turn this off for the server to work. The other problem is that people could grief others by fully draining their nodes and such. Meaning that players would need to create some strong bases and protect their nodes.

Would we want to play as everyone being happy neighbors where we just build and help each other? or would we want to have some competitive/PVP element. I feel that it may bring people back as you would need to check in and see how things are going. The problem with it is that people won't be making cool builds and fancy automation.

With arbos events that he suggested, they sound really cool, however they may not work too well on modded servers. Wither fights, once people are high tier will be as trivial as killing a zombie. Modded bosses, such as those in the twilight forest would be cool to do as a group, but it seems a bit silly to have them set out on a schedule, I think it would be better if a group of players just decided - 'Hey lets try and conquer this boss' - and then went and did so. Some of the PVP things might be cool we just need a way to structure them and make sure that player X isn't in some God armor and player Y isn't using some super instakill weapon. The buildoffs could be very modpack based, such as 'best way to automate _____'. Players can then make a hugely complex and intricate system or something small and elegant and then the player who finds the best way (not necessarily the cheapest) would win (Perhaps if there are enough contenders we could have multiple prizes for the player who is fastest and the player who did it the most complex).

Anyway if you guys are really serious about this, lets start looking at putting the mod pack together and creating a server :5:

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 02:05 
Geek (733)
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:

The quarrys are not the source of the lag anyway. Its the other things that people don't really think about such as IC2 Power Loops, and systems where there is only just not enough power to run it and so the machines are changing states all the time.

As for ranks, we would need to consider, are we even going to use MCPC+? or should we just go with a 'vanilla' modded server and just give op to a handful of people? MCPC+ would allow us to add a bunch of bukkit plugins, some of which are tailored towards modded servers. With this we can limit blocks to ranks, possibly add protections, and give out some friendlier admin tools.

As for modpacks, I recently constructed a modpack that a few of my friends really liked, it is rather similar to the old mindcrack pack.
ModList:
All of these mods in the pack seem to have a really nice progression to them. After playing for a week or so I was just making it off of the bronze tier in IC2. No where close to a quarry or other fast mining tools. Ended up rocking a TConstruct set of tools as they were the best option at the time.

One of the problems was Taint from Thaumcraft4. I would assume that we would need to turn this off for the server to work. The other problem is that people could grief others by fully draining their nodes and such. Meaning that players would need to create some strong bases and protect their nodes.

Would we want to play as everyone being happy neighbors where we just build and help each other? or would we want to have some competitive/PVP element. I feel that it may bring people back as you would need to check in and see how things are going. The problem with it is that people won't be making cool builds and fancy automation.

With arbos events that he suggested, they sound really cool, however they may not work too well on modded servers. Wither fights, once people are high tier will be as trivial as killing a zombie. Modded bosses, such as those in the twilight forest would be cool to do as a group, but it seems a bit silly to have them set out on a schedule, I think it would be better if a group of players just decided - 'Hey lets try and conquer this boss' - and then went and did so. Some of the PVP things might be cool we just need a way to structure them and make sure that player X isn't in some God armor and player Y isn't using some super instakill weapon. The buildoffs could be very modpack based, such as 'best way to automate _____'. Players can then make a hugely complex and intricate system or something small and elegant and then the player who finds the best way (not necessarily the cheapest) would win (Perhaps if there are enough contenders we could have multiple prizes for the player who is fastest and the player who did it the most complex).

Anyway if you guys are really serious about this, lets start looking at putting the mod pack together and creating a server :5:
That pack sounds nice, and I still remember pretty much the basics from most of those mods. The modded build off thing is really cool. I remember a series Direwolf20 did, and it was something basically the same as this. The ranks though, could go either way. With MCPC+ we could have the default, member, op, owner. The other ranks aren't really necessary at all to something like this, and would go along with the plugins i.e. protections. Plain vanilla would give it that pure feeling, and only the ones deemed completely essential could have the Op privileges. I'm fine with both.

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:33 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (134)
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:

ModList:

Mbl are we allowed to ask to see mods added?
If so then I think this would be a good time to mention my rewrite for Banana Food will be done soon. I would love to have it with the mod pack.

<redbanana22> Ok

<_blueflame_> Im going to ride you like a pony

au 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:36 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Sure yeah, That list I provided was only a suggestion. As you can see it contains 'DiscoTek' written by Heldplayer and I :p

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:43 
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:
Sure yeah, That list I provided was only a suggestion. As you can see it contains 'DiscoTek' written by Heldplayer and I :p
So I never knew Held and you wrote a mod. I should have to a rewrite done by Monday. I will send you a PM with a download link if you like. Not very many descent textures since I made them all, so sorry once I get it done that the textures will look like someone threw paint at a screen.

<redbanana22> Ok

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:44 
Also how would we distribute the mod pack?

<redbanana22> Ok

au 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:47 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Good question... Thats one of the issues right now. We may need to apply for a modpack on the FTB Launcher or ATlauncher. Not sure how all that works though

us 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 03:53 
Mbl this best way to do that is through the 3rd party modpacks. I can send you some links to it if you like.

<redbanana22> Ok

au 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 06:51 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Sure, PM me :D

cz 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 09:57 
Doesn't get out much (379)
Back in January I started working on ATLauncher list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

this.

Mbl, no morph pls, unless all the flying morphs are disabled lol. Otherwise it is VERY OP.

// those permissions were for private pack. I will re-do it for public one and see the result.

The good thing about ATL is that if you do not have permissions, the users will be asked to download the file and put it into certain folder.

//// Just noticed on ATL:
Quote:
Please note that we are not accepting anymore public or semi public packs. Your still welcome to submit them, but they will most likely be denied unless they are properly unique and never been done before with a very unique idea.

Btw you can always DISABLE mods on the server side without client requiring that. (Ofc not the other way around.)

////// also:
a) Ars Magica is quite crashy (might be related only to mcpc+ though?) and likes to prevent any griefprevention mods.
b) Factorization? Why? People use it mostly for barrels - and I like JABBA much better for that.
c) i hope that your TE was tuned for harder recipes and requiring steel. :P

be 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 11:01 
Crap at posting (46)
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:

ModList:

I like the mods in this modpack, but could extra utilities be added to it ?

cz 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 11:10 
I missed compactsolars - no need for them since Greg has his own now :P. And they are covers on blocks! COVERS!!!
And advancedsolars are way too cheap/cheaty.

au 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 13:51 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
I dunno if I like the ATLauncher. Its a bit strange and I don't like the pack customizations. Perhaps there is an FTB pack that suits our needs

be 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 14:45 
Crap at posting (46)
The monster pack and the direwolf20 one seem to have most of the mods. The only thing they don't have is gregtech, but we can add that.

cz 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 16:43 
kick_ass wrote:
The monster pack and the direwolf20 one seem to have most of the mods. The only thing they don't have is gregtech, but we can add that.
[SpA]mbl111 wrote:
I don't like the pack customizations.
;)

There are no 1.6 packs from FTB with GT in it.

FTB Monster is great, but nowhere near balancable for Gregtech. Too many easy mods that would break the GT completely. DW20 is easier to achieve that.

be 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 19:33 
Has no REAL life! (1086)
This might be a radical question, but what if we just don't add GregTech at all? :ugly:

cz 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 09:01 
People will be done with all the mods within a week since most of them have no progression. And the server will be empty for most of the day. With GT you have to work your way up in the chain. The same way you like MagicFarm, the way we like GT.

us 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 20:44 
Geek (883)
I want the mindcrack mod pack bc it will have ppl on daily and and it's fun

<Assassin3562> :P
*Assassin3562 thinks his life over

cz 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 21:12 
I want Resonant Rise because it has DartCraft which has never been cheaty! oh wait.

Also 1.6.4 version of mindcrack is not on the FTB Launcher yet. Also there is no GT in it :D

us 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 21:15 
A mod I want to have in the server is going to be Computercraft and open peripherals.

<redbanana22> Ok

at 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 21:53 
Geek (749)
I would just like the server up. :ugly:

cz 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 22:42 
:D

be 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 23:32 
Crap at posting (46)
They still have to release the crack the beast pack and it could take a while before they release it. I would also just like the server up.

au 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 00:49 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
ihasfire wrote:
I would just like the server up. :ugly:
Thats like saying you want to bake a cake without flour...

But anyway, what if we go with the direwolf pack. Yes there is no gregtech, which sucks but IC2 Experimental is getting a little harder than just the normal IC2. I understand that we may have problems with people getting things too quickly, but I do think there are some aspects that we can make harder through the configs.

AE will have a boosted power usage as that is really OP and its too easy to maintain a system with the default config. As for other mods, I'm not suree what can be customized, but I will have a look at them.

How does the DW20 (v1.0.18) pack sound? Its on the FTB launcher.

be 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 02:09 
Crap at posting (46)
direwolf pack sounds great, I' ve been using it a bit and I quite like it. Making stuff harder with the config would be necessary, but how does that work? I don't really understand how config can make a mod harder.

au 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 02:17 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Some configs, such as the one for Applied Energistics, has a setting for the amount of power used by its machines. By raising this number we can make it a lot harder.

I assume other mods will have similar settings

at 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2014, 09:42 
Geek (749)
I've been playing on direwolf aswell, I'd vote for that.