nl 
 Post subject: Microsoft to buy Mojang
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 09:26 
Community slut (13473)
http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsof ... 1410300213

fi 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 10:34 
Has no REAL life! (1690)

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 18:28 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Some more info according to eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014- ... ion-report

Would be pretty awful if such a successful indie game just ends up being scoffed into the scummy mass that is microsoft.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 21:54 
SpA Fookah (4459)
To everyone who isn't a billionair yet, you're doing something wrong!

Man, if digital lego can get you this kind a dow, I'm feeling like a gigantic loser that I don't take one of my ideas and build it into something succesful....

us 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 23:29 
Geek (733)
I really hope this doesn't happen, but it appears it will. Hopefully, when it does, Microsoft won't make a mess of things. :(

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2014, 23:33 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
I expect that they're pretty much buying it for the playerbase. Nothing like selling content to players directly.

There's also rumors floating around that Notch won't hang around for much longer after the deal is made.
http://kotaku.com/report-notch-to-leave ... 1632871715

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 12:50 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Would they pay that much money just for a playerbase?
You mean as in turning it into a paid game so ppl can't continue without paying?
Or do you mean just a database of players that you can reach? Can't imagine ppl would pay that much for only that...

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 14:48 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
Well just think of how much monetisation is avaliable in minecraft. I know that on the Xbox you have to actually pay for skins and even then you get predefined ones.
I'm sure they'll find a way to make all the 13 year olds to spend money from their parents wallet.

I hope they add tophats

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 15:36 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I wonder. There's certainly some field they're gonna milk money out, why else pay so much money? That'll never be because it's from the good of their hearts.
Would you stand for your principles and refuse this much money because you want to keep minecraft as it is if it was your creation?
I definitely wouldn't. Man, if I was bettering the world philanthropically on a level that I was fighting hunger, corruption worldwide and human trafficking, you'd probably have me think for a few seconds when getting offered this much money...
Imagine what it does to you when you "just" have a freaking game that they're offering to buy from ya.
I would, in less then a heartbeat. I wouldn't even consider if it was worth more then 2 billion and ask other parties if they'd be interested. I'd cash in and yeah, would be shit to see your life's project/baby be commercialized and killed by the A holes at MS, but shit man, 2 fucking billion!
You can invite all your minecraft buddies, sip margeritas on a beach and if someone's still interested in minecrafting, you just let the local reseller bring you a giant box of legos! Sheesh....

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 16:48 
SpA Fookah (4459)
I was wondering.
Minecraft is open source now, right?

Would it be possible to just keep running the version you guys play with and screw whatever change MS wants to make ? That'd be funny :mrgreen:

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 17:39 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
I was wondering.
Minecraft is open source now, right?

Would it be possible to just keep running the version you guys play with and screw whatever change MS wants to make ? That'd be funny :mrgreen:
Nah, it isn't opensource.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 17:44 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
Bare in mind they're Buying the company as a whole too.

They also own the game Scrolls, which is a kind of card game and Cobalt, which is a 3rd party published game so I'm not sure what's going on with that.
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
Would it be possible to just keep running the version you guys play with and screw whatever change MS wants to make ?
That could be possible to an extent, we're able to run multiple versions of the game via the client. It used to be what we did whenever minecraft had a big update because all the servers need to be made from scratch again, so we'd run the old version for a bit. But you'll still be reliant on the login servers and such.

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 19:17 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Let's go rogue, close up shop and reopen Fb!!!

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 20:25 
Geek (733)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Fantastic! I like your thinking! :5:

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 23:27 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
If only it still worked.

at 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 23:32 
Geek (749)
Fix boats, or riot.

ca 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 23:34 
Geek (776)
Mojang is terrible anyways, Microsoft will be better. Did someone say fb???!

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 23:39 
Here's how I look at this situation, if Microsoft does buy Mojang then I hope they leave them as an independent company. If they do so then I'll be happy. Microsoft has more funding so Mojang could get a lot out off this deal, only crappy part is that Minecraft and other games won't be on other consoles depending on Microsoft's rules.

Blah blah blah, tl;dr, long story short: There are good and bad things that can come out of this. I'm interested to see how it goes.

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 23:49 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (127)
Just wait for Minecraft: Halo to come out...

(don't even own any sort of xbox, lol)

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 13:06 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Microsoft may know better than to mess with a working game model and stuff like DLCs are unlikely to be a thing because of the "buy alpha get the full game and all future features" ethic they started with. I'm not sure if they can legally go back on that.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 16:25 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
So from this Article at MCV: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/notch-to ... ut/0138294
Quote:
Financial Times reports that Persson owns a 70 per cent stake in Mojang, meaning he would personally pocket $1.4bn should the expected deal be completed.
That's crazy, plus the fact he's supposedly considering leaving after the deal. He could make his own sky fort!

us 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 16:43 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (127)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Microsoft may know better than to mess with a working game model and stuff like DLCs are unlikely to be a thing because of the "buy alpha get the full game and all future features" ethic they started with. I'm not sure if they can legally go back on that.
Depends on if there was an alpha version for consoles.
Don't see how they'd be able to do that for PC players.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2014, 16:58 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
jdue722blues wrote:
Depends on if there was an alpha version for consoles.
Don't see how they'd be able to do that for PC players.
https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/600767

Although they could charge everyone who bought it after alpha, it would be a messy and controversial move, and it's still Mojang. It really comes down to the terms they come to with Microsoft.

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2014, 23:02 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
On Monday, it is expected that Microsoft will reveal that they have come to a $2.5 billion deal with Minecraft creator, Mojang. This is according to a new report from Reuters and a "source (that was) briefed on the matter."

For those keeping track of this at home, this is a $500 million increase over the previously rumored amount of money.

The real kicker is that this acquisition isn't necessarily being made with the Xbox One in mind. No, it's actually being made to help out the Windows Phone. Yes, $2.5 billion for one game, one studio, and one IP for the Windows Phone.

“It seems like Microsoft is looking at Mojang and Minecraft as a way to tap into this enormous cultural phenomenon," said Dave Bisceglia, Chief Executive of independent game studio Tap Lab. "If you look at iOS, Minecraft has been a top-grossing game for quite some time, if Microsoft could on Windows phones give players a unique and compelling experience that you can't get on the other platforms, that could be a driver to sell devices to existing Minecraft fans.”

Markus "notch" Persson once said that Mojang would probably never develop Minecraft for the Windows Phone because as far as market share goes, it is insignificant. He wasn't wrong.

(via statista)

Interestingly enough, $2.5 billion could have been used to fund five games on the same budget of Destiny. This includes development and marketing. Along the same lines, it could have been used to fund over nine games that were the size and scope of Grand Theft Auto V (with a budget said to be $265 million). That should be especially eye opening here that instead of spending any of that money on developing within the studios that they already own, Microsoft is spending it on one studio that released one hit game.

cz 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 00:42 
Doesn't get out much (379)
I still call fake and/or hoax ;)

us 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2014, 01:34 
[SpA]OndraSter wrote:
Always a possibility.

be 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 15:34 
Has no REAL life! (1086)
Let's hope they say "April fools!" tomorrow.. Even though it isn't April...

cz 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 18:14 
Doesn't get out much (379)
[SpA]OndraSter wrote:
STILL!

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 18:20 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Quote:
The real kicker is that this acquisition isn't necessarily being made with the Xbox One in mind. No, it's actually being made to help out the Windows Phone. Yes, $2.5 billion for one game, one studio, and one IP for the Windows Phone.

“It seems like Microsoft is looking at Mojang and Minecraft as a way to tap into this enormous cultural phenomenon," said Dave Bisceglia, Chief Executive of independent game studio Tap Lab. "If you look at iOS, Minecraft has been a top-grossing game for quite some time, if Microsoft could on Windows phones give players a unique and compelling experience that you can't get on the other platforms, that could be a driver to sell devices to existing Minecraft fans.” [...]

Interestingly enough, $2.5 billion could have been used to fund five games on the same budget of Destiny. This includes development and marketing. Along the same lines, it could have been used to fund over nine games that were the size and scope of Grand Theft Auto V (with a budget said to be $265 million). That should be especially eye opening here that instead of spending any of that money on developing within the studios that they already own, Microsoft is spending it on one studio that released one hit game.
If that's true, they're just spending 2.5 billion to prevent people playing Minecraft on future devices so they can boost their desperate efforts of conquering the phone market. I really dislike how restriction or removal of content is an acceptable way to sell products, not that it's a new thing at all. All that money to buy someone elses work instead of actually developing new games or projects. It's too easy to hate microsoft.

us 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2014, 22:27 
Pretty useless (66)
Well let's hope they leave Mojang to their own thing...
I am just hoping they don't add the "skin packs" that they have for the Xbox.