Some of you have said that you'd like to help run a highlander or would like to run one while I'm gone. In the interest of encouraging stuff like this I'm putting this on the public board rather than in the members section, I've just removed the passwords etc
First of all:
- Enable your console in TF2 (Options > Advanced > Enable Developer Console. You can change the console keybind under 'Keyboard')
- Connect to the Events server. If you can't find it in your server browser then enter this into your console:
connect 184.108.40.206:25015; password [nameofpassword]
I won't make the password to Events public in case randoms start using our server, but you all know what it is anyway
- Once you're in the server enter the rcon password.
We're keeping the rcon password secret so randoms can't change stuff on the server. If you're running a highlander or something similar and need to know the password then send me a message.
this is the only 'rcon' command we use that contains an underscore (the _ symbol). Everything else has a space between 'rcon' and the rest of the command.
If you're entering a console command but it isn't working then try adding 'rcon' to the front of it.
To load a map use the 'rcon changelevel' command.
rcon changelevel <nameofmap>
rcon changelevel pl_upward
For some maps you'll need to be very specific with the map file name as you'll need to include the version number, e.g:
rcon changelevel koth_ashville_rc1
Version numbers are found almost exclusively on custom maps, valve maps are simpler (with the exception of cp_gullywash_final1 which does include the version number)
First you'll need to know which config you want to use. This changes depending on the type of map you're playing. At the moment we're using the UGC rules although other leagues (e.g ETF2L) have their own rules and configs if you prefer those.
For UGC configs:
1. ugc_HL_koth.cfg - Use with KOTH maps. maps (e.g koth_product_rc8) Settings: Match Winner is first to reach 4 TOTAL round wins, with a maximum 3 round wins in a half.
2. ugc_HL_standard.cfg - Use with Standard CP maps. (e.g cp_gullywash_final1 Settings: Match Winner is first to reach 5 TOTAL round wins, with a maximum 4 round wins or 30 minutes allowed in a half.
3. ugc_HL_stopwatch.cfg - Use with Attack/Defend maps. (e.g pl_upward, cp_steel) Settings: Match Winner is first to reach 2 TOTAL half wins.
Remember, whenever you load up a new map make sure you've switched to the correct config!
(And if you're not running the event then please remind the person who is to change it
To load a config:
rcon exec <nameofconfig>.cfg
rcon exec ugc_HL_stopwatch.cfg
To reload the config, enter this command again. Reloading the config is the best way to 'restart' the game!
Config files will need to be updated after big TF2 updates, particularly ones that add new hats/weapons to the game. You can download the UGC pack here.
The other server-related things I haven't covered are to do with adding custom maps to the server and updating the config files/changing the whitelist, but you shouldn't need to worry about this for most highlanders. Ask me or Saint or someone with access to Mr. Blue to handle that stuff