Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 08:33

All times are UTC+02:00

us 
 Post subject: Train
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 19:57 
Crap at posting (25)
Ok so while I was playing I thought of an idea. How epic would it be to have a train that went around the Minecraft world! I was thinking a powered rail system...it would be a nice way to get around but you would still be able to enjoy the scenery of the world. Or it would just be a good way to quickly cross water or other obstacles. something that is really easy to quickly jump on and ride, to any point you desire if you have a cart handy. Now this would be something that I would enjoy to build, but I don't see how I can do this with the residence system. Now I could just build but I already know that It's going to get destroyed without protection, and what's the fun in that? So is there anyway to make this a reality?

us 
 Post subject: Re: Train
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 20:05 
Geek (631)
There has been a lotttt of posts about railways if you looked at any of the older posts, but the problem with railways is that they cause a lot of unnecessary lag to the server, and will end up slowing the game for everyone. We used minecarts in the last main map, and it just ended up being abandoned and taking up a lot of space, not to mention lag. This has been suggested a few times, but has been turned down due to lag and other reasons, we have portals to get people any places they need to go, other than that people can always walk like they normally would have to :P

[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I CANT MOVE
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I HAVE POLIO
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: HELP

[22:21] <@UNICORN_XD> *facedesk* sciece is so broing

us 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 21:07 
Doesn't get out much (327)
To build a train you need, well, trains. You don't have any, you have minecarts, which are not trains.

If I could direct your attention to this topic.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 21:21 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Minecarts are real nice way to travel, because you're actually travelling not just warping/teleporting, so a journey is a journey. Plus there's stations and all other fun things, provided you give the tracks room, protection from mobs, and keep the powered tracks off slopes, they appear to reliable enough. The network on the last map was built kinder bad, so as far as I know it was abandoned, but the rails we had on an older map were well organised and usable (minecarts were worse if anything back then) but we didn't disable teleporting, so no one needed to use them. So yeah sorry Bro, they would be nice, they seem to work on other servers fine, but well there you have it, everyone's going to live in a tower.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 00:34 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Dear god
They don't work in single player, they don't work on other servers, there is no functional system for setting them up and controlling their directions well and they are the most lag inducing things in Minecraft. No, they did NOT work on the old server at all. Anyone who thinks they did is totally fucking delusional. They took hundreds of hours to build, looked ridiculous and were never bloody used!

Sure, the idea of minecarts/trains is great, but as long as Notch is "coding" this game it will never happen.

Move. The fuck. On.

cl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 00:54 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
No need to rage, bro'. I don't like the idea as a transport method either, (although I do think it can be beautiful if done correctly), but I've seen them implemented and working on other servers... Just saying.

be 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 01:18 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
On the map with "SpAradise city" the minecarts crashed while we were riding them. We were stuck in nowhere and couldn't get out. This was for everyone using them. I don't believe Notch has bothered to fix that or even knows of it. So that's a pretty severe bug for people who don't know more than getting in and out of minecarts.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 01:20 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
PetePorty wrote:
No need to rage, bro'. I don't like the idea as a transport method either, (although I do think it can be beautiful if done correctly), but I've seen them implemented and working on other servers... Just saying.
First I aint your bro, white boy.
Second I doubt you've seen them implemented well anywhere. The entire system would have to massive, stupidly complex and ungriefable to even be potentially useful and that is before you take lag into consideration.
Third I'll rage at what the fuck I like. I have answered this question time and time again but no fucker listens. There is even a fucking sticky about this exact subject at the top of the page!!!

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 02:09 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
heldplayer wrote:
On the map with "SpAradise city" the minecarts crashed while we were riding them. We were stuck in nowhere and couldn't get out. This was for everyone using them. I don't believe Notch has bothered to fix that or even knows of it. So that's a pretty severe bug for people who don't know more than getting in and out of minecarts.
Yeah they were fixed after that, when we had to make new boosters because notch had also capped the speed when he made the fix, you could go from SpAradise to Kai city no problem, but then we got an update and stopped using the old map.

Minecarts work, there are some silly things that stop the carts, like putting boosters on a slope, coliding with blocks, or blocks beside but under the cart that are larger than a block, but you can't go wrong as long as you give the cart some room. I just find it quite bizarre that they cause lag issues, more so than personal gateways or redstone, maybe the powered tracks, but all you would have to is put a pressure track down so the all tracks are unpowered until a cart passes over them. I mean they're just tracks, how could they lag of all things? Why does it only appear to be our server that has issues with them? You'd also find no shortage of people who want to lay down the tracks, it's a romantic little feature to the game, and look great when so long as your not doing a 1x1 cobble bridge with them.

au 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 02:35 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
The problem is the carts that are left on the track. People decide to leave them which cause lag, but then i do believe there is the problem of them duping when left on the track? Which then causes more lag

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 02:37 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
heldplayer wrote:
Yeah they were fixed after that, when we had to make new boosters because notch had also capped the speed when he made the fix, you could go from SpAradise to Kai city no problem, but then we got an update and stopped using the old map.

Minecarts work, there are some silly things that stop the carts, like putting boosters on a slope, coliding with blocks, or blocks beside but under the cart that are larger than a block, but you can't go wrong as long as you give the cart some room. I just find it quite bizarre that they cause lag issues, more so than personal gateways or redstone, maybe the powered tracks, but all you would have to is put a pressure track down so the all tracks are unpowered until a cart passes over them. I mean they're just tracks, how could they lag of all things? Why does it only appear to be our server that has issues with them? You'd also find no shortage of people who want to lay down the tracks, it's a romantic little feature to the game, and look great when so long as your not doing a 1x1 cobble bridge with them.
Show me these mystical servers with their wondrous cart systems that function perfectly and I will happily go and check them out to find their secret.

Seriously, I'd love to have carts - they are potentially great - but the code is wank. For starters abandoned carts/boats/items left scattered about the map are a HUGE resource drain on the server. While things are abandoned anywhere in a chunk, that chunk and the ones touching it do not unload. Sure there are ways to address this but they are kinda brute force and have more drawbacks than benefits. Further more the way the carts calculate velocity is just broken, especially if a track goes over a chunk border. Carts stick, jam, lose inertia, stop dead, fall through the floor...the list goes on. Even the core behaviour of the carts is broken. When you travel in a cart you're sending a lot more data back and forth to the server so that you, your cart, your speed and your acceleration can be updated. It should be obvious why they cause lag.

Seriously - find me a server - a real server with a lot of people on it - that uses carts and I will go and see how they do it.

Until then, can we shut up about a feature that even Notch himself has commented on as being broken.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 04:10 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Ah yeah using the carts I can see why that lags, it seemed like you were saying the tracks were. I'd imagine that other servers use minecraft mania which sorts out the silly notch stuff, like friction, speed, mobs and empty carts blocking the track or keeping chunks loaded. I think minecarts passing through chunks, stopping dropping you into the floor was fixed, I have experienced that bug, but yeah I just remember it being fixed.
Here's a random video, it's on an smp server, has stations and what have you. I could find servers with railways but I don't think I could pull the owner on for a chat about minecarts :mrgreen:

cl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 04:23 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
Orcworm has a somewhat nice railway system.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 05:50 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Ah yeah using the carts I can see why that lags, it seemed like you were saying the tracks were. I'd imagine that other servers use minecraft mania which sorts out the silly notch stuff, like friction, speed, mobs and empty carts blocking the track or keeping chunks loaded. I think minecarts passing through chunks, stopping dropping you into the floor was fixed, I have experienced that bug, but yeah I just remember it being fixed.
Here's a random video, it's on an smp server, has stations and what have you. I could find servers with railways but I don't think I could pull the owner on for a chat about minecarts :mrgreen:

YouTube video
That is less than 100 blocks long and is on an empty server. Plus, it is stupidly slow and does not branch.

Orcworm has some tracks about but it is far from being a network and it is hardly used.

This is my point - Minecarts are simply not used on the scale you want them to be. Its pure myth.

cl 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 06:50 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
That's why I accept that they're not a good transport method, but it is pretty cool, IMHO... I bet there are people willing to build them, and maybe not have a huge network, but people could pay to get linked to the railway... Just an idea.

us 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 08:32 
Doesn't get out much (327)
Just so there is no more misunderstanding, I would like to direct everybody to this website.

ca 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 09:41 
Doesn't get out much (377)
PetePorty wrote:
That's why I accept that they're not a good transport method, but it is pretty cool, IMHO... I bet there are people willing to build them, and maybe not have a huge network, but people could pay to get linked to the railway... Just an idea.
Its been 'just an idea' a hundred times.
And the answer, always No.
I was never into this whole debate, but Jesus...
We get it, it would be cool, are we done suggesting it?

+1 to Yankee

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 13:11 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Don't worry Yankee and Destoned it will be over soon, I'll give you a pat on the back and a smile when it's done, you'll pull through.

Anyway, I don't think people use the rail on Orcs because they probably still /tp, or /warp, am I correct in saying that?

Thing is you're not allowed to build rails to take you to say other houses, or for people to make their own small networks.

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 14:49 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Don't worry Yankee and Destoned it will be over soon, I'll give you a pat on the back and a smile when it's done, you'll pull through.

Anyway, I don't think people use the rail on Orcs because they probably still /tp, or /warp, am I correct in saying that?

Thing is you're not allowed to build rails to take you to say other houses, or for people to make their own small networks.
Of course not. People on this server spend their time breaking each others builds, killing each other for random crap, stealing anything that isn't mailed down and generally acting like total arses. While this is the prevalent attitude there is no way I will allow rails and roads to begin littering the map.

Build what you can afford to protect - period.

ca 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 03:22 
Geek (776)
you guys should make a pinned topic saying no trains.

gb 
 Post subject: Train
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 03:32 
The one and only (619)
We need to rename Server Suggestions to Howard will say "No" to whatever you put here xD that's why I love Howard ^.^

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 09:26 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
canadacanucks01 wrote:
you guys should make a pinned topic saying no trains.
AND WTF IS THIS?! GRILLED CHEESE?!

You people need to learn to READ THE FUCKING FORUMS instead of just barging here and vomiting your stupid everywhere.

And Zenergy - fuck off, there's a good boy.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 12:09 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
I've just gone and spent some time with Orcworm's server, superficially looking at his Minecarts. While there are a few cart tracks about the place, he actually uses a Cart Warping plugin to get you to most locations. This means that most journeys are less than 20 blocks long as you simply get teleported in your cart to your destination.

Doesn't seem that good to me - certainly a lot slower and more lag inducing that just having teleports?

pt 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 15:12 
Geek (697)
If it ends up using teleport then it's pretty much just a "fake ride", I still prefer the Portal system. If we ever get a new map then I'll support the idea of making the portal hubs instead of personal portals. Sincerly, I don't know why everyone is giving so much inportance to the minecarts. It's not that amusing to ride one..

au 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 15:23 
Likes to type... (231)
I like portals, they're quick and make you feel like you're on shrooms. With the building of railway systems, I spent hours and hours digging tunnels and building bridges for Ollie and the Xesrail system, to see it forever after that with "closed for maintenance" Railways seem cool, and everyone wanted to be a train driver at some stage. So if you wanna drive trains, buy a Train Simulator. Because railways in minecraft are Shittier than daytime TV.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 15:26 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
tassam380 wrote:
I like portals, they're quick and make you feel like you're on shrooms. With the building of railway systems, I spent hours and hours digging tunnels and building bridges for Ollie and the Xesrail system, to see it forever after that with "closed for maintenance" Railways seem cool, and everyone wanted to be a train driver at some stage. So if you wanna drive trains, buy a Train Simulator. Because railways in minecraft are Shittier than daytime TV.

This is the thing. If we could have actual trains, that wandered round their tracks, stopping at stations to let people on and off, then it would be great. But we don't. We have minecarts: horrbile, useless, buggy, slow assed, crash-prone, lag-inducing, Minecarts.

us 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 07:20 
Crap at posting (25)
Well you can't say it wasn't good in theory... Well maybe in the future when there are more advancements, but till then this threads dead.

be 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 18:12 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
This was theory we discussed, nothing has been done in practice at all. We just talked about it.

us 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 09:03 
Geek (631)
Hey look at train: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-t ... 060.29491/

Still would be laggy to the server I'm sure, but I felt the need to post this after seeing it.

[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I CANT MOVE
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I HAVE POLIO
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: HELP

[22:21] <@UNICORN_XD> *facedesk* sciece is so broing

be 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 17:48 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
[SpA]Mc_MrCat wrote:
Hey look at train: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-t ... 060.29491/

Still would be laggy to the server I'm sure, but I felt the need to post this after seeing it.
Can we have that? :D