Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:42

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 06:57 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
Wasn't this ment for server suggestions ect and not about the griefing rules (?) We have an other topic for that..

be 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 12:00 
Geek (885)
And how does throwing more manpower at it solve the underlying problem? Maybe we just have different opinions about what an OP should be and do. What do you think what their "job description" should be? What are the qualities you look for in an OP?

The "Mayor"-system, one person who handles all things having to do with a city certainly works. I can attest for that. Hell, I implemented it myself on another server. Each city had 3 people to run it. Do you want to know how that ended? 3/4 of the cities fell into disrepair and emptied out simple because the people responsible for it lost interest or quit Minecraft. Sure, you could put new people in charge... But what kind of solution is that? Doesn't that just cause more MINECRAFTDRAMA that the ops and admins need to resolve? That's not the say that the whole idea is bad. It IS a solid idea. It CAN work. But with people being people and Minecraft being Minecraft it is an rather rare occurence. Just take a look at other "independent" villages started by guests and such. How many of them thrive and how many of them turn into deserted ruins?

Remcodd here slams the nail on the head as far as I am concerned. Maybe things ARE too regulated. Can't do this. Can't do that. Should build atleast a bazillion blocks away from that and that and that. May only have one of this and only there. Should do that and that and that. There is no way that the people you WANT, the people who just join on a whim are going to get all that. Hell, I would be very surprised if the majority of older players/staff know the rules inside and out with no room for ambiguity. Yes, some clear rules and regulations are necessary or else the place falls descends into a cesspool of DRAMA. That's why, I loathe to repeat myself, my suggestion is: Don't add anything new but instead simplify the things you have as much as possible and make sure that everyone, whether he spend 5 minutes or 5 months, on the server knows exactly what and where he/she can do stuff. And don't rely on the forum for doing that. People won't visit that unless absolutely necessary (aka ban appeals).

Going, as Pat said, slightly off-topic. Doesn't the bloody dictionary give a good summation of what a griefer is?

Main Entry: grief
Pronunciation: grf
Function: noun
1 a : deep sorrow : SADNESS b : a cause of sorrow
2 a : things that cause problems <enough grief for one day> b : an unfortunate happening <the boat came to grief on the rocks>
synonym see SORROW

Thus you could say a griefer is someone who causes "sadness and sorrow" to another player just for shit and giggle. What are the primary causes of that in-game? Destruction of property, chat-spam, racism, spawn-killing. All excellent examples on what you could count as grief. Of course you shouldn't go overboard and start swinging the hammer every time someone has a boo-boo over some minor stuff, you wouldn't be left with any players, but just limiting it to a strict definition such as "destruction of property" when it means so much is something I always found rather silly.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 12:30 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Sorry Filler, but this is just ignorant. Remcodd's opinion is so far removed from sanity its barely believable. His tedious, childish, uninformed rant yesterday in game was just embarrassing. He is convinced that we don't need plugins, rules or regulations, that the server will just manage itself. He also believes that the most popular and successful servers out there operate like this.

This could not be further from the truth.

Of the top 100 SMP servers, most if not all of them run a MASSIVE amount of plugins and have rules and ops that are FAR more aggressive than ours. In most places you go, if you are found to have griefed (and grief is defined by them as destroying ONE BLOCK that someone else laid) then you are banned: period. The top 10 most successful servers (100-200 slots - 60%+ capacity at all times) have in the region of 50-80 plugins and an army of staff who monitor pretty much everything you do. Most of the map is heavily regulated and the sections that are open to "do what you like" are just battle-zones, their surfaces stripped down to less then 30 blocks from bedrock.

Now I will accept that the current server is not working - that is the whole reason for this post - but if you, like Remcodd, believe that its failure is down to me and the rules I have put in place you are totally fucking delusional. The reason this server gets far fewer guests is because our FB server is dead. 99% of the traffic the old map got was people paying it a visit after hearing about it in FB. Oh an on that subject, let's not kid ourselves: while people like Remcodd are convinced of a the existence of a Golden Age where everything was rule and plugin free back when Limp ran it, they are wildly misinformed. For starters Limp/Haf/whoever had WAY MORE plugins installed than we do now (over 50 at times) and secondly the map was a total fucking farce. Littered with half destroyed roads, smothered in abandoned and in fact never used railways and stuffed to bursting with strip-mined land and griefed builds: it was a total fucking farce. Add the total lack op help that was provided to new guys, the utterly garbage starter town that was just confusing and served no purpose (as well as being STUNNINGLY ugly) and the whole affair was a wash. Sure we got guests and sure it was always full, but very little actual good came from it. Maintaining a build was a constant struggle, griefers just ran riot and generally it was total chaos.

Residence offered a chance to take the hassle out of MC. You could build, easily earn money by doing what you would do anyway, pay for your protection and rest easy knowing that there was no way your build could be griefed. It completely removes the strain from OPs as we no longer had to micro-manage every single whiny complaint from players who had logged in to fin that one whole flower had been removed. It should have been great.

But people had to fuck about. They had to try and abuse or ignore the simple systems offered to them. In stead of whining that their build was griefed, they whined that they could not protect enough stuff, that their build sizes where limited. Of course your bloody build sizes need to be limited. Have you guys ever actually been to a server that has NO build restrictions? It looks like the bloody Somme. Vast, sky covering crap built everywhere, everyone's builds half smashed and burned - its just insanity.

And now you say (well Remcodd and filler says - no one else agrees with you btw) that you want the restrictions removing the "useless and unused plugins" removing (no plugins are useless and unused, but don;t let actual facts get in the way of your ignorance) and everyone should be allowed to build what they want where they want. Your just insane. Explain to me please how that would work? How can you POSSIBLY have a sustainable server where ever idiot can do as they please? You would drive the ops ballistic within a day of that being implemented because when you say that everyone should be able to do as they want, what you really mean is that YOU should be able to do what you want and everyone else has to let you. It does not work that way. It will NEVER work that way. But seriously - you explain how it would be managed. Logblock? You think I am going to set up a server with no rules than have my OPs totally waste their time, running around after you guys, fixing every block that is knocked out of place or stolen? What drugs are you on exactly?

EDIT - Oh, and just to be clear, the current system of rules, Residence, Babel and markets was suggested (in parts) by the community, NOT by me. I just came up with the specifics as to how to implement it, so blaming me for it not working or it not being "right" is just trying to pass the buck.

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 16:36 
Hmm, maybe not Illiterate (18)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Sorry Filler, but this is just ignorant. Remcodd's opinion is so far removed from sanity its barely believable. His tedious, childish, uninformed rant yesterday in game was just embarrassing. He is convinced that we don't need plugins, rules or regulations, that the server will just manage itself. He also believes that the most popular and successful servers out there operate like this.
I have never said the we don't need plugins and rules, ofcourse we need rules and plugins. Like logblock, and other admin tools and stuff and chestprotection. And i didnt said i wanted no rules, just less then we have now. I also didnt said the most popular servers operate like this but i said that there are server operating like this with more people online.

Edit:
If there is stuff griefed, why cant admins just see who did it, rollback the stuff they did and done?
I know there are good plugins for that. And it wont take that much time to use a few commands.
You cant steal if you have chestprotection so the ops only need to go to someone and rollback stuff, that doesnt look like a lot of work to me. And why do you need so many ops and moderators if you dont want them to rollback stuff and help with griefers.

Btw, i dont mean to say with this that all of the mods/admins/ops should be demoted, they're doing a good job and thats not why i made this post

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 16:49 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
remcodd wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
I have never said the we don't need plugins and rules, ofcourse we need rules and plugins. Like logblock, and other admin tools and stuff and chestprotection. And i didnt said i wanted no rules, just less then we have now. I also didnt said the most popular servers operate like this but i said that there are server operating like this with more people online.

Edit:
If there is stuff griefed, why cant admins just see who did it, rollback the stuff they did and done?

And now you both change your tune AND reveal your full ignorance of the situation.

We cannot simply let things happen and then casually say that we will restore it. What the hell kind of person thinks that way around? "It's okay he robbed me, destroyed my house and killed my pets officer, the insurance will buy new ones." The lack of logic in that mindset is staggering.

Beyond that, and flatly more importantly, is the time spent doing this. Each and every day we would be greeted with DOZENS of requests to investigate, roll-back, reimburse and so on - and that with the relatively low population we have now. In a busy, active server, the "let them fuck it up then we'll just roll it back and pretend nothing happened" attitude is just ludicrous to the point where I think you must be trolling me. It simply cannot and will not work this way. At best I could perceive it as naivety - that maybe you think good of people and don't believe that the problems would get that bad. Let me assure you, it would be blind chaos in there within the week.

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:10 
[SpA]Howard wrote:
remcodd wrote:

Edit:

And now you both change your tune AND reveal your full ignorance of the situation.

We cannot simply let things happen and then casually say that we will restore it. What the hell kind of person thinks that way around? "It's okay he robbed me, destroyed my house and killed my pets officer, the insurance will buy new ones." The lack of logic in that mindset is staggering.

Beyond that, and flatly more importantly, is the time spent doing this. Each and every day we would be greeted with DOZENS of requests to investigate, roll-back, reimburse and so on - and that with the relatively low population we have now. In a busy, active server, the "let them fuck it up then we'll just roll it back and pretend nothing happened" attitude is just ludicrous to the point where I think you must be trolling me. It simply cannot and will not work this way. At best I could perceive it as naivety - that maybe you think good of people and don't believe that the problems would get that bad. Let me assure you, it would be blind chaos in there within the week.
Why should they need to request for a rollback?
They can just ask an op to rollback something and its done, there are always genough mods/ops/admins online to do it.
And im sure there wont be so much grief that someone needs to rollback every 5 minutes.

I also have an other idea, that you might like a little bit more.
Have an (big) guest area around spawn, that can be resetted like every 2 weeks so it stills actract new people and if they want to build outside the guest are they need to fill in an application on the forums. Most of people that like a server will just fill in an application to get outside the guest area. Still, the guest area should be watched by mods/ops/admins and it should be operated like the rest of the map or if you want to leave it and only have a nice spawn and griefed build around it that you just reset every week or something or when there is too much grief.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:12 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
remcodd wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

They can just ask an op to rollback something and its done, there are always genough mods/ops/admins online to do it.
And im sure there wont be so much grief that someone needs to rollback every 5 minutes.

Have an (big) guest area around spawn, that can be resetted like every 2 weeks so it stills actract new people and if they want to build outside the guest are they need to fill in an application on the forums. Most of people that like a server will just fill in an application to get outside the guest area. Still, the guest area should be watched by mods/ops/admins and it should be operated like the rest of the map or if you want to leave it and only have a nice spawn and griefed build around it that you just reset every week or something or when there is too much grief.

So you wont let us have a few rules and a few extra mods but you'd happily ask for every guest that visits here to fill out an application? :lol: :18

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:20 
[SpA]Howard wrote:
remcodd wrote:

So you wont let us have a few rules and a few extra mods but you'd happily ask for every guest that visits here to fill out an application? :lol: :18
When a new person sees tons of rules he really doesnt feel like its a nice server where you can just build. It looks nicer with less rules and if they want to get in the area where the members and higer ranks build, they can fill in an application

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:28 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
remcodd wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

When a new person sees tons of rules he really doesnt feel like its a nice server where you can just build. It looks nicer with less rules and if they want to get in the area where the members and higer ranks build, they can fill in an application

9 rules? 9 rules is "tons of rules"? I think your head came unscrewed buddy :D

cl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:30 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
God no. I like rules, rules are good; I wouldn't join a server with no rules. OTOH, I think filling in an application is a horrible idea. I would've left immediately if this server made me fill in one; just saying.

pt 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 17:31 
Geek (697)
@Rem, it would be easier for us to see your point if you list those so called "extra" rules that we could/should get rid off to make thing simpler. Although I don't think it's really that that's making people leave.

From what I've seen from newcomers, they normally want to build close to one of the main cities, why? Well, they're new, they're lost, maybe they don't want to be completly isolated likes hermits, to be closer to a portal or a market and so on. Thus the reason I asked about not having premade main cities, let people group up to a minimum number and build their own town based on the local theme (if we ever divide the map by regions/themes).

For this to work, all you need is be "more friendly" with newcomers, for example, last time I was on some guy came to the 1st time to our server, 2 OPs told him about the rules and then I believe it was a member called Pizza asked him to live in his town. It's as easy as this, it isn't anything we don't do already. Except when there aren't "friendly" players online guests/traders simply get lost around and end up building where they shouldn't and eventually hear a rant about it, get depressed (yes we know how easily youngsters get depressed) and leave the server.

us 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 18:05 
Doesn't get out much (327)
I was here when lim/haf duo were running the perfect server. I believe peak traffic was at most 34 people, and that a one time occurrence that I remember. The server could not handle it, lag brought everything to a complete standstill.

Typical traffic is not constant, there were many hours of nobody online at all, more hours of 1-4 people, a busy time, peak hours saw an average of maybe 18-28 people. Minecraft rolls with peoples schedules. School begins and server populations drop.

This all went away with the mutant migration, a phenomena which reminded me of lemmings.

As Howard stated, the builds within a days walk from spawn city were a combination of mudhuts, temp builds for surviving a night, a nearby abandoned city half griefed, and the huge ditches running northeast, southwest for a double set of useless minecart tracks (not trains), buried double tracks unused running southwest and northeast. It was ugly and useless.

The map was large and expanded because nobody wanted to build near spawn because they all knew those places near spawn were constantly greifed and all the n00bs would be building their mudhuts right next door.

I can't remember how many people would arrive, find their work all bombed out for the 5ths time, rage quit and are never seen again.

New guys were ignored, the good ol boys had the ability to spawn and did so for all the other good ol boys. The cliques had chests full of diamonds.

The good ol days were not really all that good.

On this current map, n00bs all try it disassemble Iron City, want to dig holes all around Iron City, tunnel under Iron City, leave floating treetops all around Iron City, build shit tree houses all around Iron City, mudhuts, floating turds of all sizes. Is this what you want to see when you first arrive on the server?

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 18:09 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
I think we mostly had dutch people because on the advertise sites there's a dutch flag infront of it...
likely we have 2 people around every 20 mins or so, well for what I've seen..
Just because the school begun, It was 30 people a day, school started and it dropped down a lot..

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 19:28 
JMPanty wrote:
@Rem, it would be easier for us to see your point if you list those so called "extra" rules that we could/should get rid off to make thing simpler. Although I don't think it's really that that's making people leave.

From what I've seen from newcomers, they normally want to build close to one of the main cities, why? Well, they're new, they're lost, maybe they don't want to be completly isolated likes hermits, to be closer to a portal or a market and so on. Thus the reason I asked about not having premade main cities, let people group up to a minimum number and build their own town based on the local theme (if we ever divide the map by regions/themes).

Why not having cities where people can build their own house, like the old sparadise. New people like to live close to others and maybe set up a shop like i did when i was new on this server in sparadise city. There was a map, half world with monsters and hearts and the other half without monsters, there came small towns made by members and other guests and they wanted new people in it ofcourse so they invited every newcomer. The newcomer feels welcome then and can start with building a house and other things in safe towns with (mostly) friendly people.

I thought Leonarks castle had houses for sale aswell, but i think its better when people build their own houses and just need to use the style of the other houses or just totally make their own house

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 20:06 
Pretty useless (68)
Ok, I've read most of the first page suggestions, but I saw a couple of thing just being repeated so I really can't be arsed to read the rest.
Since I am a player who is finding SMP a little difficult to get back into, here are my suggestions.

~ Portals ~
These should be one per section of a grid on the map.

No personal portals AT ALL.

This will promote people to build near the portals, and therefore build a town.

Don't want to live somewhere so crowded/ugly? Find another portal with less people or a 'better' sense of architecture.

Suddenly - a community!

This leads onto my next point:

~ Teleporting ~
Remove COMPLETELY
This may sound harsh, but in the real world, can you REALLY teleport?
In Singleplayer, can you teleport?

This is a survival based SMP server - make it harder to survive!

Therefore more survival based people can enjoy the server, searching for caves and things, and risking their butts to get their loot home.

Suddenly, everything is rarer! Huzzah, a better economy system!

~ Residence ~
Not sure about this but... I guess all I can say is higher ranks = more space to build?
Guests 50^3, Members 75^3, etc.

And maybe have some sort of hotel system. IDK I just really like the idea of hotels.

EDIT: ALSO!
~ Groups! ~
Almost like gangs, that players can sign up for.

This promotes interaction between players,
and also fights between groups!

Then there could be ranks
(Not shown in-game obviously, possible listed on forums)
And you would have to take jobs to earn 'rank points' (or something)
And you get prizes or benefits the higher your rank!!

I would LOVE this :3

That's all I have for now, but I'll post more as I think about it.
IF YOU HAVE A QUERY, PLEASE PM ME! I would prefer we did not post here and spam up the topic. When the query is resolved, I'll make another post to update on here. Less spam for Howard.

us 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 21:22 
TerriBerriify does this mean you will be staying up very very late with us in the near future? We can only hope. Also, see this new topic.

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 21:25 
Pretty useless (68)
Depends on how late is Very Very late. but hopefully yes I can get used to that.
And ah ok. didn't see that. I will get to reading that.

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2011, 21:36 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
seens a lot people agree with the new server things :P which is good ^^

us 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 19:54 
Top 10 things people mincrafters REALLY want. (humor)
  • 1) Their own individual worlds, equipped with all of their very own favorite plugins.
    2) Ops.
    3) God mode.
    4) Flying.
    5) Teleporting anywhere anytime.
    6) Unlimited materials and diamonds covering the surface of the land.
    7) Either no mobs, mobs they can have as pets or mobs which simply volunteer to die.
    8) No admins because we are "the worst admins ever", or admins which will wait on them 24/7 in case they want to know how to create a wooden shovel or have something spawned for them.
    9) All their best friends to be on all the time they are and they all must bow to them and worship them as if they are The Grand Pooba.
    10) All their "best friends" to be instantly gone because they've thrown a hissy fit.

us 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 20:01 
Doesn't get out much (382)
I havent said yet, but I am looking forward to this change :) I think it is gonna be very interesting in many ways LOL

I see it as a social experiment, much like the show *Survivor*, lol ppl say they want one thing, but scream when they have it... because it isnt really what they want!

I am a softee... I say unlimited /home and /spawn. lol And Hubs at say, the middle of each region, or several places spread out in each section of the map, say at least three portals in the two smaller sections with one at each themed section.

“If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

pt 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 20:55 
Geek (697)
OneYankeeRebel wrote:
Top 10 things people mincrafters REALLY want. (humor)
  • 1) Their own individual worlds, equipped with all of their very own favorite plugins.
    2) Ops.
    3) God mode.
    4) Flying.
    5) Teleporting anywhere anytime.
    6) Unlimited materials and diamonds covering the surface of the land.
    7) Either no mobs, mobs they can have as pets or mobs which simply volunteer to die.
    8) No admins because we are "the worst admins ever", or admins which will wait on them 24/7 in case they want to know how to create a wooden shovel or have something spawned for them.
    9) All their best friends to be on all the time they are and they all must bow to them and worship them as if they are The Grand Pooba.
    10) All their "best friends" to be instantly gone because they've thrown a hissy fit.
Can we have this ^^^

lol

us 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 22:02 
JMPanty wrote:
Can we have this ^^^ lol
You already have this option, it's called "your server installed on your computer". :P

be 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 22:16 
Has no REAL life! (1086)
OneYankeeRebel wrote:
JMPanty wrote:
Can we have this ^^^ lol
You already have this option, it's called "your server installed on your computer". :P
But it iz suuu hard to du. Yu haf to download filez an stuff.

pt 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 02:12 
Geek (697)
Nuuuu it isn't the same thing :C

us 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2011, 17:08 
Has learned to write! (176)
This isn't helpful, nor quite on topic, but the most fun I have had in Minecraft was back in the day of the map with Sparadise. Maybe it was because I was just new to Minecraft in general or maybe because of a certain mechanic of the server at the time.

us 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 03:39 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
This makes me sad...

Attachment:
File comment: Last 2 lines
Last 2 lines
WTF.png [ 30.81 KiB | Viewed 3254 times ]

pt 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 05:58 
Geek (697)
That's why we're going to have those changes in the server and hopefully it'll bring more people.

I've been looking on a few videos about a server called Lord of the Craft, they seem well organized, based on roleplay with lots of lore behind it. Sure I've seen a lil bit of grief here and there but it seemed to attract lots of players (the server supports somewhere between 100-150 players). The thing is, you want to build somewhere, you pay for it. You want to mine below a certain point, you buy the rights for that specific mine. If you pay a stupidly high pricewith ingame money or donate 200 dolares (yes 200...) you have the rights to start your own kingdoom with your own style and race. I didn't like how there's so many locked features unless you "donate" for them..like LWC for example..

But one thing is sure, they're always packed from what I've seen.

cl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 06:18 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
Meh, I don't even like LWC TBH, but paying for it seems tasty... It would make pillaging worth it.

pt 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 17:37 
Geek (697)
You don't like LWC? lol you must be a Chaos fan (from warhammer)..

cl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 19:08 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
Nope, I like the good old "protect your chests with traps and hide them very, very well" system.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next