Free to use any time? 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
Available all the time but it costs money to use? 43%  43%  [ 23 ]
Removed completely? 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 54
gb 
 Post subject: How should /home work?
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 13:07 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pretty self explanatory poll. Give us your votes.

au 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 14:52 
Likes to type... (231)
I voted for all the time but uses money. But make it a reasonable amount like say somewhere between 20-50.

be 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 14:59 
Has no REAL life! (1254)
I don't get the reasoning behind getting to use it all the time at no cost. That just seems incredibly exploitable to me.
Especially with this new idea of having an area where everything is allowed. If you get in a spot of trouble, or are caught stealing or whatever, you can just get away without consequence by just /home'ing. It just makes for such an amazing 'oh-shit-get-me-out button' that it hardly seems fair or challenging to make it cost/cooldown free.
Making it cost money might work, but that depends on how much it will cost and how easy it will be to get money. If it's as easy to make money on the remade server and if it'll cost between 20-50 to use, it won't be much different from being able to constantly use it.

I think /home should stay in, but with a cooldown, although slightly less long than it is now. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

cl 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 16:40 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
You mentioned Babel would be changed to a master stargate hub; and I'm still not sure if there will be personal portals or not...

If there are: No /home at all. (I'm gonna vote for a free /spawn on the other topic, though.)

On the other hand, if there will be no personal portals: Free cash-wise, but a timer for both.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 16:42 
Doesn't get out much (376)
If you could make it cost to reduce the timer to 0, that would be ideal.

pt 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 16:58 
Geek (697)
Frimple wrote:
^This^

Edit: Pete, there won't be any personal portals.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 17:00 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Frimple wrote:
Yeah - can't.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 17:54 
Doesn't get out much (376)
that's OK, I'll just weep instead.

us 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 22:19 
Nerdish, tbh. (448)
Would it be possible to have it on a timer, and if you want to use it more often, you have to pay for it?

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 22:35 
Has learned to write! (209)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Frimple wrote:
Yeah - can't.

[01:44]aaanythiNG:I just donatedto SpA
[01:44]aaanythiNG:Because I love Jam
[01:45]Tigerdragon180:i love you in a non gay way jam
[01:45]GreatBuilder3:i love you in a gay way jam
Jawz13:P.S I Love Jam

us 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 22:52 
Geek (631)
One thing that I would like to see, if possible, would be instead of a /home that brings each person to their own home, having something that brings them to the closest portal hub instead. People don't travel enough by feet in the game, it is indeed incredibly boring, but all these other means of travel seems to take out a lot of how the game is meant to be, and takes out a lot of survival in the game. Not having a /home would make everyone build a lot closer to portal hubs, and maybe make more smaller communities in game. There would be more team made roads in the game and paths, and if done right could make things look very nice. I think /home would probably have to be decided finally later on, when all zones and sections are made, and portal hubs are established. There can't really be a definite decision now due to the fact that we don't really know how the game will work and run in the future. Until everything is fully functional I would say keep /home on but keep the timer, and add a cost. Maybe 20 minute and 50 dollars, well, people have too much money these days, make it 20 minutes and 200 dollars. It would make the newer players rely more on portal hubs and real travel, the way the game should really work in my mind. The more established we get the zones, and the portal hubs for travel, the more the price goes up maybe. Just an overall goal being more "real" gameplay, and none of this easy do whatever you want crap. :5:

Edit* Money and time isn't an option :( :P

[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I CANT MOVE
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: I HAVE POLIO
[02:01] <+PTB3> Bostardi*: HELP

[22:21] <@UNICORN_XD> *facedesk* sciece is so broing

ca 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 11:43 
Doesn't get out much (377)
[SpA]Mc_MrCat wrote:
One thing that I would like to see, if possible, would be instead of a /home that brings each person to their own home, having something that brings them to the closest portal hub instead. People don't travel enough by feet in the game, it is indeed incredibly boring, but all these other means of travel seems to take out a lot of how the game is meant to be, and takes out a lot of survival in the game.
So basically instead of having home, Just /spawn so that everyone can get to the hubs which leads to the closest portal to their place.
Yeah?

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 11:49 
Likes to type... (229)
[SpA]Mc_MrCat wrote:
One thing that I would like to see, if possible, would be instead of a /home that brings each person to their own home, having something that brings them to the closest portal hub instead. People don't travel enough by feet in the game, it is indeed incredibly boring, but all these other means of travel seems to take out a lot of how the game is meant to be, and takes out a lot of survival in the game.
But then you hit the snag that they may not be able to find their home.. and that would make even me sad :< which is why i think it should cost ALOT of money, so they make have to go out hunting for a few nights before they can afford it.

ca 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 11:52 
Doesn't get out much (377)
Thaw111 wrote:
[SpA]Mc_MrCat wrote:
But then you hit the snag that they may not be able to find their home.. and that would make even me sad :< which is why i think it should cost ALOT of money, so they make have to go out hunting for a few nights before they can afford it.
Thats true... Make /spawn cheap, but then make /home really expensive. As like a Last resort, in case you forget How to get back to your home. I really like that idea.

us 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 03:00 
Has learned to write! (176)
I voted for infinite use, though I would like to change that to on a timer. I understand when your lost in the middle of no where, being creeped on by enderman, creepers, and sweaty Howards, in middle of a dark rainy night and all you want to do is go home. On the other hand, I do remember it being abused alot when you could use it infinitely. People use it to escape hit girls, get away with griefing/stealing, deposit items quickly, and lots of other shit. I don't believe you should be able to buy the time away as it could still be abused by the rich.

[EDIT: Managed to change the vote.]

gb 
PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 13:49 
Crap at posting (59)
Voted for useable all the time but costing cash, because otherwise it will be used as a cheap escape move in pvp all the time.

This way you actually have to pay to use it, but for that price you can cut travel times or use it to escape monsters if you need to.

It also helps disappearing some of the cash to stop inflation. We really need more ways for that by the way.

If you consider the huge amounts of blocks mined each day, and how much each of them is worth, the influx of capital is simply humunguous. Sure, the amount of actual "paper" currency we gain in comparison is not so much, as most of it is generated by killing monsters. But since this is in essence a limitless way to "print" extra money, which only ever disappears if players quit the server, we are looking at money that will only accumulate and never disappear.

How about sitting down together at some point and finding some automated services we could put in that will require us to "spend" the money to the server, where it essentially disappears?

Something like instant finishing of smelting for a charge when you right click an oven using (insert useless junk item here) for a fixed amount per block, consuming a total of 8 coals everytime you do it, or making nether portals operate by sacrificing dosh to the dosh god every time you use it to enter. Maybe use a small charge to appease the God of Manna for enchanting an item, stuff like that.

Because prices really do seem ridiculous right now and I think this is mainly because there is so much dosh to be had and so little use for it except for trading.

de 
PostPosted: 03 May 2012, 14:00 
Nerdish, tbh. (503)
AndragonLea wrote:
Voted for useable all the time but costing cash, because otherwise it will be used as a cheap escape move in pvp all the time.

This way you actually have to pay to use it, but for that price you can cut travel times or use it to escape monsters if you need to.

It also helps disappearing some of the cash to stop inflation. We really need more ways for that by the way.

If you consider the huge amounts of blocks mined each day, and how much each of them is worth, the influx of capital is simply humunguous. Sure, the amount of actual "paper" currency we gain in comparison is not so much, as most of it is generated by killing monsters. But since this is in essence a limitless way to "print" extra money, which only ever disappears if players quit the server, we are looking at money that will only accumulate and never disappear.

How about sitting down together at some point and finding some automated services we could put in that will require us to "spend" the money to the server, where it essentially disappears?

Something like instant finishing of smelting for a charge when you right click an oven using (insert useless junk item here) for a fixed amount per block, consuming a total of 8 coals everytime you do it, or making nether portals operate by sacrificing dosh to the dosh god every time you use it to enter. Maybe use a small charge to appease the God of Manna for enchanting an item, stuff like that.

Because prices really do seem ridiculous right now and I think this is mainly because there is so much dosh to be had and so little use for it except for trading.
Nice necro man, don't surface old posts :P

+[[color=#0040BF]FrankyDoodle[/color]]) ah french most fucky and irritating language ever
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]opo89[/color]) french is good
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]DarkknightM45[/color]) all the french are good at is surrendering

[color=#0000FF]Freebuild[/color] [color=#FF0000]Operator[/color]
[color=#0000FF]SMP[/color] [color=#008000]Member[/color]

gb 
PostPosted: 04 May 2012, 17:01 
Crap at posting (59)
Everybody can post a shit post, but it takes a true Necromancer to revive a thread in an unholy matrimony of shit, aged by time into the putrid perfection that is my creation.

And, if I may add: Its aliiiiveeeeee!