[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
Dynmap chat: a poll - SpecialAttack.net
Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:48

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

Should we disable dynmap chat like before?
Poll ended at 24 Jan 2012, 03:29
Yes disable it 69%  69%  [ 11 ]
No keep it, I will explain why.. 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Total votes: 16
gb 
 Post subject: Dynmap chat: a poll
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 03:29 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
In the past the dynmap chat was abused by players who were prevented from talking ingame or IRC, and so it was disabled.

Currently people are using it for small talk, and for just being plain silly, most irritating when you don't even know who they are. We have IRC for talking to ingame players, and it's very simple for people to be auth'd and voiced. So to prevent possible abuse, and small annoyances, I propose disabling dynmap chat, as far as I know it holds no benefits over using IRC.

Alright Dynmap chat is set up now so player names show, solving all issues while keeping it there for perhaps a quick message to ingame players without using IRC, so all's well :18

Last edited by [SpA]JuncoPartner on 26 Jan 2012, 04:13, edited 2 times in total.

us 
 Post subject: Re: Dynmap chat: a poll
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 13:28 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Agreed.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012, 14:03 
Doesn't get out much (376)
It neither bothers me nor dazzles me with its utility so I'll leave my vote as neutral.

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 00:32 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
well if we could use names instead of the ip then yeah that would be perfect but i think disable it really people abuse it and lie about names

au 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 01:54 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
If someone is being an ass, Ipban them... then they cant get on MC or chat on dynmap

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 05:02 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
We've got 3 no votes, but they wont bear much weight unless they're explained..

ells551 wrote:
well if we could use names instead of the ip then yeah that would be perfect but i think disable it really people abuse it and lie about names
mm this is a good point, I have seen people lie about names, or times where they were stirring trouble telling us who they were but they could have been anyone thinking back, because you'd take their word for it. The reason we have to auth on irc now is because of impersonations I was one of the people who were impersonated, would have been embarassing if it was not someone ingame talking to me on steam at the time.

Like I said though, there's no reason to use dynmap chat unless your causing trouble, or too lazy to auth on irc.

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 19:59 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Well I asked out resident plugin writers if showing the names were possible. There is already a plugin that generates a text file containing every login and every related IP so I thought it might be a doable thing but I heard nothing back.

If that can be written would that be enough to keep it?

If not - well I'd like a few more total votes before I take it out, but I ma happy to if that is what people want.

us 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 02:10 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
I use the Dynmap to contact people on the server when I can't get on because of lag... Other than that, I don't see why it is there... Would there be any chance of verification like on IRC?

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 03:18 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
awesomefriends56 wrote:
I use the Dynmap to contact people on the server when I can't get on because of lag... Other than that, I don't see why it is there... Would there be any chance of verification like on IRC?
If you can't get on because of lag wouldn't you just use IRC like you said?

au 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 06:30 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
Howard. I will download dynmap now. but perhaps there is a way that you need a forum account and be logged in to chat? With some editing of stuff mind you

au 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 08:08 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
STOP THIS POLL NONSENCE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have found a solution :4

We just need to... wait for it... Update the plugin...

it checks usernames to Ip's and then puts there name instead of the Ip!!!
this means that if the player has logged in to the server at anytime their name will be displayed in the dynmap chat :D

You may now shower me with diamonds and monies... :mrgreen:

Last edited by [SpA]mbl111 on 25 Jan 2012, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

au 
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 10:17 
Has no REAL life! (1481)
I said no. Primarily because my uses of dynmap chat are to guide people like Blueflame on their perilous journeys to the nether where a valiant crusade (and salvage operation) are to be conducted. Constantly ALT+TAB'ing slows progress, not to mention the fact that if I tell him to walk left he may have changed direction last time I saw him on dynmap.

Basically it's a useful resource because you can keep track of everything and you don't have to go all the way back, or log in for that matter, to maintain some level of awareness as to where everyone is and become part of proceedings in the instance where you cannot enter the game.

How else do you follow someone's adventure and comment on the fact that someone's going to run up and ambush them from the left-hand outcrop? Certainly not from IRC. Sure, you could use IRC instead of dynmap chat, but it's two different windows and it's annoying because it's not all central.

It's like keeping SMP separate to SMP chat. Oh you want to say hi to that person directly in front of you? Just alt+tab and do it. Well, it's sort of a different thing, but it gets my meaning across quite nicely.

us 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 03:38 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
awesomefriends56 wrote:
If you can't get on because of lag wouldn't you just use IRC like you said?
You know, you have a point there...

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 04:12 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Alright Dynmap chat is set up now so player names show, solving all issues while keeping it there for perhaps a quick message to ingame players without using IRC, so all's well :18

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2012, 10:44 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
maybe a lock of this topic would be good :P and chears mbl good job prob be using that instead of irc as irc anoys me thanks to me not knowing how to stay voiced (would be good if you could only log into irc from an account and that account needs to get voiced, unless somone has your password for the forum account then people couldnt use fake names or whatever, not that they were) :4 :16

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]