Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:48

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 20:25 
Community slut (13473)
Try and find a positive review https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/reviews/

I wonder if this will do anything about VALVe's most recent (and retarded) move.

First they kill communities by implementing their own servers and chosing them over community hosted servers, now they kill the creative community by allowing mod's to charge for their creations.

I for one support the massive downvote campaign!

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 22:40 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I don't think it's terrible that people are selling mods, but Valve's approach is just awful. The modders only get 25%. The moderation is going to suck, in other words people can download somone's mod from a site then sell it on steam. Where are they going to stand on people selling mods based on other mods?

It's a shame that Skyrim's review score is the target of the aggression, when really it should be on Valve, but there are no real channels for consumers to show outrage if you don't count spamming Volvo's facebook page.

fi 
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2015, 22:46 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Well, there ARE some good mods which I'd GLADLY pay for, such as this gem right here:

Anyway, many people will try to monetise copyrighted content. That won't work.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 01:29 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
Either I don't get how the workshop works or this is completely unenforcable. Mods have always been distributed in .rars that you get from some website and stick somewhere in your game folder. Like, that's the definition of a mod. What did the workshop do to change that? Do mods have DRM nowadays? If their legitimacy is being enforced by some sort of online-connection dependent checking process then isn't it just official DLC at that point? If mods have DRM at what point do they become the intellectual property of the modder and not that of the people who's game they're modding? Is pirating mods a thing, as crazy as that sounds? Can it even possibly be a thing by definition? At that point isn't paying for a mod effectively the same as choosing to donate the creator, which we could have done anyway?

Giving us a way to support content creators is fundamentally a really cool idea, as TF2 proved by giving us ways to give back to mappers and hat makers. But the way this is implemented and the focus on you having to do this rather than making it optional is turning it into a bit of a shitshow, not to mention dangerous for the future of one of the single best things about PC gaming.
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
It's a shame that Skyrim's review score is the target of the aggression, when really it should be on Valve, but there are no real channels for consumers to show outrage if you don't count spamming Volvo's facebook page.
Our only option is to boycott L4D2 again :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 03:05 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Seems to me that it's no different to before, except now you purchase instead of subscribing, so no DRM at all. The workshop will just download the mods into the right file paths when you start up the game. Wouldn't take a genius to repackage and torrent them

fi 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 03:44 
Has no REAL life! (1690)

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 12:40 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Seems there have been a few thousand more reviews since this fiasco. Last night Skyrim had 104,(something) steam reviews, and now it's currently at 106,854. It's lost it's 'Overwhelmingly Positive' tag and is now tagged as just 'Very Positive'.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 16:21 
Community slut (13473)
Petition to reverse, although I have little hope they will

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-t ... m-workshop

us 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 20:11 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
To be completely honest, when I heard of this new "feature" I was kind of okay. People are just taking advantage of it even after a few days. I wish Valve had done a review process for the mods, to verify that they actually had content and wouldn't just be a quick cash grab or contain viruses. It seems as if they're just letting people upload whatever they want and set the price. This on top of the policy that people need to have over $10 USD worth in games in their account to do anything other than play TF2 basically, it looks like they're trying to get as much money as possible.

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 20:42 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Valve are deffinetly becoming a money farm, but the removing features from free accounts was to tackle the bot and scammer spam. A lot of people were getting constant adds from people trying phish logins or scam their items from them. Hasn't been too bad for me, but there was that one week I had like 10 throwaway accounts adding me. If anything it took them waaay too long to address that, especially with how many people I seen complaining about it.

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2015, 21:08 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Its a good idea just done really fucking badly, it feels either a) really fucking rushed or b) they just don't give a fuck and they want 'dem nickels and dimes.

Given that a month ago Bethesda updated the workshop to allow for mods bigger than 100mb, I'm leaning towards B.

In my view It shoulda been set up as a donation system - modder sets up a page on the workshop showing the stuff they've made and you can donate to them if you want. People are pretty generous when it comes to paying for optional extras as we've seen with f2p models that do shit right.

Maybe you get some shit for donating, like Sven Coop did way back when. Sven Coop was a free half life mod that was pretty darn fun, you could play the half life campaign online with other people, or a bunch of maps that people had made for the game. If you donated you get some ingame stuff, I think it was golden uzis and an electrified crowbar if I remember rightly.

But then again, this idea would require Valve or whoever to actually put some fucking effort in to creating the system. So yeah it'll probably never happen.

nl 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 01:22 
Community slut (13473)
This article perfectly describes my thoughts on this http://totalgamingnetwork.com/content.p ... -No-Thanks

nl 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 01:28 
Community slut (13473)
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... and_steam/

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 01:47 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Never expected this to escalate quite as much as it has, people are furious and it's really damaged their trust in Valve. Gabe is a cool guy, and it's good he's talking, but I don't see any good outcomes for this purchasable mods debacle.

From what Gabe is saying is that they're using data from the overall larger consumer base as feedback, rather than the more involved people who take an interest in the state or gaming and game culture. The first ones to react to things like this. Really it should be a balance, because the masses aren't going to be very invested, and they do stuff like upvote dreadful items on the workshop, or spam ASCII images :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 03:03 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
Gabe takes literally 3 seconds to quickly answer a random question and everyone's like STOP DODGING THE QUESTION YOU DASTARDLY PR FUCKFACE (reddit pls :56) even though there's only so much he can say without consulting the rest of Valve, lawyers, Bethesda etc. The expectations right now are too high given there's already an agreement with Bethesda in place: the people want to hear that Valve are gonna drop the paid model and make it donations only, but surely a public commitment to that is like telling Bethesda "yeah fuck this contract we just signed with you" and nobody can reasonably expect him to do that on the fly.

Very interested to see him have this conversation. At the very least it looks like Valve will now try to justify their actions rather than go down the "gimme ur money and shut up lol" route.

cz 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 10:22 
Doesn't get out much (379)
Nerd3 pretty much explained it perfectly:

nl 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 14:35 
Community slut (13473)
Here is the sorted Q&A https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... m/?sort=qa

us 
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 15:14 
Pretty useless (66)
I heard that they are offering refunds for mods as well. At least within a 24 hour period. If they are going To offer refunds on mods they should put refunds on games as well. Since it's an open source anyone can put any game up there that they want which could have a virus of some sort, and if someone is stupid enough to buy it then bam they are hit with a virus.

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 13:40 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Seems there have been a few thousand more reviews since this fiasco. Last night Skyrim had 104,(something) steam reviews, and now it's currently at 106,854. It's lost it's 'Overwhelmingly Positive' tag and is now tagged as just 'Very Positive'.
So I've been watching this, and had a quick browse to compare scores on other games. For an 'overwhelmingly positive' score a game must have 95% positive reviews or more (and enough reviews otherwise it will just say positive). The number of reviews currently for Skyrim is at 120,381 and when Saint made this thread Skyrim had more than a 95% score, that score now sits at 85% so it's rated as 'Very Postive' still. The highest review score I've found for a game with a 'Mostly Positive' score is 78%, which it's likely going to hit and that's pretty significant. What's more if is it somehow manages to drop even further then it will be scored as 'Mixed' which would cut deep. The mixed review threshold starts somewhere around 68%.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 02:08 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
It's over! Or at least it's over for now. Paying for mods has been removed and those who paid for anything have been refunded.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they re-introduce something like this at some point, I just hope the implementation isn't terrible next time round.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 02:50 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
It's sad really, because I would like to see modders paid for their work, they deserve it. Youtubers and streamers are paid for just playing or reviewing games. The workshop already pays out to content creators. However charging for mods is just so messy and could have such a negative impact. The way Valve implemented it aswell does not help much.

Bethesda also released a statement, pasting it here so you don't have to choose your language and put in your date of birth just to read :roll:

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 08:32 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
It's sad really, because I would like to see modders paid for their work, they deserve it. Youtubers and streamers are paid for just playing or reviewing games. The workshop already pays out to content creators. However charging for mods is just so messy and could have such a negative impact. The way Valve implemented it aswell does not help much.
The modders world is a lot like the opensource world, you don't charge for your creations. You create some, you use some, that's how things work.
Quote:
Update: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear – this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you.
Awesome!

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 13:31 
Community slut (13473)
Posting from VALVe: http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWo ... 5253244218