Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:51

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
 Post subject: The scoop on the NSA
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 00:08 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Wondered what you guys thought of the whole NSA debacle?

The Guardian finally released what they knew regarding the extensive serveillance. It's a long read, but it's well paced out and pretty interesting. Scary stuff.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/intera ... #section/1

us 
 Post subject: Re: The scoop on the NSA
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 03:35 
Geek (733)
That was a really in depth article, and it really explained a lot of what people didn't know. To see now that it isn't just the United States the the NSA is recording and spying on is really something I didn't so much expect. It is indeed scary how much they record, and know about. It's even worse that encryption services really aren't that secure though I suppose the NSA has some pretty top notch code breakers in their ranks.

Overall a good look at a third part perspective of what the NSA is doing all across the world. Definitely worth the read for those of you who are wanting to know more about this.

fi 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 06:03 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
I don't mind.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 13:14 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
[SpA]Dolf wrote:
I don't mind.
Well even if you don't value your privacy, remember that this is a slippery slope. If a state succeeds in monitoring all private communication, then that's pretty much total power. Right now they're pushing it with terrorism, but this could end up being used in a variety of ways, they can run intensive tabs on activists, union leaders and pretty much anyone with some opposition to the state. With that kind of power they can smear or arrest anyone they don't like.

People may have this "I'm not doing anything wrong, so it doesn't effect me" attitude, but even if you don't live there, it makes democracy look like a bad joke. The NSA have upset a lot of people around the world for intrusive spying, If anything this is the ultimate success of terrorism, to make the state crazy paranoid to a point where it's undermining it's own freedoms.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 14:05 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
[SpA]Dolf wrote:
I don't mind.
Well even if you don't value your privacy, remember that this is a slippery slope. If a state succeeds in monitoring all private communication, then that's pretty much total power. Right now they're pushing it with terrorism, but this could end up being used in a variety of ways, they can run intensive tabs on activists, union leaders and pretty much anyone with some opposition to the state. With that kind of power they can smear or arrest anyone they don't like.

People may have this "I'm not doing anything wrong, so it doesn't effect me" attitude, but even if you don't live there, it makes democracy look like a bad joke. The NSA have upset a lot of people around the world for intrusive spying, If anything this is the ultimate success of terrorism, to make the state crazy paranoid to a point where it's undermining it's own freedoms.
It may an overused argument, but I always tell people;

Our country was kind enough to register everyone's religion in the passports of all citizens and in the town administration. No-one ever thought of this being a bad thing and no-one ever knew why you want to register such thing, but they did it anyway.

Along came 1940 and the German troops invaded our country. Mass deportation of Jews begun. How does one figure out quick and effective who is Jewish? Well, one simply goes down to the town hall, confiscate all the administration and tadaa, we've done all their work in collecting the information they required for their termination program.

So, right now you may have nothing to hide. But what about the future? What if you get invaded by foreign forces? What if your own government turns on you? And what if auto-collect data says you are suspicious, where in fact all activities you do are valid, but somehow trigger an alarm?

As Junco says, its a slippery slope.

To quote Benjamin Franklin:
Quote:
He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security
Privacy is your everything, you should fight for that.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 15:00 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Very true, the fact they're threatening companies and even taking people to court to get around their encryption is horrible. No disrespect, but terrorism is not a huge problem in the grand scale of things, the sensationalism and paranoia is. Just not worth it, especially how they're creating what are essentially backdoors and easy ways to access mass data, that's going to be exploited.

ca 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 21:17 
Geek (776)
Thanks for the example, Saint. The whole nothing to hide thing kind of annoys me.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2013, 21:55 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
terrorism is not a huge problem in the grand scale of things
This, this, this, this, this. How about everyone stops spying on their own citizens to prevent some things that may or may not happen in the first place and go fix the problems in the world that's causing that extremism in the first place?

And no, America, 'fixing extremism' doesn't mean you go bomb the bejeesus out of whatever middle eastern country has been giving you funny looks lately >_>

de 
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 18:04 
Geek (630)
The USA told us over years about friendship and partners. Now its fact that they spied all our citicens and violated the rights of each one every day and still do.
Lots of people here give a shit now about a friendship with the USA.
It is time to throw the fucking US-Army out of our country.

..and yes ..raaagee :mrgreen: