[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 19: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/specialattack/flags/event/listener.php on line 20: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
Brexit - SpecialAttack.net
Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:14

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
 Post subject: Brexit
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 05:25 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
fuck

Not officially called yet but looks like the UK's leaving the EU.

For the record, Scotland had something like a 66% 'remain' vote - decent chance this'll lead to another referendum on Scottish independence. I voted to stay in the union that time but if it's a choice between not being isolated from the rest of Europe and Nigel Farage's lot (yknow, the anti-intellectualism "we don't like experts" crowd, because that's obviously an intelligent and balanced world view to take) then I know what I'm picking.

More thoughts in the morning, now I'm tired and disappointed that the Tories have managed to fuck something up yet again when almost nobody north of the border wanted them in the first place :(

us 
 Post subject: Re: Brexit
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 08:01 
Doesn't get out much (379)
My twitter wall blew up. And it is still on fire...

You know, nothing is happening /yet/.

Neither side can decide to lose the other one (EU vs UK).

Just do not go into any conclusions yet. Both sides (anti-brexit, pro-brexit) were lying and doing bad rep to either side.

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 10:08 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (117)
Fuck.

I don't want to live here any more!!!!!!

Adopt me!

nl 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 12:14 
SpA Fookah (4459)
[SpA]uvpurple wrote:
Fuck.

I don't want to live here any more!!!!!!

Adopt me!
Challenge accepted

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 12:23 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]Ashlee wrote:
You know, nothing is happening /yet/.

Neither side can decide to lose the other one (EU vs UK).
"With the Leave vote the UK will invoke Article 50 of the Treaty of Lisbon which gives any EU member the right to quit unilaterally, and outlines the procedure for doing so:

There will now be two years to negotiate an exit deal
Once set in motion, it cannot be stopped except by unanimous consent of all member states
Any deal must be approved by a "qualified majority" of EU member states and can be vetoed by the European Parliament"

So yeah, it's happening, like it or not :-14

au 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 12:30 
Doesn't get out much (379)
I meant more for trading and world operations.

Does not matter whether you have Brussel overlords or not, you /will/ have to deal with EU and EU /will/ have to deal with UK. The UK is far too important to the rest of the Europe and EU itself.

gb 
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2016, 12:45 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Ugh I've been so frustrared with this referendum. Can't just simply 'leave' the EU, all they've achieved is damage to the EU and the UK, and locking us in alone with this right-wing government. As citzens of the UK our human rights are looking very sketchy, internet laws and green energy are going to trouble areas too. A referendum where obvious lies have played on peoples hates and fears. Very sad about this outcome and what it means for the progression of this country.

de 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 00:14 
Geek (630)
Do not worry you wont be alone for long. LePen in france already promised a Frexit-vote as soon as they have won the next election and 5 star movement in italy is calling for a vote about italy leaving the eu and quitting the euro. Other countries will follow soon. I wish we germans would be allowed to vote about leaving the eu and quitting the euro as we have never been asked at all about it.
I would like Germany to leave the EU and getting our D-Mark back and so i am happy about the Brexit. I hope the end of the EU will come faster now.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 12:01 
SpA Fookah (4459)
[SpA]Dunken wrote:
Do not worry you wont be alone for long. LePen in france already promised a Frexit-vote as soon as they have won the next election and 5 star movement in italy is calling for a vote about italy leaving the eu and quitting the euro. Other countries will follow soon. I wish we germans would be allowed to vote about leaving the eu and quitting the euro as we have never been asked at all about it.
I would like Germany to leave the EU and getting our D-Mark back and so i am happy about the Brexit. I hope the end of the EU will come faster now.
Leaving now is a stupid idea IMO.
Or does anyone of you feel like another economic depression is gonna be swell? This time not caused by the banks but by EU ppl?
Leaving would've been an option when we started the euro. Leaving now is for me comparable to quitting halfway through a birth with the babies face hanging out, rest still in.
Throwing out countries that fucked up like Greece would've been an option, before we decided to give them all that money (tbh, giving money should be paired with some restrictions and extra laws, like butting in on their reign for instance).
There's no other option IMO to sit it through now. We're well passed our deepest point of the economic depression. We're a good way towards European unity. Which, finally, will mean a lot of benefits for all of us. Something that will make all the countries in the EU stronger, better. Europe has existed for quite a while now. We're gonna quit that complete thing as well now? :?
As I said, EU and the Euro would've been a discussion point when we got the Euro. Have better laws how to deal with corruption and countries failing their duties and all. Quitting the Euro and quitting Europe now is a big mistake IMO.
How can anyone think this is a step towards a better world?

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2016, 17:16 
Community slut (13473)
Ya'll screwed

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 15:16 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I don't think there is a good future available to this continent without a strong union. This is the age of globalisation, this is the time that countries to need to band together to end the corporate grip on our resources and evironment. We can't trust our elected parties alone to choose not to overfish the oceans or even observe their own fundamental human rights. Large coporations, media and tech giants are holding more and more power over places like the UK everyday, they are simply bigger and stronger, and I think it's in our best interests that we pushback towards a union. It's inevitable that the future will hold a united europe anyway, it's a nessesity. Now it's just a question of what the UK and EU can do to endure in the mean time.

nl 
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2016, 20:51 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Leave you back in after 5 years for double your national debt paid at once! :wink:

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 14:07 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Just to get things straight cuz I'm confused.

Brian and Nigel, both pro brexit, resign after a small majority voted for a Brexit?

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 14:43 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:

Brian and Nigel, both pro brexit, resign after a small majority voted for a Brexit?
Yea, one set the country on fire, the other failed preventing it from burning, and now they both run away to not have to deal with the fallout. Perfect politics!

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 15:11 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:

Assume you mean Boris instead of Brian, but yep, that's pretty much what's happened

The story from Boris's biographer is that when the referendum was announced he sat down and wrote two letters, one setting out the argument for leaving the EU and the other for staying. After he finished them, he read them back over and decided that the argument for staying in the EU was far better. However, he thought that if he lead the exit campaign they would probably lose by a few points, which he felt would put him in the position of a likeable underdog and set himself up for a chance to be elected as Prime Minister. What he didn't expect was for leave to actually win, and now he's pretty much fucked off, with his announcement that he won't be running for PM being one of the only public appearances that he's made.

As for Nigel, he's a one-issue fringe politician who doesn't even have a seat in the British government. This is as good as it's going to get for him so he's quitting while he's ahead.

There isn't a plan for what happens after Brexit. There never was one. It was a campaign built on promises that have since turned out to be complete lies (as well as the usual anti-immigrant near-racism feelings). And now almost everyone who lead the campaign has disappeared because they don't want to be the one to pull the trigger on what is now more and more obviously becoming a terrible move for the UK. Some of them are trying to back out of it by saying that we could get an arrangement more like Norway has but there's no way the EU are playing nice with us now. As far as I can tell only two people actually had a plan: David Cameron, who's plan was "I'm quitting, it's your problem now", and Nicola Sturgeon who instantly started negotiating with other EU members to see if Scotland could stay (she says "we'll do whatever we can and if that means Scottish independence so be it", but let's be real this is the perfect opportunity for another referendum that they've been hoping for). It's an absolute shitshow.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2016, 23:33 
SpA Fookah (4459)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
It's an absolute shitshow.
Uhuh!

Fok