Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:11

All times are UTC+01:00

no 
 Post subject: Windows 8
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 16:12 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
So has anyone downloaded and tested the beta/developer version that is out? any good? any bad? any grey? any pink?

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 23:17 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
All I've seen is the task/process manager, but that looks as awesome as one of these can.

au 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 23:58 
Has no REAL life! (1481)
little off-topic here, but I find it a little funny that I'm still running on Windows XP and here we are talking about 8.

no 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 16:08 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
Ivanosauros wrote:
little off-topic here, but I find it a little funny that I'm still running on Windows XP and here we are talking about 8.
lol, starting to become retro :D

pt 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 00:17 
Geek (697)
I'm kinda in the dark about it, I just search and pretty much picked the 1st thing that appeared

And I'll have to say if that's how it'll work then I'm keeping win7..

(also, I didn't bother to listen to all the intro so I'm not 100% sure if that's really how win8 will be)

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 02:13 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Eventually your windows desktop will be full of random gadgets like the current weather(always wrong) latest headlines, and shares etc. in the middle will be a big glossy animated button which will have all your stuff on a massive poorly organised dropdown list. I wonder what useful features they'll be removing in this time :lol:

no 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 12:38 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
well i wudnt care less for that UI he talks the most about. You still have the old Win7 UI to use which is pretty much the same. And by the looks of it the CPU and Memory usage was far less, but i cant be 100% as i just installed it and i used it through VMWare.

I've been thinking about reinstalling win7 for quite some time, so why not take the opportunity to try out win8 :D

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 15:00 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
That UI is obviously for touchscreens, not like it will be forced on a desktop/laptop.

pt 
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 23:15 
Geek (697)
The guy did say it was for all kinds (not just touchscreens) :|

@Hunth, could you show us some ss's? :O

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 12:44 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
JMPanty wrote:
The guy did say it was for all kinds (not just touchscreens) :|

@Hunth, could you show us some ss's? :O
It is available for all kinds, but I wouldn't want to use it on a non-touchscreen desktop, you can easily switch to a classic desktop :wink:

Although, it does seem like there is no official option to disable it since it is supposedly classed as a start-up screen, you still have to click a tile to switch to the classic desktop. There is however a registry hack to disable it, hopefully this will be an option within the OS, keeping in mind that windows 8 release is far away yet.

se 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 14:57 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
All I've seen is the task/process manager, but that looks as awesome as one of these can.
And yet useless... :|

I would rather see that they just merged all Sysinternals tools into it. Just stick it under the advance tab or something

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 16:01 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
m3n wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
And yet useless... :|

I would rather see that they just merged all Sysinternals tools into it. Just stick it under the advance tab or something
Yup, pretty much

no 
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 20:50 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
Although, it does seem like there is no official option to disable it since it is supposedly classed as a start-up screen, you still have to click a tile to switch to the classic desktop
actually not, you just hit the Start key on your keyboard and it jumps easily between the two UI's

Heres a YouTube clip that shows how it works.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011, 00:27 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Well, that's good news, need to watch that video as well!

no 
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 18:29 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
ok, so i've been running Windows 8 for 2 days now and im just loving it.

its so fast and runs smooth. ofcourse there are some bugs but i've had betainstallations before so im used to it.
The best part is where i can go from half high, the rest medium graphics in battlefield 3 with many many many many bugs, jitter, crashes and lagg, to be able to put every setting on Ultra and play smooth without any issues. The only issue now is battlelog failing, but i had that on win7 aswell.

Im trying to get used to not having the Start menu any more and have to find other solutions for things, but it seems to be working out quite well...if theres anything from the start menu you would like to use/see you just search for it in the new Win8 UI. The searchtime has been improved alot and you dont even have time to scratch your nose :D Havent rly used the new UI other than that.

Only install issue i had was Spotify, but after installing it on another computer and copy/paste it, it now works just as before. Everything else runs just smoothly.

Lastly but not least, the booting. Takes max 30sec to start the computer, and it only took like 10 seconds to close it last night. (or was it 5? :o)

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 13:12 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
i'm thinking about upgrading Vista to Windows 8 - i'm reading that it's only £25 to do so and i need to re-install the OS soon anyway (and i'd prefer to have an OS that actually likes SSD's :ugly:). what's the verdict on 8 - worth getting? not-rubbish for gaming? any thoughts appreciated :5:

nl 
 Post subject: Re: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 13:46 
Nerdish, tbh. (503)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
i'm thinking about upgrading Vista to Windows 8 - i'm reading that it's only £25 to do so and i need to re-install the OS soon anyway (and i'd prefer to have an OS that actually likes SSD's :ugly:). what's the verdict on 8 - worth getting? not-rubbish for gaming? any thoughts appreciated :5:
It's just W7 without the old start menu and loads of ui tweaks

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

+[[color=#0040BF]FrankyDoodle[/color]]) ah french most fucky and irritating language ever
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]opo89[/color]) french is good
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]DarkknightM45[/color]) all the french are good at is surrendering

[color=#0000FF]Freebuild[/color] [color=#FF0000]Operator[/color]
[color=#0000FF]SMP[/color] [color=#008000]Member[/color]