It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:58

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
 Post subject: Need some harddrive help
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 20:19 
Crap at posting (45)
So I've been getting messages my harddrive is failing as so below:

Instructions For Fixing Hard Disk Errors:

We strongly recommend that you backup your computer to avoid potential data loss.

After you have backed up your computer, you should contact your computer manufacturer or other hardware technical support to determine if the disk with errors needs to be repaired or replaced.

We recommend that you store these printed instructions together with the media used to back up your data (for example, the CDs or USB flash drive used to store your backup), so that everything you need to fix your computer is in one place.

The following information is provided to help the hardware technical support person diagnose the hard disk with errors.

Disk Name: ST31000528AS ATA Device
Volume: D:\;C:\

Anyway, so I've tried searching them for issues, won't work. And I frequently get a blue screen saying "WINDOWS HAS SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO COMPUTER" I haven't seen much wrong just these annoying messages saying harddrive is failing. Anything I should do? I've tried to backup, but keeps failing. BUt I'm not really worried about losing much, have alot saved on harddrive. If somebody could g ive me some instructions that wouold be great. Haven't played SPA Minecraft or any other SpA games in 9 days, I'm dieing here! lol.

fi 
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 21:08 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Me no be expert, but I maintain my PC with disk defragmentations... I have to do it a few times a week, since sometimes this piece of shit refuses to work... I keep restarting and get nowhere, until it defrags itself on its own. After I'm done with that and ready to go, I use Advanced System Care to fix everything... And it works wonders...

Anyway, if it's hardware related, try checking yer cables and wires. Clean up the insides of your PC (as in your system unit, a.k.a. case) and shit. You should keep in mind that sometimes the damage is already done, which means you'll have to replace the piece.

P.S. If you understand any of this mumbo-jumbo, let me emphasise once more that I am no expert. Oh, and if it's a craptop, you're fucked.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 00:00 
Community slut (13473)
I'd first do as advised, make backups from your important stuff you don't want to lose.

Does your BIOS say anything about S.M.A.R.T by any chance? This has some disk diagnostics as well.

What OS do you run?

us 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 01:11 
Crap at posting (45)
err english? Jkin'. Well no clue what S.M.A.R.T or Bios is, No clue how to find my OS type eather, only thing I know about harddrive is like this number code thingy. ST31000528AS ATA Device Which is the disc name.

p.s I highly appreciate all this help. I'm good with computers, but not this kind of stuff.

fi 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 02:49 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
david9000112 wrote:
err english? Jkin'. Well no clue what S.M.A.R.T or Bios is, No clue how to find my OS type eather, only thing I know about harddrive is like this number code thingy. ST31000528AS ATA Device Which is the disc name.

p.s I highly appreciate all this help. I'm good with computers, but not this kind of stuff.
Wikipedia-chan wrote:
S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology; often written as SMART) is a monitoring system for computer hard disk drives to detect and report on various indicators of reliability, in the hope of anticipating failures.

When a failure is anticipated by S.M.A.R.T., the user may choose to replace the drive to avoid unexpected outage and data loss. The manufacturer may be able to use the S.M.A.R.T. data to discover where faults lie and prevent them from recurring in future drive designs.
BIOS is easier to explain - it's a firmware interface. You can open the menu when you switch on your PC and press a button it tells you to press. If you really don't know anything about these things, you'd better wait for some detailed help on the subject. It's fairly easy to mess things up.

To find out some införmätion in regards to your precious piece of machinery, hold down WIN-key and press R. Then, type in the field dxdiag, and you're done seeing basic info for yourself.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 02:50 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
Well all i could say is this, my laptop had a similar problem, i diddnt back up and soon in died, had to replace the whole damn thing, all i can suggest is backup all your data, if the hardrive is screwed then simply put your old data on the new drive and you should be fine.

au 
PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 08:30 
Has no REAL life! (1481)
OS is your operating system - is it windows xp, vista, se7en or 8? Or are you on a mac? If it's the latter then you'll need a dictionary of various wild felines.

us 
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2012, 03:38 
Likes to type... (229)
Your hard drive is going bad. The software that came with your computer (Dell, HP, etc) is telling you that sectors on the drive have gone bad. You are getting those STOP error screens (mostly known as BSOD or blue screen) because your drive cannot read vital Windows files anymore.

Seeing as you have a 1TB drive it should be fairly new, try to see if it's still under warranty, but before doing that, you need to back up data IMMEDIATELY. The longer you use your bad drive the harder it would be to clone your drive (so you don't have to reload, but if you don't care about programs it'd be best to reload anyways) and the sooner your drive would just die completely.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 01:46 
Crap at posting (45)
thanks for all the help, would defragmenting the disk help at all to extend it's life? I plan on using it until it finally fails out.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2012, 09:34 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
david9000112 wrote:
thanks for all the help, would defragmenting the disk help at all to extend it's life? I plan on using it until it finally fails out.
Once you have bad sectors your hard drive is dead. Throw it out.

For future reference though, defragging is a terrible thing to do to a drive and will drastically shorten its life.

us 
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 19:23 
Crap at posting (45)
So now when I start up my PC it says Missing Operating System, I'm assuming that mean the harddrive is fried, now to go get a new one. I just backed-up all my microsoft word files and pictures on a flash drive, I'm not losing much luckily.

us 
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 20:48 
Likes to type... (229)
david9000112 wrote:
So now when I start up my PC it says Missing Operating System, I'm assuming that mean the harddrive is fried, now to go get a new one. I just backed-up all my microsoft word files and pictures on a flash drive, I'm not losing much luckily.
Yup, you're done

us 
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2012, 22:03 
Geek (883)
gratzz!

<Assassin3562> :P
*Assassin3562 thinks his life over

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2012, 00:21 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
My hard disk died too yesterday.. although this is the second one that died, in a period of 3 years. replacing it costs 100 euros, currently looking for a desktop (game PC) and I'd like some suggestions.. Max price about 1200 - 1400 euros..

us 
PostPosted: 09 Dec 2012, 20:45 
Crap at posting (31)
pat is hijacking :p but here is the suggestion i would say : http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Holiday_Paladin_F

could upgrade it a bit, check it out, plus check out the free categoy. this is the place to go if you want a gaming computer where you dont have to do much work. If i were buying, id do noise reduction plus mobo upgrade or something to that effect.

also it comes with a 120gb ssd, depending on how much space you need, i would probably put a 60 then get a big hdd

us 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2012, 02:20 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
Thinking about this, it sounds like either just factory defects or something like a static charge going across the drive itself. Either way, it is certainly unfortunate to hear about this.