Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:21

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 22:28 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
I just need someone to tell me if I'm right or wrong with this.

I have a laptop connected through wi-fi with an open ethernet port.

I have one of those raspberry pi for some shits and giggles really, but it doesn't have wi-fi connect and is to far away from the modem to run an ethernet cable.

My plan is to ad-hoc the raspberry pi to my laptop(much closer) with a crossover cable so my raspberry can access the network/internet. Simple question, will this work?

Thanks guys!

nl 
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 22:36 
Community slut (13473)
Yes, just enable internet sharing on your wired NIC on your laptop.

us 
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 23:46 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
K, thanks! :5:

us 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2013, 02:56 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
Just a side note: OOH, those things are cool xD

us 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 23:21 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Well, its connected-ish.

I can ping anything within my network and any web-address/ip. But, when it comes to using the web-browser it says no connection. I thought it was just the browser. I then proceeded to try to use an apt-get command and it also could not connect.

Any suggestions?

nl 
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 23:33 
Nerdish, tbh. (503)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Well, its connected-ish.

I can ping anything within my network and any web-address/ip. But, when it comes to using the web-browser it says no connection. I thought it was just the browser. I then proceeded to try to use an apt-get command and it also could not connect.

Any suggestions?
Maybe you could try one of those usb wifi thingies.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

+[[color=#0040BF]FrankyDoodle[/color]]) ah french most fucky and irritating language ever
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]opo89[/color]) french is good
(+SVB) ([color=#0040BF]DarkknightM45[/color]) all the french are good at is surrendering

[color=#0000FF]Freebuild[/color] [color=#FF0000]Operator[/color]
[color=#0000FF]SMP[/color] [color=#008000]Member[/color]

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 00:01 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
frankwj1 wrote:
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Well, its connected-ish.

Any suggestions?
Maybe you could try one of those usb wifi thingies.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
I'd rather not have to, only doing the wire is because I had an extra laying around. And even if I didn't I probs would have snipped a straight-through wire and added a connector on the end.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 00:01 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Well, its connected-ish.

Any suggestions?
Verify if DNS is working (either by pinging an URL or using nslookup)

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 00:37 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Yes I can

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 04:50 
This may help to make sure you set everything up correctly. I stumbled across this when looking up how to make remote controlled Christmas Lights.

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 22:43 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Not sure how that video would help at this situation :P

I unplugged everything and started over. Shared my wi-fi connection, which auto-configured my ethernet adapter to a private address scheme(192.168.137.1). So, i plugged in my raspberry pi, booted up. Got an auto-configured IP of 192.168.137.6

I'm still stuck with the same problem: I can ping virtually anywhere(example: 192.168.137.1(ethernet network), 192.168.1.1(my modem on wireless network), and various websites and IPs on the internet) but cannot connect through apt-get commands(even "sudo apt-get update") and through any of the 3 pre-installed web-browsers it comes with.

On the apt-get commands I get errors saying they can not connect to "some web-address.com" so I was thinking maybe name resolution for the site, but sadly, when I ping the address alone, it resolves the address and pings successfully.

I'm stuck again :P

Edit: I'm also thinking about just installing a fresh version of wheezy or whatever it's called.

us 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 23:11 
Not sure either, went back and read the message, and realized that you were talking about the web browsers on the pi itself...

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 23:58 
Community slut (13473)
Can you try a telnet to specialattack.net on port 80 ?

us 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 00:05 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
problem :P Telnet is not loaded on the device by default. You have to apt-get to use it.. and well.. yeah

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 00:08 
Community slut (13473)
Well, pinging to outside sources and resolving hostnames work, so you clearly have something working there.

Perhaps a firewall issue at your laptop?

us 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 00:34 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Hmm might be, my firewall is very protective at times. I'll take a look at it then respond back. Should have thought of that first :P

Edit: That was it, gotta figure out how to exclude an entire network now, but, atleast I know what it is.

Thanks Saint! :5:

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013, 00:41 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Hmm might be, my firewall is very protective at times. I'll take a look at it then respond back. Should have thought of that first :P

Edit: That was it, gotta figure out how to exclude an entire network now, but, atleast I know what it is.

Thanks Saint! :5:
You're welcome :)