Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:40

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: Building a PC..
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 00:12 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
Hi,

I want to build my own PC, because it's cheaper and I can choose what's inside myself..
Although, I need some help choosing hardware, since I only have about 800 - 900 euros to spend right now for a PC.
Things I found myself and with a bit of help from others;
- i5 3750K @3.4GHz CPU
- Asus nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2 GB
- Asus Sabertooth Z77 s1155 motherboard
- Corsair vengeance Dual kit 1600Mhz 8GB RAM
- Corsair CX 600W (bronze) psu
- NZXT Phantom case white
- WD HDD Blue 3.5 inch 1 TB 7400 rpm 64mb cache

Altogether this is €1009,-
Keep in mind that this is just a 'rough puttogether'.
I want to use the system to play games like bf3 on high end..

Please help me with this! :5:

us 
 Post subject: Re: Building a PC..
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 02:31 
Geek (883)
Alright, we're gonna need pudding, glue, and shagged carpet..Ill pm the rest of the info to you. I'm going to need a first class ticket to the Netherlands and your address, see you in 22 hours.

<Assassin3562> :P
*Assassin3562 thinks his life over

us 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 03:34 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Well, after a solid 10 hours brain storming, price gauging and all around helping you out, I have found you the best PC. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GfuF

Yes, it's a little over your price range, but it's a great buy. To be honest, I'm not sure if everything is compatible with each other, but, life has its risks :P

Wish I could actually help you, but I'm useless with European ongoing computer prices, sorry dude :)

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 08:04 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Pat, I'll give you a hand with this. For starters, every part you picked bar the graphics card (ASUS - good choice) is total crap and should never be bought (seriously - you managed to pick both the worst manufacturers AND the worst parts - well done! :5: :mrgreen: ).

Let me wake up and find some coffee and I'll give you a better breakdown.

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 08:49 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Well, after a solid 10 hours brain storming, price gauging and all around helping you out, I have found you the best PC. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GfuF
Of all the cards you pick the Quadro. You'll feel that when you're playing games.
You want a couple of the new Nvidia Titans instead, just glue them together.

I'd probably side with howie on this one actually.

us 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 15:06 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
[SpA]don_don_don wrote:
[SpA]bubbajim3 wrote:
Of all the cards you pick the Quadro. You'll feel that when you're playing games.
You want a couple of the new Nvidia Titans instead, just glue them together.
Teehee :P Didn't even look just picked the most expesive

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 16:30 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
lol, please do =) cheers.

us 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 23:54 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
I have an idea, build up as much static electricity as possible before building it. If you do maybe that will jump start everything and it will work the very first time! Just kidding.... :mrgreen:

Looks like it could be a great build. I wouldn't go with Intel though, the newer stuff is just the same as a lot of older AMD processors. Worth looking into if you haven't already ordered everything.

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2013, 23:56 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
awesomefriends56 wrote:
I have an idea, build up as much static electricity as possible before building it. If you do maybe that will jump start everything and it will work the very first time! Just kidding.... :mrgreen:

Looks like it could be a great build. I wouldn't go with Intel though, the newer stuff is just the same as a lot of older AMD processors. Worth looking into if you haven't already ordered everything.
Well.. I've had bad experience with amd, they were pretty slow and heated up very fast so I'd like to stay with intel.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 00:07 
[SpA]Patogy wrote:
awesomefriends56 wrote:

Well.. I've had bad experience with amd, they were pretty slow and heated up very fast so I'd like to stay with intel.
Reasonable. Well, gotta go curl up into a ball and study art.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 12:51 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Oh derp - totally forgot about this - sorry. I'll get something posted today or tomorrow.

awesomefriends56 - you are so wrong its laughable. AMD are now and have been for some years complete crap. Their price point is neither here nor there as, while their drivers are still in this current appalling state, they are worthless. There is no AMD CPU that can even match the top Intel CPUs and their cards are loud, power-hungry monsters that perform piss poorly. Can we please keep the amateur hour "but I read an article" crap out of discussions were people can waste actual money?

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 13:30 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Patogy wrote:
Hi,

I want to build my own PC, because it's cheaper and I can choose what's inside myself..
Although, I need some help choosing hardware, since I only have about 800 - 900 euros to spend right now for a PC.
Things I found myself and with a bit of help from others;
- i5 3750K @3.4GHz CPU
- Asus nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2 GB
- Asus Sabertooth Z77 s1155 motherboard
- Corsair vengeance Dual kit 1600Mhz 8GB RAM
- Corsair CX 600W (bronze) psu
- NZXT Phantom case white
- WD HDD Blue 3.5 inch 1 TB 7400 rpm 64mb cache

Altogether this is €1009,-
Keep in mind that this is just a 'rough puttogether'.
I want to use the system to play games like bf3 on high end..

Please help me with this! :5:
I just bought a new system based on the same CPU, ATI, Gigabyte mobo, 8GB ram and some other stuff.

If you want I can pass you the quote for it.

I'm loving my new system, it's ridiculously fast.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 15:38 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Finally. here we go:
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/GmqU

Not included a case as...well I could care and you can grab any old optical drive as they cost buttons.

Note, this system is not the be-all, end-all, but this CPU is still, even given its age, the best out there unless you can afford a 6 core i7; which you cannot.

GFX wise the Ti you quoted performs around about 5% better for a lot more money so ignore it.

As to the AMD argument: there is none. AMD is there only if you need cheap, bad systems. If that is your market, all power to you. The only card worth getting from them (I dismiss their CPUs entirely - they are worthless) is the 7970 and you cannot afford that (or stand the RIDICULOUS noise it generates).

The mother board is arguable depending on demand but, if you get the 2500K, you HAVE to get a Z68 chipset or you are wasting your time.

Questions?

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 18:49 
[SpA]Howard wrote:
awesomefriends56 - you are so wrong its laughable. AMD are now and have been for some years complete crap. Their price point is neither here nor there as, while their drivers are still in this current appalling state, they are worthless. There is no AMD CPU that can even match the top Intel CPUs and their cards are loud, power-hungry monsters that perform piss poorly. Can we please keep the amateur hour "but I read an article" crap out of discussions were people can waste actual money?
I'm not sure if you're just going on articles and fake benchmark tests... This video explains it all. The Intel Core i7 is slightly faster than the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, which is two years old. Look at this side by side comparison of the two processors rendering the same video in the same resolution in the same format on the same program. Look at it in a practical sense, which would you rather have if the difference between them is only a small one. I understand that AMD is now mostly crap so I know where you're coming from. I have a laptop that runs all AMD stuff in it, it crashes while playing Minecraft. Anyways, look at this:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 18:56 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
awesomefriends56 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
I'm not sure if you're just going on articles and fake benchmark tests... This video explains it all. The Intel Core i7 is slightly faster than the AMD Phenom II X6 1045T, which is two years old. Look at this side by side comparison of the two processors rendering the same video in the same resolution in the same format on the same program. Look at it in a practical sense, which would you rather have if the difference between them is only a small one. I understand that AMD is now mostly crap so I know where you're coming from. I have a laptop that runs all AMD stuff in it, it crashes while playing Minecraft. Anyways, look at this:

YouTube video
Oh god - not even gonna read that or click the video.
I am going on the fact that I did this for a living for 10 years and that I have been building gaming machines for longer than you have been alive. AMD CPUs are junk - complete and utter. The flagship CPU - bulldozer - cannot even beat the one I just suggested for Patogy, let alone the 6 core i7. You, matey, are the one believing hype - I am the one who has built the systems and run the benchmarks. AMD are worthless as anything other than comedy, budget machines - period.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2013, 19:13 
Last thing, Cinebench actually put code in their programs to slow down the program if it was running on an AMD machine. I can't argue with you which is better, you ARE the expert. I am simply going on my own research and what I have seen myself. If you don't want to watch the video, there was a two minute difference in which the i7 with Ivy Bridge was faster. The guy stated that he does get better framerates in Vegas but it wasn't that big of a difference. Before that video was uploaded he had made tons of videos on how bad AMD sucked, he even admitted he was wrong. For budget machines I believe that AMD would be better to go with, Intel is better but in a practical sense AMD is cheaper. Go with what you wish I will just have to see, through my own stupidity one day when I actually get around to building my own computer, which is better or if it's really any different.

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2013, 16:29 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
OK, out of shear boredom I watched that video: what a fucking arsehole. For starters, learn to talk and learn pronmunciations you retard yank. Seond, learn how to do a benchmark.

He does not state what the RAM is in each machine, just the amount - idiot
He does not state what the hard drives are in the Intel machine. The 750GB, 7200rpm drive in the AMD machine is likely FAR faster than a 1, 2 or 3 TB drive in the Intel machine and caching and writes on a file that large make a massive difference - idiot
Vegas, the software he is using to encode, uses the fucking GPU to encode video! - idiot.

I will back track some of what I said yesterday as I am less annoyed now. AMD CPUs are not useless - at least not at mid range - but their latest offering have been pure shite. Whatever this guy did, he did it wrong as there is no way a Phenom II takes a 6 core i7 out for a ride - there is simply no physical way. For all I know (I've not used Vegas) it is one of the many pieces of software that hates HyperThreading and therefore would slow down immensely.
AMD have some decent hardware but their boards are just dross and the GPUs are being utterly hamstrung by their power requirements (which are insane) and their drivers (which are made of unicorn poop and ignorance).

Here is a REAL benchmark between those 2 processors:

The i7 is 4th from the top. The Phenom is 40th!:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu- ... ,3167.html
A side by side of the two:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu- ... 5797%5D=on

His test is bullshit and he is a fucking idiot.

us 
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2013, 00:43 
Oh crap, AMD is slow as crap :shock: I'm so dumb for not thinking about what my laptop had in it :20 Anyways, ignore me...

us 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 04:01 
Likes to type... (229)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Pat, I'll give you a hand with this. For starters, every part you picked bar the graphics card (ASUS - good choice) is total crap and should never be bought (seriously - you managed to pick both the worst manufacturers AND the worst parts - well done! :5: :mrgreen: ).

I really hope this isn't referring to the i5 and 660 ti card.

This is the best for your money, upgrading to an i7 (for 100 American Dollars) won't see much improvement (only adds hyperthreading and a little bit faster clock), and going from a 660 ti to a 670 is another 100 dollars with small improvements. My advice, is to save up the 100 Euros and build your machine right the first time; it will last for years.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 11:06 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Pizzaman194 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

This is the best for your money, upgrading to an i7 (for 100 American Dollars) won't see much improvement (only adds hyperthreading and a little bit faster clock), and going from a 660 ti to a 670 is another 100 dollars with small improvements. My advice, is to save up the 100 Euros and build your machine right the first time; it will last for years.
Try reading what I posted - yes, everything he picked was wrong. That is why I posted my suggested build.

Another amateur who thinks he's an expert...

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 12:08 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Hey now come on, expertise doesn't make someone immune from error or misjudgement. Pat can take a look at whats been suggested, and maybe people can dig up proof on why they think a certain build is the best value for money, but lets not throw words like amateur around, it's patronising.

gb 
PostPosted: 03 Mar 2013, 13:25 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
Hey now come on, expertise doesn't make someone immune from error or misjudgement. Pat can take a look at whats been suggested, and maybe people can dig up proof on why they think a certain build is the best value for money, but lets not throw words like amateur around, it's patronising.
I know its patronising. It was meant to be patronising.

Like it or not, I know this. I have worked with this. I have been paid for being an expert in this. Some kid who read a few websites and built one PC simply does not know what they are talking about on any comparative basis and has no realistic grounds on which to argue with me. we are not talking about abstractions, we are not talking about opinions: this is facts. Hardware is precisely comparable in several real-world terms and having people pitch in with their "I read a magazine" or "I saw a video" when people are spending hundred of dollars is simply not responsible and I will NOT tolerate it.

us 
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 02:13 
Likes to type... (229)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]Pizzaman194 wrote:

Try reading what I posted - yes, everything he picked was wrong. That is why I posted my suggested build.

Another amateur who thinks he's an expert...
Now hold on, before you start calling me out as an amateur, let's see what you picked.

i5 2500k: Why the old stuff? the 3570k is a 10$ difference, so why not?

Custom cooler: why? Stock is fine as long as he gets a decent case.

Board: Same story as the CPU, why not get the Z77 chipset, but personally I don't care if he gets a Gigabyte or Asus board. Better off with a similar gigabyte board though.

Memory: pretty standard stuff, it's fine.

Green Drive: As a secondary I guess it's okay, but why not have a standard hard drive incase he has to install programs on it or reuse it as a primary.

Power Supply: You don't need that good of a power supply. If he's only running one mid-range card, a bronze 550-650watt would be just fine.

SSD: Although it's fast, 120gb doesn't go far. You'd only be able to install a few games (bf3 itself with all expansions is 34gb) + windows. It doesn't help with game performance. I'd consider this last after he is up to specs with everything else. Use this money on the graphics card. If he wants to add an SSD later, I'd recommend a 240gb, Intel or Samsung is fine

Graphics card: This is undoubtedly the most important part in the machine when it comes to gaming. A 660 won't play BF3 at high settings. Battlefield 3 is so demanding, it's ridiculous really. On my i7 2600 + 6950 setup, I play on Low-Medium settings because I drop below 60fps on all Medium settings, and I don't even play in 1080p! I must use 1680x1050 because of my monitor size. If he wants to play High at 1920x1080, he needs a high-end card. a 660ti is borderline. I would recommend a 670 or 680 if he can afford those.

http://www.techspot.com/review/572-nvid ... page4.html
Look at these benchmarks, keep in mind the CPU being used is a 3970k extreme i7 processor, so the GPU is the bottleneck.

on the 1920x1200 chart, It's a 7-9 frame difference every time from the 660, to the 660 ti, to the 670. These benchmarks are done playing on Ultra, so on High, the differences will be greater.

So, an i5 3570k and the 660ti should technically be better than my rig by a fair amount, when i get on the low end 40 fps on High, the 660ti should be enough to always be 60fps or more

fi 
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 08:35 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
...or just get a Nokia and play Angry Birds on it.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2013, 15:55 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Pizzaman194 wrote:
<snip>

The i5 2500k ships unlocked. The CPU you listed does not. On a Z68 chipset, the 2500k will automatically and completely safely overclock itself. Without tweaks, you are getting a 4.4 gig CPU for the price of a 3.3 gig CPU. With the cooler I listed you will a) increase lifespan dramatically, b) remove noise and c) be able to easily overclock to 4.9+. Modern engines are very CPU intensive: this matters.

The 660 Ti is a joke.
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012 ... ,2969.html

Those are BF3 running at insane resolution and detail. See the difference between the 660 and the 660 TI? There is none, not for the money you are paying.

Getting the picture yet? I really do know this far, far, far better than you whether you like it or not.