Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:22

All times are UTC+01:00

us 
 Post subject: I Haz Question!
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 21:30 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
Okay so I am planning on saving a bit of money when I get around to building my PC and re-using a case that we have laying around to house spare or old computer parts (the case is larger than the other ones we have here and we don't use that computer anymore). So I need to know where and how I could store the parts, which include: motherboard, RAM, PSU, Soundcrad, and other parts.

Just a bit of info about the case, it was a commercial case made by Compaq around '99 so it is quite large, plus it has areas for more fans in the case. The components inside work just fine but are very outdated. I have plans on updating all the hardware inside it and making a retro looking gaming build and that particular case is the only one large enough to hold a graphics card. Alternatively I can just buy a new case for around $30-$50 USD if you guys and gals don't have any idea where I can put this stuff.

Long story short I have parts I need to get out of the way for a new project, I don't have the original boxes for everything so I need to know if there's a safe way to store everything if I need to use it later.

Thanks in advance,
AF56 :ugly: :18

us 
 Post subject: Re: I Haz Question!
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 21:41 
Ah, and another thing! I opened my computer up today to do my monthly cleaning (dusting) of it. and I noticed that sometime during the last month my CPU fan was unplugged. Nobody had touched it between now and the last time I had cleaned it. Is it possible for a power surge to eject a cable, and should I be worried about the CPU itself?

fi 
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2013, 21:51 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
It is possible, but highly unlikely. I'd say the possibility is practically zero. PCs tend to vibrate a bit (usually unnoticeable), so it's possible your fan just got hit by an earthquake and felt so Japanese it unplugged itself. Other possibilities include you whacking the case with a baseball bat and some other inconcievable actions.

Sorry for not being able to help with all the technical stuff, I've always used ready-to-use package PCs :P

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

us 
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 04:51 
Okay just decided to post some pictures of the case and board in it to see if you have any ideas on what I could replace them with.
Also the original specs I had in mind, I may get a different board and PSU: