Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:39

All times are UTC+01:00

be 
 Post subject: Computer Issues
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 01:16 
Has no REAL life! (1086)
Well then, I've finally reached the point where this thing is annoying the fuck out of me, so here goes...

I've bought my computer a bit more than 2 years ago, and after a while I've started getting issues with devices that stop working from time to time.

Sadfully I cannot find an email that contains the details about my purchase of this computer, though I'm not too sure about some of the stuff in it.

Specifically, the problem I'm having is that devices connected through USB can sometimes just stop working. I've had this happen to a keyboard, 2 mice and a lot with my headset.

What happens depends on the device.
  • Keyboard: The indicator leds stay on, but any keypress isn't received by the computer, so I can't type anything.
  • Mouse: the laser light turns off (it should normally always be on), and mouse input no longer works.
  • Headset: Any application that is playing sound keeps playing sound, but any application that tries to play sound/get a handle to play sound fails. So I can play a youtube video, the thing happens and the audio will continue, but if I pause the video and start playing it again it won't work.
I'm also suspecting this to be the source of some other problems I've been having.
Most of the times I try to do something with Bluetooth (there is a Bluetooth controller built in to the back of my computer, probably connected through USB as well), it'll fail to complete the action. Sometimes even freezing the application and causing it to crash (windows 8 settings for example).

It probably also causes an issue with my mic not working, even when the computer has just been turned on.

The way I usually fix this is either unplugging the device that is not working properly, or going to device manager and uninstalling it and restarting. (Most of the time, restarting is required because windows can't properly remove the device).

The issue is probably not related to drivers or OS version, because I've had this issue while Windows 7 was installed, as well as with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

It's also not possible to force the issue to happen, because it happens randomly.

It's also worth to note that the issue happens with all USB ports, the ones on the front and the ones on the back.

Things I've done so far:
  • Install specific software for my headset, this didn't help and has since been removed because of a system reinstall.
  • Update the BIOS of my motherboard (in case that can work in some way)
Specifications: I really hope this is something I can fix, but it looks like it's something related to hardware, but I'm not sure how I would check. (I'm not prepared to go with linux for a week trying to reproduce the issue, as it'd drive me insane not being able to do the stuff I usually do)

So, any ideas or suggestions as to how I can find out what the issue is?

nl 
 Post subject: Re: Computer Issues
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 06:37 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Uhmmmm, I can definitely solve any hardware issue you have.

Drunk and stoned at the moment, hard to remember whatever you typed :P

What I DID deduct from your story,
You think it somewhat related to sound stuff?
Did you try and cancel out all sound stuff?

Wherever you are , you need to cancel out stuff

So far, it sounds like it could be motherboard issue
PSU issue, but, PSU stuff usually is majorly random, so, you having an idea it's sound related contradicts it

Some random suggestions

Get a cheap USB hub that is socket powered, mwahahaha, I'm way too stoned and drunk right now, tried to find one, but seriously :P
I mean a USB hub that has a seperate power socket feed
TBH, your usb slots should be able to handle it. Try to hook only the necessary, see how it handles that

Could still very well be a PSU or MOBO problem.

PSU not being powerful enough. We c an tell you that if you post your brand and Watt of your PSU and what hardware you have in

MOBO. http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/in ... deddefault , your mobo should be fine handling it all
]]

Sorry m8 ,way too stoned and drunk to help yuou :PPPPP

You live in Deutschland right? Get over to saint's and me, we'll solve it :D

Cheerzzzzzz

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 08:43 
Community slut (13473)
I am innocent.

nl 
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2015, 11:48 
Community slut (13473)
Ok so basically you have such a vague problem it could be literally anything.

Personally this is the path I would take to troubleshoot the problems:

- Update BIOS
- Update all device drivers in windows
- Replace PSU with test unit / check is PC is "grounded" (power supply)
- Replace memory
- Replace motherboard

us 
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2015, 22:53 
Does Minecraft or something... (1323)
It might sound stupid but updating your GPU (if you have one) can fix some non-graphical issues. For some reason I had a ton of programs stop working after an update to windows and all it took was me going to the GPU's website and finding the correct drivers for it.

Also, like has already been said, I would check all the drivers and make sure you have the latest sound driver, then check the BIOS and make sure it's up to date.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2015, 12:39 
Has learned to write! (169)
have you tried turning it off and on again?

A good day below ground - you're blessed

There is nothing nothing finer than a miner

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 13:02 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (117)
buy a new hard drive and windows re install.

it will probably fix your current problem

then you can get some other interesting ones going...

computers are like small animals/children always needing something the balance i use it - (annoying / feeling of responsibility) ^ (my level of arsedness / accountability)

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2015, 18:08 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]uvpurple wrote:
buy a new hard drive and windows re install.

it will probably fix your current problem

then you can get some other interesting ones going...

computers are like small animals/children always needing something the balance i use it - (annoying / feeling of responsibility) ^ (my level of arsedness / accountability)
Judging by the lack of power to his mouse at a certain point I doubt it has anything to do with the HDD. However, any faulty piece of hardware could cause the strangest issues.

nl 
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2015, 21:05 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Come and visit Saint and me, we'll fix it for you, how's that for a solution?

be 
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 23:50 
Has no REAL life! (1086)
Issue might actually be resolved, managed to peek inside of my PC for some more specs and for it's (not) scheduled cleaning.

Found out that the case was being put under charge through my display, because the wall socket apparently isn't properly connected and has the earth wire and a live wire switched, which propagated through my display to my computer (PSU apparently didn't connect my case to the ground directly).

Edit 16-07-2015: Issue still exists after fixing grounding