Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:42

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2008, 12:41 
Nerdish, tbh. (416)
There was some discussion last night about making sprays transparent, plugins etc.
So I’ve decided to let you know my way of creating a transparent spray you will need 2 tools Photoshop and VTFedit.

Personally I prefer CS2 than the latest version so I will use that in this quick tutorial

Photoshop - http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/index.html
VTFedit - http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=149

Ok, im going to make a simple sign spray, im not going to teach you how use photoshop in this so don’t get to excited :P - don’t forget your spray can be no bigger than 256x256

Step 1. Select the magic wand tool from the menu bar and click and where outside of your sign, then along the the top of photoshop you should be able to see the menu "select" click than then "inverse" so now you should have just the object selected.

Step 2. Click channels on the floating toolbar see the screenshot.

Now along the bottom of this channels tab click "create new channel" 3 button along.

it should then look like this.

This new channel as you can see has a little eye next to it and the image itself is totally black apart from the selection you made, you now need to fill the inside of the spray with what ever color you want I am using black and white so not be accused of being racist. Now click the eye next to alpha 1 to remove its visibility, and now click the square next to RGB at the top this will select the other channels as well and hey presto your image is back to how it was woohooo.

This is what it should look like now.

Now the final step is to save the file as a TGA leaving the default options as they are making sure 32 bit is selected.

Now open VTFedit
Click file import and navigate to your .tga file that you have just created and open it up then you will be prompted with another windows make sure you options are the same as mine…..

[updated from Lim]

Once imported you should be able to see your sign just click File > “Save as” this will save it as a .vtf then “tools” “create vmt file” and just click create make sure it has the same file name and your done.

Now open (your dir)\Steam\steamapps\(your username)\team fortress 2\tf\materials\VGUI\logos

If the folder does not already exsist just create it. Place both the files in here.

Start TF2 goto Options > Multiplayer tab > sprays are all there :)

Hope this helps :)