Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:16

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2013, 23:47 
Has no REAL life! (3493)

If you've ever looked at a gameplay video on Youtube to help decide whether or not to purchase a game (which is probably everyone here) then I recommend you give this a watch. Sometimes the greed and stupidity of big corporations is astounding.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 02:40 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
It's really bullshit, it's a shame no serious competitor is stepping in. Being a US site owned by google they have to answer to copyright(not nessarily in the stupid way they're doing now) and censorship, while another site could offer the similiar service without all that.

A fun fact aswell is that lets players like pewdewpie and totalbiscuit are immune to this purge because they make enough money for youtube to consider them managed channels, while other monetized uploaders are affiliates and can have the rug pulled from under them at any point.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 04:19 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
It's really bullshit, it's a shame no serious competitor is stepping in. Being a US site owned by google they have to answer to copyright(not nessarily in the stupid way they're doing now) and censorship, while another site could offer the similiar service without all that.
Lack of competition is definitely part of the problem, but there's no easy solution.

If you start up a new video hosting website tomorrow then your options are either to follow copyright law or ignore it (I'd be very surprised if the location of the servers makes any important difference at the end of the day - if people are going to make a living off of it then they can reasonably expect to have to toe the line somewhere). If you ignore copyright law then at some point a big company is going to come knocking on your door and, quite justifiably, sue you for everything you're worth. If you don't ignore it then you're going to need the legal firepower, corporate connections and financial backing to come up with an agreement amicable to hundreds upon hundreds of different companies from all across the globe. It's not exactly a kickstarter-friendly prospect.

And even if you manage that, what are the chances of you ending up with a legal arrangement better than what Youtube already has? And if it is, will it be good enough for TotalBiscuit and the rest of them to stake their livelihoods on this new, relatively untested business platform? Either it would have to be magical in a way that I can't really imagine or Youtube would have to go nuclear. Safe to say that for the time being Youtube have this gig locked up, and that's the way they and the men in suits like it.

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 13:57 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I'm not 100%, I think but there are countries you can host servers where the US can't really intervene or encourage said country to do so. China for instance do not give a shit :lol: have you seen Final Combat?

Youtube is the big one and so they do get a lot of attention which means a lot of trouble, but I think the the audience for lets players and general internet savvy people could easily be stolen away. Vimeo for instance seemingly overnight swallowed up the professional audience by being a much better place for filmmakers and animators to upload their work. A smaller niche rival would probably not come under as much copyright pressure, and probably wouldn't have to deal with it in such a heavy handed way. You're right they have got this gig locked up, and that's why they don't need to make any effort protecting uploaders.