Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:11

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: Re: Interesting talks
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2013, 23:45 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
Mr. James Duane, a professor at Regent Law School and a former defense attorney, tells you why you should never agree to be interviewed by the police.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8z7NC5sgik[/youtube]

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2013, 12:31 
Community slut (13473)
http://www.ted.com/talks/mike_rowe_cele ... _jobs.html
Quote:
Mike Rowe, the host of "Dirty Jobs," tells some compelling (and horrifying) real-life job stories. Listen for his insights and observations about the nature of hard work, and how it’s been unjustifiably degraded in society today.

Mike Rowe is the host of "Dirty Jobs" -- an incredibly entertaining and heartfelt tribute to hard labor.

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:34 
Community slut (13473)

Quote:
VICE's Ryan Duffy went to Colombia to check out a strange and powerful drug called Scopolamine, also known as "The Devil's Breath." It's a substance so intense that it renders a person incapable of exercising free will. The first few days in the country were a harrowing montage of freaked-out dealers and unimaginable horror stories about Scopolamine. After meeting only a few people with firsthand experience, the story took a far darker turn than we ever could have imagined.

nl 
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 22:45 
Community slut (13473)

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 10:08 
Community slut (13473)
http://www.ted.com/talks/mikko_hypponen ... o_act.html
Quote:
Recent events have highlighted, underlined and bolded the fact that the United States is performing blanket surveillance on any foreigner whose data passes through an American entity -- whether they are suspected of wrongdoing or not. This means that, essentially, every international user of the internet is being watched, says Mikko Hypponen. An important rant, wrapped with a plea: to find alternative solutions to using American companies for the world's information needs.

As computer access expands, Mikko Hypponen asks: What's the next killer virus, and will the world be able to cope with it? And also: How can we protect digital privacy in the age of government surveillance?

nl 
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2014, 17:17 
Community slut (13473)
http://www.ted.com/talks/juan_enriquez_ ... ttoos.html
Quote:
What if Andy Warhol had it wrong, and instead of being famous for 15 minutes, we’re only anonymous for that long? In this short talk, Juan Enriquez looks at the surprisingly permanent effects of digital sharing on our personal privacy. He shares insight from the ancient Greeks to help us deal with our new “digital tattoos.”

us 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015, 07:49 
Geek (733)
This past week a good friend and mentor of mine got to do a session with Ted. Him and the band he plays for were down for the Ted@UPS special. The lead man in the group, Johnny Staats, is a UPS driver. I don't know when the talk will air on his website, but it'll be on the band's in October. Here is the article on it if anyone is interested. Just thought I'd post this since I heard about it this weekend.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2015, 23:50 
Community slut (13473)
Tara Shears, one of my new favorite scientists. Explains it well, nice to listen too.

nl 
PostPosted: 14 Dec 2015, 23:58 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
As a novelist, Daniel Suarez spins dystopian tales of the future. But on the TEDGlobal stage, he talks us through a real-life scenario we all need to know more about: the rise of autonomous robotic weapons of war. Advanced drones, automated weapons and AI-powered intelligence-gathering tools, he suggests, could take the decision to make war out of the hands of humans.
https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_suarez ... to_a_robot

gb 
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 16:19 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I think that a lot of the consequences we'll experience from robots in both industry and military won't be clear until we're actively using them. A treaty would certainly be ideal, but I have a feeling that AI fighters will be inevitable.

nl 
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2015, 19:25 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
I think that a lot of the consequences we'll experience from robots in both industry and military won't be clear until we're actively using them. A treaty would certainly be ideal, but I have a feeling that AI fighters will be inevitable.
I'm guessing it might become an 1945 a-bomb kinda situation, once, never again (hopefully)