It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:13

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Oct 2010, 09:45 
Pretty useless (87)
Giving support is not easy :50
QuantumTarantino = support dude :idea:
Buba_Smith2 wrote:
According to the disclaimer, and I quote: "...acceptance of Steam Subscriber Agreement required for activation" as well as, "Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication."

Steam is a pile of ☺☺☺☺. Point of fact, it was named after the steam that arose from said pile of ☺☺☺☺. That said, I own EVERY single version of Civilization ever made, so obviously I bought Civ 5. Steam is a pile of ☺☺☺☺ that needlessly runs in the background of my computer wasting system resources and pissing me off. Long story short, the game insists that after I activate the game, I DO NOT REQUIRE an internet connection to play it. So I installed the game, activated it (make sure that you uninstall all your anti-malware software since steam is a horrific virus set to ruin your life, otherwise they automatically block steam like a good virus protector should.) and then I went to go and uninstall Steam. BAM, no more Civ. I tried running Civ without being connected to the internet. After about 15 minutes of the system trying to kill itself, it finally came back offering an offline play option.

After uninstalling steam, and being forced to reinstall, I am now unable to connect to the steam network. So I guess I spent $50 on DVD case and a pretty fold-out tech-tree and a Civ-themed coaster.

So this may sound completely retarded, but I want a game where I install the files from a disk onto my hard drive, open an executable, and magically, a program runs. I know, it's completely ridiculous.

Hey, guess what, the pirated version of the game doesn't give me these hassles, maybe that's why so many people don't pay for software anymore. :20

If I can't run Civ5 without Steam, it'll be going back.
I'd like to point out that I own a computer store that specializes in high-end gaming systems and custom systems and we carry PC games. It looks like we won't be offering Civ5 to our customers.
QuantumTarantino wrote:
You cant run Civ without steam
Fantasy wrote:
I'm just amazed at how many utterly false and easily provable statements you feel comfortable uttering. Don't you have any shame?
QuantumTarantino wrote:
I wont discuss theft
Fantasy wrote:
Like taking someone's money ($50) and giving nothing in return? Yeah, OK, let's not talk about that theft.
QuantumTarantino wrote:
He read the requirements, chose to use a one time use, licence, activating it in his name, and is now choosing to not use said licence.
He received, what he paid for.
turocano wrote:
Do not feed the trolls.
Hakuryu9 wrote:
I'm not a fan of Steam. I don't care if that background program uses 1 byte of memory, I just dont want anything 'extra' running. Online activation sounds good, to prevent piracy, but 3 days after release, you can easily find cracks to run illegal copies of Civ 5 without Steam.

Realistically, Steam is not invasive. It doesn't use hardly any resources, and is basically transparent.

However, the real problem I have is the 'ad' part of Steam. Wow, some game I have no interest in is 50% off this week on Steam - which pops up when playing Civ5. It doesn't interrupt the game, but when I close the game I see these ads. Where is the 'Do not show me ads' option when installing Steam? I bought the game that uses Steam, I'm not playing it free and agreeing to be advertised to.

Minor gripe, yea, but still. I almost feel like being advertised to is some sort of guilt trip. If I don't put up with advertising, then games will be pirated, and will not be availabe in the future.