Replays? Yay or nay?
Yay 71%  71%  [ 17 ]
Nay 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
Care? 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 24
se 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 13:41 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (112)
Are you one of those ppl who are not so handy with videoediting, demorecording and whatnots?
Still want to be able to make fun and humiliating videos pwning other players on the server?

Valve has given us the tool! With the new replay feature we can save replays of our carnage.
We can edit it easily inside the game and we can upload it to YouTube straight away, showing off that beautiful airblast, the magnificent headshot, the amazing airshot.

Now what do you say? Do YOU want Replays enabled on the SpA servers?

**Edit**

Added poll

Last edited by saifon on 06 May 2011, 16:04, edited 2 times in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 13:58 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I'm gonna make a video about how many times I managed to kill saifon even with his gay fire retardant shield :18

http://www.teamfortress.com/replayupdate/

but yeah this looks great :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 15:26 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
comic was pretty cool!

i like this feature because some people just dont have the software etc to do demo capture proper, so this means your less tech savvy people can have a go...

not sure if ill enter anything though, because the amount of submissions will be insane.

EDIT: I doubt this feature will be turned on, as the other recent client features have been restricted on our servers.

se 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 15:48 
Been toying around with it for a bit just testing it out.
It's really, really easy to use. Would love to see it on the server.

I guess it would increase serverload a tiny bit as it's basically a SourceTV client named "replay" that joins the server and records everything and then "cuts out" the part of your last life when you press F6. The server I joined didn't show any effect of this process, and a 4minute+ replay was downloaded in a matter of seconds.
I would really love to see this feature, as I'd love to make movies myself and I'm not one of those ppl who "have the software etc to do demo capture proper" as Balls said.

I probably won't submit anything to the contest either, just wanna do this for fun and to share with the rest of the community :)

gb 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 15:53 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Plus every video you upload will go in the epic fail category! hahahahhaa

CAN I GET ONE UP HERE HIGH FIVE!

no one...

any one ...

left me hanging bro :<

se 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 15:55 
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
Plus every video you upload will go in the epic fail category! hahahahhaa

CAN I GET ONE UP HERE HIGH FIVE!

no one...

any one ...

left me hanging bro :<
fu ._.
Na, if any I wanted to upload in the mid-air kill category after a successful juggle-into-charge-slash :P

gb 
PostPosted: 06 May 2011, 16:05 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
3 words.

Dream on.

:ugly:

nl 
PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 17:35 
Community slut (13473)
EDIT: I doubt this feature will be turned on, as the other recent client features have been restricted on our servers.
Why do you always have to write these sort of comments in your posts regarding how the TF2 servers are ran?

This feature is completely something different then the voting system which has been turned off, as that is what you are referring too. You know very well we've always restricted any form of voting. That VALVe implements a server sided vote system, which was already possible since the dawn of days, doesn't mean we have to suddenly implement it although we're against voting.

This replay feature has no annoying impact during the game as far as I can tell, so besides having to check what this does on server performance and bandwidth usage I see no reason why this should not be turned on. I can't just blindly throw it on without doing a bit of research to it's impact first.

nl 
PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 17:49 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
3 words.

Dream on.

:ugly:
Are you not missing a word?

de 
PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 20:56 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Every second without replay is full of missed opportunities to record fail! We must not allow a replay gap!

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 11:17 
Community slut (13473)
We're currently in the process of turning on the replay feature.

We have a few challenges here;
- Webserver runs of different machine then gameservers, we'll need to setup sync scripts between the machines in order for the replay movies to be moved over to a publicly accessible location
- Filesize is expected to grow very large, we'll need to apply filecompression before offering the movies up for download
- Prune scripts required to remove old data to prevent wasting storage space
- Add some sort of webinterface for users to be able to easily find and download their replay's

Currently you'll find the replay feature enabled on servers 1 and 2, the data however won't (yet) be available until we've solved the above issues.

se 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 14:06 
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

- Webserver runs of different machine then gameservers, we'll need to setup sync scripts between the machines in order for the replay movies to be moved over to a publicly accessible location
- Filesize is expected to grow very large, we'll need to apply filecompression before offering the movies up for download
- Add some sort of webinterface for users to be able to easily find and download their replay's

Currently you'll find the replay feature enabled on servers 1 and 2, the data however won't (yet) be available until we've solved the above issues.
Can't you just use the replay_ftp.cfg to move the replays to the webserver? This way problem 4 is solved aswell.

Also, solution to #3
Code:
replay_cleanup_time
    default: 1 
    The Replay system will periodically remove stale .dem files from disk. This variable represents the amount of time (in hours)

replay_demolifespan
    The number of days before cleaning up replay demos. Modifying this number will not affect the lifespan of existing replays.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 14:32 
Community slut (13473)
saifon wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Can't you just use the replay_ftp.cfg to move the replays to the webserver? This way problem 4 is solved aswell.

Also, solution to #3
Code:
replay_cleanup_time
    The Replay system will periodically remove stale .dem files from disk. This variable represents the amount of time (in hours)

replay_demolifespan
    The number of days before cleaning up replay demos. Modifying this number will not affect the lifespan of existing replays.
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Due to security reasons we do not have any FTP services running on that machine.

The current implemented cleanup code is broken (VALVe confirmed this), and it won't take care of cleaning out the webserver.

Cheers,

se 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 14:35 
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Due to security reasons we do not have any FTP services running on that machine.

The current implemented cleanup code is broken (VALVe confirmed this), and it won't take care of cleaning out the webserver.

Cheers,
Aight, had to ask :)

Thanks for clearing that up

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 17:39 
Community slut (13473)
Apperantly I've misunderstood the implementation of this thing.

Users won't ever directly download the files, only in game (still through the server). This means we cannot provide the stuff compressed, which will be an extra addition to the bandwidth usage.

At the other side, it does make this thing more easy to implement.

ee 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 17:46 
Likes to type... (233)
Just thought I'd mention, that there seem to be big lag issues for some people.

Last edited by matude on 09 May 2011, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 17:46 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
Just thought I'd mention, that there seem to be some big lag issues for some people.
Just for some? Any special conditions?

ee 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 17:47 
Likes to type... (233)
There are only 6 or so people in the server at the moment, and through 3 maps they have all been saying the server needs a restart because it's a lot laggy than usually. I on the other hand only witness minor extra lag.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 17:56 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
There are only 6 or so people in the server at the moment, and through 3 maps they have all been saying the server needs a restart because it's a lot laggy than usually. I on the other hand only witness minor extra lag.
Any idea if those players were doing anything with the replay feature?

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 18:17 
Community slut (13473)
We've disabled the feature again. We could notice the lagspikes even from outside the game (hlsw, ssh sessions).

Apperantly we're not the only once dealing with these issues. They seem to be traditionally only for Linux machines again (gg VALVe).

Guess we'll have to await an update or 2.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 18:56 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
From: hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jon Lippincott
Sent: 09 May 2011 18:44
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] replay feature

Also, the files are already compressed using bzip.

We will be releasing a FAQ for server ops within the next day or so, which will include all the details. I'll post to this list and the forums.

-Jon
All right, that deals with the compressing issue. Now I directly get a sneaky suspicion on where the lag is coming from.

de 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 19:15 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
:(

Should have used windows for the server!

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 19:54 
Community slut (13473)
I've fully configured the replay feature. We have to wait now for VALVe to fix the lag spikes before turning it on.

After some testing my theory is that when the client dies, the server will bzip the file, and initiate an upload. At that moment a small lag spike occurs. It looks like either one of those actions is causing the lag spike.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 21:39 
Community slut (13473)
In theory the lag issue might be fixed. If anyone can give server 2 a go and confirm this.

For anyone nerdish enought to want to know what might have fixed it (thanks for hlds mailing list)
Quote:
The local publish job is executed into server's main thread instead of being executed in a different one.

This is not such a huge problem because the files are small, but the CLocalPublishJob::DoExecute function contains a ThreadSleep(500) call, which simply blocks the server for 0.5 seconds. This every 10-30 seconds.

I have no idea why Valve did this (the sleep is called after a file is deleted and before is verified if the file still exists), but until they fix the problem you can patch the replay.so library.

Use a hex editor and search for

C7 04 24 F4 01 00 00 E8 45 EB FD FF

Replace the bytes with

90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90 90

This should fix the lag problem for Linux servers. I don't guarantee that there are no side effects

nl 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 21:41 
Community slut (13473)
Oh, while posting that, this came in;
Quote:
From: hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [mailto:hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jon Lippincott
Sent: 09 May 2011 21:31
To: Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list
Subject: [hlds_linux] Fixes

Hey all,

So we have a Linux fix in the pipe and should be rolling it out by the end of the day. This should fix the massive lag spikes for FTP offloading, and the (smaller) spikes for those running local HTTP servers.

Other fixes include:

- Fixed pruning of stale replay data
- Renaming failing for those using the local HTTP mode. If you are serving replay data on a different volume, the rename will fail silently and the game will explicitly copy & delete the file.

-Jon

gb 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 22:59 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (134)
Server is still having lag spikes over the few hours I have been playing.

Also did the reservation slot always used to work how it does know? I used to be able to Auto Queue when the server is full but that is no longer possible because the server was set at 23 players with the 23rd slot being reserved?

se 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 23:37 
Mclusky wrote:
Server is still having lag spikes over the few hours I have been playing.

Also did the reservation slot always used to work how it does know? I used to be able to Auto Queue when the server is full but that is no longer possible because the server was set at 23 players with the 23rd slot being reserved?
This is an issue with having replays enabled, the 24th slot is being used by "replay"... Seen it on many servers

gb 
PostPosted: 09 May 2011, 23:39 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (134)
Yeah I spotted it hanging in spectator when I managed to get back on.

de 
PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 01:25 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Its not as bad as the average SpA lag season for me.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 08:42 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
Optional updates to Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch are now available. Please run hldsupdatetool to receive the updates. The specific changes include:

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
- Fixed a client crash in the material system.

Team Fortress 2
- Replay publishing system will try to do a rename for local HTTP mode but will manually copy and delete the file if the rename fails, which can happen if the source and destination are on different volumes.
- Fixed threading issues on Linux, which was causing major lag spikes.
- Fixed replay data cleanup system, which cleans up stale data at the end of each round. This asynchronous operation can be explicitly invoked by executing a replay_docleanup command on the server.
- Removed unused convar, replay_cleanup_time.
- Saxxy fanfare music wasn't playing on music channel. Music will only play once per launch now and will not play on a changelevel.
Quote:
From: hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Jon Lippincott [jonl@valvesoftware.com]
Sent: 10 May 2011 05:00
To: 'Half-Life dedicated Linux server mailing list'
Subject: Re: [hlds_linux] Fixes

We've got a bug after today's update where the Replay cleanup operation that takes place in between rounds can lock up the server. We have a fix and will be shipping a patch tomorrow.

-Jon