It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:55

All times are UTC+01:00

ee 
 Post subject: The Vanilla Servers
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 14:54 
Likes to type... (233)
They're all full! :4
Awesome. :)

I'm guessing SpA servers haven't seen such an increase in activity for a long time? Making the game F2P might've been the best step they could make?

Anyway, just wanted to say it's pretty cool the new people can easily play in SpA now. :)

Does this increase the needed monthly donations too? Or it doesn't matter?

gb 
 Post subject: Re: The Vanilla Servers
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:17 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Monthly donations are always still welcome :)

I'm really thankfull for the F2P and new vanilla servers, the last year has been a constant struggle to keep the 1 server going and keeping people interested, and now its just such a reward to have 8 fucking full servers and people enjoying a still very awesome game!

be 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:19 
Doesn't get out much (335)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:

I'm really thankfull for the F2P and new vanilla servers, the last year has been a constant struggle to keep the 1 server going and keeping people interested, and now its just such a reward to have 8 fucking full servers and people enjoying a still very awesome game!
It's awesome, BUT I CANT GET IN THE SERVERS ;_; (sadpinky)

jakezasnake1 wrote:
i got angry so i made a penis

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:21 
Has no REAL life! (2546)
Pinky wrote:

Buy.a.reserved.slot.you.penishoofd!

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:23 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
noob pinky

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:28 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]futari wrote:
Pinky wrote:

Buy.a.reserved.slot.you.penishoofd!
Lol

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 15:55 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
They're all full! :4
Awesome. :)

I'm guessing SpA servers haven't seen such an increase in activity for a long time? Making the game F2P might've been the best step they could make?

Anyway, just wanted to say it's pretty cool the new people can easily play in SpA now. :)

Does this increase the needed monthly donations too? Or it doesn't matter?
Extra players require extra bandwidth, so it does cost some extra money.

The most money however is required to upgrade our hardware, which is nearing it's 3 years of age. If TF2 remains popular like it is now in let's say a month, we'll put another machine in the datacenter to launch even more servers, or to make space for new games. We still have hardware for this machine, however if we fully want to upgrade our entire environment we're looking at a small sum of around 2500,- euros.

So keep those donations coming, and we'll keep the servers & fun coming!

ee 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:34 
Likes to type... (233)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

The most money however is required to upgrade our hardware, which is nearing it's 3 years of age. If TF2 remains popular like it is now in let's say a month, we'll put another machine in the datacenter to launch even more servers, or to make space for new games. We still have hardware for this machine, however if we fully want to upgrade our entire environment we're looking at a small sum of around 2500,- euros.

Text ads in servers probably wouldn't help much? I'm just curious, is there any kind of service that puts image ads on map walls in the server? Like real life outdoor print advetising, but inside the game somehow, on map walls as posters. I'm sure it's possible, but has this been done already? Each server sees hundreds of people a day, couldn't it be used for our advantage by selling ads somehow? If not, would there be a point in developing such a service? Game Ads or whatever? :)

Not that I'd like to see the place cluttered with ads. :D

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:35 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Text ads in servers probably wouldn't help much? I'm just curious, is there any kind of service that puts image ads on map walls in the server? Like real life outdoor print advetising, but inside the game somehow, on map walls as posters. I'm sure it's possible, but has this been done already? Each server sees hundreds of people a day, couldn't it be used for our advantage by selling ads somehow? If not, would there be a point in developing such a service? Game Ads or whatever? :)

Ingame advertising has been forbidden by VALVe and is not an option unfortunately.

ee 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:38 
Likes to type... (233)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Ingame advertising has been forbidden by VALVe and is not an option unfortunately.
Ooh, interesting. Thanks! :)

ro 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:39 
Geek (736)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Yes, but sprays are allowed ;)

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:50 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
matude wrote:

Yes and no. You can't advertise the latest energy drink etc, but you can put up new geometry billboards, for example on the hampshire heavy servers they have a billboard inside the spawn room which has links to the forums and other information on them, but that however requires someone to produce the art asset and code the thing, not to mention it technically is a map mod and requires you to download something before each map loads.

Spray's is a good idea, or we could make our server adds in the spam box more eye catching, using capitals and **** for example :D

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:54 
Community slut (13473)
Correction then....

Advertising for money is not permitted ingame...

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:55 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Correction then....

Advertising for profit is not permitted ingame...
Correction again :wink:

^^

We did a game once for the national guard in america, the whole game was free, but equally the whole game was one big billboard.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 18:58 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Correction then....

Advertising for profit is not permitted ingame...
Correction again :wink:

^^

We did a game once for the national guard in america, the whole game was free, but equally the whole game was one big billboard.
Where does it say that? To my best knowledge it's not permitted at all to advertise for money (discussion following after a CS clan got warned by VALVe after making a deal with Subways)

ee 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:00 
Likes to type... (233)
Hmm, okay so no in-game adverting :( I already came up with some great ideas how to get players to join our service, download a script that automatically changes their sprays to ads etc..

Okay, so we need more people to come to the forum from the servers? In which case maybe the first spam message a player sees by the server should be a bit more visible? Something like:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Join our forum and get a reserved slot in our servers, you never have to wait again! |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

:ugly:

This thread got derailed again, but with all these new people in the vanilla servers we should probably try to funnel all this activity into the forum/website side too.

What about sprays that tell people to come join our forums? That should be okay right? Maybe it would be a good idea for some SpA members to change their sprays into meta-ads about the website. :)

Last edited by matude on 29 Jun 2011, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:02 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
Hmm, okay so no in-game adverting :( I already came up with some great ideas how to get players to join our service, download a script that automatically changes their sprays to ads etc..

Okay, so we need more people to come to the forum from the servers? In which case maybe the first spam message a player sees by the server should be a bit more visible? Something like:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Join our forum and get a reserved slot in our servers, you never have to wait again! |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

:ugly:
Oh now there's an idea. I think we should be able to make something display to people without spa points, mid screen right after joining the server....

Or at least, theoretically it should be possible.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:06 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
I meant advertising for donations is asking for money, but it's not for our pockets or commercial sponsorship ^^

that is a great idea, because some people do still have to wait so getting them to sign up would be awesome! using ** and --- stuff does really help break up the spam text box and help messages catch the eye better, the green colour stands out alot too! the red's and blues seem to get lost amongst normal game text.

ee 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:19 
Likes to type... (233)
that is a great idea, because some people do still have to wait so getting them to sign up would be awesome! using ** and --- stuff does really help break up the spam text box and help messages catch the eye better, the green colour stands out alot too! the red's and blues seem to get lost amongst normal game text.
Also, only non-members could see the ads, I'm assuming there's a way to separate the forum users from other players, because of spapoints and all that. So In essence we could cheerfully spam them without ruining anything for us. :mrgreen:

nl 
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:21 
Community slut (13473)
matude wrote:
Also, only non-members could see the ads, I'm assuming there's a way to separate the forum users from other players, because of spapoints and all that. So In essence we could cheerfully spam them without ruining anything for us. :mrgreen:

Thinking of that.... We can already do that, lol :mrgreen:

(Mumbles something about a flag in the adverts plugin allowing adverts only to be shown to people without a SpA points account)