Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:07

All times are UTC+02:00

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 13:27 
Community slut (13473)
We're temporary blocking the weapons introduced in the starwars update due to the insane amount of server crashes we're having.

All Linux servers are experiencing these crashes and last nights attempt by VALVe on fixing it has failed.

Once VALVe fixes things we'll remove the block.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 13:40 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Thats the actual name of the update?

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 13:43 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]gibboss28 wrote:
Thats the actual name of the update?
Not sure, that's how we refer to it on the mailing list

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:17 
Likes to type... (279)
I was wondering if they were responsible for all the crashes, does it seem any more stable now?

And im begining to wonder if there are engi and pyro weapons in the other 2 rockets but valve are keeping them seperate since it would kill just about every server at once if they were released at the same time.

Last edited by [SpA]WildBlaze on 23 Jul 2011, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:18 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
not my mutton chops :<

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:20 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
i need my mutton chops ;(

I'm glad though, those weapons annoy me!

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:22 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
lol i just like watching people miss so much with them haha

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:22 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]WildBlaze wrote:
I was wondering if they were responsible for all the crashes, does it seem any more stable now?

And im begining to wonder if there are engi and pyro weapons in the other 2 rockets but valve are keeping them seperate since it would kill just about every server at once if they were released at the same time.
I currently see no servers on goldrush, so that means for the first time they've all been able to get past the first map without crashing already.

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 14:24 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
hehe played so much goldrush last night it was crazy ^^

Good idea blocking these weapons for now :)

Thanks techteam :5:

de 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 15:42 
Geek (630)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
An even better idea would be to block that space weapon shit forever. :)

nl 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 16:29 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Dunken wrote:
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
An even better idea would be to block that space weapon shit forever. :)
That was what I was thinking as well :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2011, 20:58 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
hehe im not complaining that they are banned ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 11:20 
Hmm, maybe not Illiterate (24)
Back from the dead.
I've been playing on the SpA servers for a few years now. Good to see that all is still going so well.
Personally I was so happy to not have lazers all in my face this weekend.

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 11:24 
Community slut (13473)
rizl0r wrote:
Back from the dead.
I've been playing on the SpA servers for a few years now. Good to see that all is still going so well.
Personally I was so happy to not have lazers all in my face this weekend.
Welcome back 8)

So are a lot of us. The big question is; Will VALVe change anything in the weapons, and if not, will anna ban them permanently? *drums* 8)

nl 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 23:23 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
From: hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com [hlds_linux-bounces@list.valvesoftware.com] On Behalf Of Fletcher Dunn [fletcherd@valvesoftware.com]
Sent: 25 July 2011 22:15
To: 'hlds_linux@list.valvesoftware.com'; 'hlds@list.valvesoftware.com'
Subject: [hlds_linux] TF2 crashes

Hey guys,

A status update on the crashes. I have identified what I think are 3 different problems.

1.) There's a bug in the replay system due to a flaw in libcurl using a signal to handle DNS timeout. You can avoid this bug by using IP addresses in your replay config, rather than DNS names. We will have a software workaround in the next update or so that essentially does this same thing automatically.

2.) There's a random memory scribble. It will manifest itself as "double free" or "memory corruption" crash, depending on your OS. Some have theorized than this is due to the Dr. G weapons. We cannot confirm this.

3.) There is a hang. From what information I have gathered, the last thing in the log is something along the lines of "PreMinidumpCallback: updating dump comment." In other words, it is hanging while attempting to report the crash. This is particularly disastrous because it not only will it interfere with auto-restart scripts (unless you have some sort of watchdog), but it prevents the crash report from being generated and submitted, which of course would help us fix it.

A random memory scribble can cause all sorts of behaviour, so it's possible that #2 is the real bug, and #3 just a side effect that sometimes attends the main bug.

We have not been able to reproduce any of these issues internally, and we have had several playtests. (We, the actual developers, not a separate QA department and not a group of interns, playtest the game every day, on Windows and Linux servers.) However, our dedicated servers have experienced the hang.

It has been very difficult to track down and fix these crashes because we seem to have several regressed all at once, and at least one of the problems is interfering with the normal reporting mechanism. If anyone is able to save a dump file (they usually go to /tmp/dumps), I would be great if you could post them in some webspace and post a URL where they may be downloaded. Or, if your console log shows that it was uploaded, please post the report ID. The output will look something like this:

PreMinidumpCallback: updating dump comment
Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
/tmp/dumps/crash_20110723191817_1.dmp
success = yes
response: CrashID=bp-445d6055-e9e7-420a-93b8-688a92110723

Grabs of GDB stack traces, etc with raw addresses, are not totally useless, but they are definitely much less useful. Even with symbols, a stack trace does not have as much data as a dump has. So if we could get some actual dumps, that would be really great.

These crashes continue to be our top priority.

- Fletch

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011, 23:38 
The one and only (619)
All Linux Servers? If the server is hosted on Windows is it ok?

dk 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 00:46 
Likes to type... (290)
ZEnergy wrote:
All Linux Servers? If the server is hosted on Windows is it ok?
blablablabla nothing hosting on win is OK! GOT THAT MATE!

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 16:36 
Likes to type... (250)
Annarack please keep the star wars lazer guns banned at all times!!!!!!!!!

:4 Scouse :4

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 17:12 
The one and only (619)
Whilst your at it ban all backburners and brass beasts ¬¬

de 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 17:56 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
I want a Star Wars server then. :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 18:28 
The one and only (619)
Oh God Yes!! Everyone gets given starwars weapons xD

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 18:42 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
I don't get why these guns get so much hate...

y'know..other than the fact that they've managed to cause a fuck up in the servers :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 19:57 
The one and only (619)
though im pretty sure there have been numerous other updates and bugs that have crashed servers.

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 08:41 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
We are still working nonstop on the linux server crash. We found and fixed several other problems in the process. I don't believe any of them are the cause(s) of the crash(es) that have been going on since the 22nd.

- Fletch

de 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 09:08 
Geek (856)
Well we are blocking the weapons and still get crashes. So we can lift the block anyway.

I am totally against a general banning of certain weapons. If we go down this path we have to ban every weapon (including the stock ones) because anyone will have an argument against anything.

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 09:32 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Voegelchen wrote:
Well we are blocking the weapons and still get crashes. So we can lift the block anyway.

I am totally against a general banning of certain weapons. If we go down this path we have to ban every weapon (including the stock ones) because anyone will have an argument against anything.
Weapons enabled: Multiple crashes per hour
Weapons disabled: Crashes quite rare

The weapons are banned from a tech point of view, almost the entire Linux server host scene has the weapons disabled due to this.

A few crash bugs have been fixed last night, however as confirmed by VALVe, the major crashes aren't identified yet.

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 12:47 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Until Valve fix the bugs with the new weapons, they stay off. With all the recent updates crashing every TF2 server in the whole world; even the Valve ones, there is no point allowing another buggy weapon update.

The trouble is, unless the previous bugs are fixed then they will forever have a knock on effect to new bugs that are probably not even bugs in the first place.

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 15:52 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Yeah crashes are a lot more rare now the weapons are banned, complaints have been few, no one was too fussed about it.

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 15:53 
Community slut (13473)
Apparently the windows platform is also affected by the crashes.

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2011, 18:10 
Community slut (13473)
Quote:
Still working nonstop on figuring out the crashes.

>Infinite origin from vphysics! (entity tf_ammo_pack)
>PreMinidumpCallback: updating dump comment
>Uploading dump (in-process) [proxy '']
>/tmp/dumps/crash_20110727000911_1.dmp
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This is a great clue. Coincides perfectly with a gcc-specific problem I found in the mantreads code yesterday that could produce behaviour exactly like this. And it's also the most reasonable explanation as to why the crashes would be specific to particular weapons. I am hopeful.

We are going to have an optional update this morning for a Mac problem. It probably won't contain any server fixes.

I hope to have some good news for you soon.

- Fletch