Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:49

All times are UTC+01:00

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 21:35 
Hmm, maybe not Illiterate (22)
I've never played TF2, just bought it and it's downloading now. Any tips in what to do? Like good map spots and what's the best game type. That could just be your opinion, but from a noob point of view what do I need to do to be good? Thanks :)

[22:06] <@FBB2> Fehzor: Seriously, I need sex, If i dont, I DIE!

nl 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 21:39 
Community slut (13473)
Easiest is to start out with 1 class and stick for it for a while till you get the idea of the game and maps a bit. Personally i'd advise starting out as a pyro i think.

gb 
PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 21:44 
Hmm, maybe not Illiterate (22)
Ok, thanks :) I'll have a look at the class guide for that

[22:06] <@FBB2> Fehzor: Seriously, I need sex, If i dont, I DIE!

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 00:02 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
there are plenty of good guides on the tf2 wiki and net in general.
the spa site has guides too, but they are not up to date, and there isnt one for pyro currently.
http://www.specialattack.net/content/guides-and-how-tos

As saint said, best advantage you can have playing this game is knowing the map layouts, health pack locations and choke points etc.

de 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 00:09 
Geek (856)
You should first play a damage dealing class like the pyro or soldier for the first few hours. This will give you a good overview about the game in general and how it feels.
After that I recommend the medic. You don't die too fast and your healing gun is healing automatically. So you got plenty of time to just watch the other classes and what they do.

And after you know each class by observing them you just try out on your own which fits your needs the best :)

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 00:51 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
don't go spy or sniper. :mrgreen: har har

be 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 01:01 
Has no REAL life! (1254)
It's important that you get to know the maps very well, get familiar with them and all the paths that are available. After a while you can sort of predict where people will be so you can take advantage of that as certain classes.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 01:13 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
When I first started to play I was advised to play the Medic, mostly to get to know the maps. Once I got to know the maps I could then try other classes. Have a bash at all of them, it's good to have a variety of skills in this game allowing you to swop classes if needed to make your team stronger.

I also found the 'Guides and How-To's' very useful to help me understand each class.

Good luck and have fun :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 01:17 
Likes to type... (279)
I wouldn't particularly recommend pyro for a beginner at the minute, hes very dependant on his unlocks, especially the degreaser and axtinguisher. I've got a spare axtinguisher if you are interested in pyro.

Heavy is a pretty good class out the box, though he can be a little frustrating on some of the bigger maps due to his slow speed. The G.R.U really helps with this once you've got one.

Medic is a fairly decent class to play since he can observe other players quite a bit more than the other classes since the medic gun locks onto the target.

spy might be a little difficult for a new player, as might sniper, though if you've played any other fps before sniper probably wouldn't be too bad. Though do note that most people don't like too many snipers and spies on a team, especially on the attacking team, so please try to keep that on mind. Though if one of them do become your favorite class don't worry about it too much and just have fun.

I've got a few spare unlocks if you don't have many, feel free to add me on steam and send a message to me the next time the 2 of us are online, I'll be happy to give you some. Though I'd recommend sticking to some of the default weapons for most classes till you have a better idea about how the classes work, though some weapons are pretty much instant upgrades that you'll probably want as soon as possible. The degreaser and axtinguisher for pyro, a new medic melee, equaliser for soldier and the G.R.U for heavy are probably the best examples right now.

Hope this helps and welcome to the game :18

Last edited by [SpA]WildBlaze on 28 Feb 2011, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 01:30 
Geek (943)
Admittedly, I've played before, and I played a lot of other FPS's, but my number three classes are Sniper, Scout, and Pyro. Pyro's definitely the easiest, in terms of you don't rely on luck at all, and the skill requirements are decent. You can counter the soldiers/demos that tend to be the quick death of Scouts (and Snipers) with airblast, which is actually a lot easier than it looks after a little practice.

I have the most kills/life as Sniper, most fun as Scout, and most time/life as Pyro (well, it might just seem longer, but I usually get in a kill or so). And this is without familiarity on most of the maps, and only passing strategy (as in I pass it by as I run past it).

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 02:19 
Geek (638)
I'd actually have to say that engineer is one of the best begging classes if you actually want to succeed for your team, as they'll give you... constructive criticism (BUILD A FUCKING TELE!!!). Also, try spectating people, it really does help to observe what they do and try to replicate it.

And I'd agree with wildblaze, pyro is a hard class to play as, he requires a ton of quick thinking, good unlocks (the fire axe is most definitely not a side grade), and he requires you to know whats what so you can airblast it all. Of course, if you get a backburner, you can use that to make it a bit more beginner friendly.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 02:26 
Geek (943)
I don't use any pyro unlocks other than the flare gun, and I do fine.

Second, Engineer is a bad class, because you have the spy issue (#1 Backstabbing Victim medal, anyone?), so you get shanked like you dropped the soap and sapped like a pine tree. They're also really easy to over-extend with, and sniper-vulnerable.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 02:48 
Geek (638)
prototypedesign wrote:
I don't use any pyro unlocks other than the flare gun, and I do fine.

Second, Engineer is a bad class, because you have the spy issue (#1 Backstabbing Victim medal, anyone?), so you get shanked like you dropped the soap and sapped like a pine tree. They're also really easy to over-extend with, and sniper-vulnerable.
Heavy gets backstabbed more often IMO... as I play spy :D And all the classes but spy and scout are sniper vulnerable.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 02:51 
Geek (943)
Scout is uber-sniper vulnerable. It doesn't have to be a headshot, you can kill them by shooting them in the little toe as a sniper.

Plus, yeah, other classes get backstabbed more. But as Engineer, you're more likely to have it be the only thing to happen that life.

[08:12]**Respawns**
[08:45]**Arrives at battle**
[08:47]**Deploys Sentry, Dispenser**
[08:47-09:12]**Waits, maintaining Sentry and Dispenser**
[09:12]**Sentry Sapped**
[09:13]**Backstabbed**
[09:14]**Dispenser Sapped**
[09:15]**Respawns**
lather, rinse, repeat

Ok, sometimes he's not backstabbed, but rather uber-heavymedic'd.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 03:09 
Has no REAL life! (1295)
Actually, one thing I did after I bought the game was watched some "pro" matches on youtube. I think it helps you understand what it's like to work as a team, and what you should do in general. You can also focus on certain classes and how they should be played.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 04:35 
Geek (943)
True. A lot of the time, it's not what you play, but how you play. Snipers won't do well if you do balls to the walls rushes, even though they do have a SMG and kukri, they'll be mercilessly slaughtered when trying to use them.

de 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 07:37 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Tell one of your friends to heal you for a round and play soldier. 300 health with overheal and splash damage from your rocket launcher will help you survive.

And just follow the signs on the walls, then you should not get lost too much.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 10:04 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
I wouldnt recommend engy as a beginner, purely because a) you wont get to learn the whole map, and b) in not knowing the whole map, you wont know any good spots for sentry guns and teleporters.... c) you will be a spies we dream.

Go as a medic, solly and you will be able to help your team out better than a support class for the time being, and in doing so get to see how the enemy team engies work, and where they have put their sentry guns, and you can copy this when you try engy.
prototypedesign wrote:
True. A lot of the time, it's not what you play, but how you play. Snipers won't do well if you do balls to the walls rushes, even though they do have a SMG and kukri, they'll be mercilessly slaughtered when trying to use them.
Come try that shit with me sunshine. 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 12:05 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
tho they're probably pretty overwhelming at first, don't worry about unlocks, the game is just as much fun with a vanilla loadout. also, i'd stay away from heavy atm, mostly because it's too damn easy :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 15:15 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I'd say it's deffinetly best to start off as soldier, if you don't know how to play pyro you just end up running into a storm of bullets where the worst you'll do is light a spies ciggy.

I'm still fairly new to it myself, but before I played it, I looked up some class tutorials, which were a great help.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 15:19 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
recent tf2 update now has bot training etc too

or, shadow me in game ;) join the Balls Dojo.

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 16:59 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
Yeh, he likes em young and inexperienced :)

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 17:23 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]CrackHead wrote:
Yeh, he likes em young and inexperienced :)
who's been talking :shock:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 18:04 
Has no REAL life! (5288)

Recent(ish) soldier tutorial by a competitive player called fragga, might be a bit confusing in some parts, but can be useful in others. I haven't actually watched it but I heard it was pretty good. Might be too much information to take in without knowing the game very well.

Soldier is pretty easy to pick up and do some damage with.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 18:07 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
fragga's vid is really in-depth 6vs6 competitive stuff. it might interest you in the class but i don't think it'll help much for getting started in pub play :<

that said, solly is still a great place to start :4

se 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 19:16 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
Tbh, for starters EvilDaedalus' TF2 tutorials are the best ones. By miles.
These are outdated and don't include new unlocks, and some properties of weapons changed (most importantly Pyro's airblast), but these still cover the basics very well and I recommend them to anyone starting out with TF2 on public servers.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 23:06 
Geek (943)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
prototypedesign wrote:
Come try that shit with me sunshine. 8)
Balls, if I were a heavy, you could probably rape me as a scout while standing still at perfect minigun distance.

Also, the bot training wasn't that recent, it was round like months ago when I played my final round before becoming addicted to Minecraft.

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 00:51 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
i think taking down heavies as scout is one of my favourite and most rewarding part of the game :)

us 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 01:24 
Geek (943)
I did it to my bro while he was on.

at 
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 09:17 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
I don't know what's such a big deal about killing a Heavy as Scout. Just gotta play it really cheap. Come from behind, hit twice (hooray for fat heavy hitbox :D), run. Rinse and repeat. It's all in the video I posted 8) Scout in my opinion is tied with Demoman for best class, it depends on the amount of players on the server.

Killing a Heavy attached to a medic on the other hand... I know it's best to just kill the medic and leave the heavy be, but sometimes I still attempt to kill the Heavy for a challenge ;)