Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:46

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: Server settings swapped
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:06 
Community slut (13473)
Server 1 is now with crits enabled, server 2 is without crits.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:23 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Ok - this is obviously as the result of a particular SpA member bending your ear after they had a tizzy on the server.

Gotta ask though: why? No one likes crits. No one. Everyone will now just play on Server 2 making this an exercise in futility.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:30 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I completely disagree with this. Server #1 was built up as a non kritz server. Everyone that goes on server #1 knows this therefore that is why they are there. By changing it like this you will end up losing players. Server #1 is always full because they know that kritz is not on.

People have spend a lot of time building up this server to become popular. By changing it to kritz like this people will get annoyed. And yes I know they can go to server #2 but that's not the point. All the hard work of making this server popular, listening to people's requests on not having kritz and we've built up a lot of good players that keep coming back and then it gets changed.

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:31 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Ok - this is obviously as the result of a particular SpA member bending your ear after they had a tizzy on the server.

Gotta ask though: why? No one likes crits. No one. Everyone will now just play on Server 2 making this an exercise in futility.
Several reasons, main one being me back in control of SpA.

I want our main server to be as default as possible. The 'sub' servers will act as customs.

External input got me to rethink the server setup.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:31 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
I completely disagree with this. Server #1 was built up as a non kritz server. Everyone that goes on server #1 knows this therefore that is why they are there. By changing it like this you will end up losing players. Server #1 is always full because they know that kritz is not on.

People have spend a lot of time building up this server to become popular. By changing it to kritz like this people will get annoyed. And yes I know they can go to server #2 but that's not the point. All the hard work of making this server popular, listening to people's requests on not having kritz and we've built up a lot of good players that keep coming back and then it gets changed.

This - particularly when it is being changed on the whim of one, single player...

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:39 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
eh, I guess I'll be playing on server 2 then.

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 17:04 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]annarack wrote:

This - particularly when it is being changed on the whim of one, single player...
Just fyi, i was not aware of that discussion going on ingame, i only learned about that after i applied the changes.

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 17:32 
Community slut (13473)
I've also adjusted the naming scheme of the servers to;
  • SpecialAttack.net #1 :: All maps
    SpecialAttack.net #2 :: All maps :: No Crits
    SpecialAttack.net #3 :: Highlander
    SpecialAttack.net #4 :: ctf_bball2
    SpecialAttack.net #5 :: ctf_bball2
    SpecialAttack.net #6 :: ctf_bball2

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 17:56 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Cool - that is much clearer.

I take your point about having the main server being more default, its just a shame we had to change things around as it may confuse those looking for (or rather expecting) a no-crits game. Server 1 has been no-crits for a while now so it may take a little while for people to adjust.

Anyway, as long as we have no crits. I'll see everyone bar Frosty on Server 2 :D :18

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 18:21 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

I take your point about having the main server being more default, its just a shame we had to change things around as it may confuse those looking for (or rather expecting) a no-crits game. Server 1 has been no-crits for a while now so it may take a little while for people to adjust.

Anyway, as long as we have no crits. I'll see everyone bar Frosty on Server 2 :D :18
I've added ingame advertisements to inform people on the change.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 19:55 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

Awesome :5:

As an aside, did we ever get anywhere running a pure Melee server? People seem to really enjoy it when its available so I was just curious.

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 19:58 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Awesome :5:

As an aside, did we ever get anywhere running a pure Melee server? People seem to really enjoy it when its available so I was just curious.
I don't think we've ever tried to run a dedicated melee server. The closes we got was the presents server where we played melee. If there is enough amino we can give it a try.

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 22:20 
Geek (847)
Howerd honey plz don't target a single person like that. For example nonoice and me also prefer critz server over no critz... everyone has his own taste, hissifits set aside. I dont care what one is critz... I really dont. But server 1 has always been > then server 2 because its 1. It was more busy when it was crit and server 2 was no crit and now that it is the other way around its still the same. When its turned around again, i think it still stays the same. But whatever, shall we just not target a single person accusing him of stuff like that? :5: :5: :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 22:59 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Amyl wrote:
Howerd honey plz don't target a single person like that. For example nonoice and me also prefer critz server over no critz... everyone has his own taste, hissifits set aside. I dont care what one is critz... I really dont. But server 1 has always been > then server 2 because its 1. It was more busy when it was crit and server 2 was no crit and now that it is the other way around its still the same. When its turned around again, i think it still stays the same. But whatever, shall we just not target a single person accusing him of stuff like that? :5: :5: :5:
Well, I will "target" a single person when that person had what is tantamount to a meltdown over crits. I like Frosty well enough and this is nothing I would not say to his face ( or on chat or whatever) but the argument was asinine. I was not accusing anyone of anything - what happened happened and is not even slightly in dispute.

My point about what people are used to still stands well enough - I'm not arguing anything however as Saint has made a decision and I stand by it.

That aside, I see no evidence that S1 was more popular when it was crits; none at all. My point was that a great many people were glad that crits had gone adn I was certainly one of them. I won't be playing on S1 anymore if I can help it as I have decried random crits as being one of the most childish things that Valve ever implemented.

What more can I say? Hope to see you on S2 I guess :D

de 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 23:16 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Is Egypt back in the rotation?

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:45 
Geek (847)
Howard... I'll play with you any day, you know im fond of you. I'm also wanting to stay out of this and not burn my fingers. Maybe I should, but I also feel to strongly to shut my mouth. I just think that certain things do not need to be said like this in public in that tone... people might draw all the wrong conclusions from what you are writing. And even though you might not mean it as targetting, it really comes across like you strongly blame 1 person for it and want to share that fact with all the others. My point is merely that you do not know that the decision is made on basis of 1 persons opinion, that it's a premature and unlikely conclusion, and that it does not really matter nor change the fact by mentioning it here. In my opinion it would have been more polight to ask what the choise was based on. We don't need to turn anyone into the black sheep. So seriously in my view, if you have a beef, log into mumble and adress it, talk it out and make up like you say you have no problem doing. We dont all have to smell each others dirty laundry.

On a 2nd note. I agree with what is written above. As I have stated several times, one of the reasons for my overlong break from TF2 is that some of my favourite maps, official maps, cannot be bought with spa points. I understand that its not in the rotation if its not the most popular. But Egypt and Double Cross were often bought maps that really really did not empty the server at all. So I request yet again that these 2 maps and any other official map can be bought at least on 1 of the 2 servers. Maps that the beta team also played in matches yet could not practise on or own servers without pulling some serious admin abuse. I feel really bad if me and some others go to a different server to play those maps, whilest I'd be much rather filling up our own servers, yet I do want to play them from time to time at least.

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 00:56 
Has no REAL life! (2359)
Wow, you know that back in the day we had a no crit server and a crit server as well. Yet everyone said no crits was shit and nobody went on server 2. How times changed.

Or perhaps people just join server #1 because of the 1.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 01:18 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Amyl - wait - I think this is getting away from us. I am not blaming Frosty for the changes that have happened. Saint has explained the reasoning behind his decisions and I fully accept that. I am not casting blame on anyone for anything. The only mention I even made of Frosty was that he would obviously continue to play on S1 as he had been very vocal about his love for crits. I made a joke about it, sure,but...it was a joke, you know? :|

As to the maps I agree with you. I would like to be able to buy any official maps on at least one of the servers. I do miss some of the older maps (though I know that buying Hydro empties the server almost instantly and that makes me a sad panda) and it would be good to see them.

While we are on the subject of maps can we get a vote going about what should be in rotation at all? The new KOTH map (the Egyptian one) and that new dual cart Payload map are VERY unpopular and seem to go on forever! :cry: :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 01:24 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
The random crits are irritating, but with any luck people with start using #2 again, or better, both. Seeing as we always have one server full with a queue while the other is empty.

I haven't made my mind up on Egypt, or the dual cart one, but is there any paticular reason we don't have Freight?

us 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 04:23 
Secret Kitchen Princess (1256)
I may actually join you guys on a melee only server. :P

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 10:44 
Community slut (13473)
I've made another small adjustment after receiving some feedback.

I've swapped the server settings around again, but this time all the server settings. Meaning by name server 1 is the one with crits, and server 2 without crits, but on the IP's they where on before. So people who've only put 'old' server 1 (no crits) or server 2(crits) in their favo's will still find the servers with those settings in their favo's, just with a slight name change.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 12:24 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
JuncoPartner wrote:
The random crits are irritating, but with any luck people with start using #2 again, or better, both. Seeing as we always have one server full with a queue while the other is empty.

I haven't made my mind up on Egypt, or the dual cart one, but is there any paticular reason we don't have Freight?
Isn't freight on the available maps list? I really thought it was. Could have sworn some one bought it not that long ago...but then, I do drink a lot... :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:40 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
-removed-

at 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:47 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
-removed-
I know what you did last summer 6 minutes ago.

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:54 
Has no REAL life! (2359)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
-removed-
don't pull me into this shit.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:57 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Sorry, my first post was written in anger because I as part of a dedicated team that helped get the servers back on its feet was under appreciated and devalued, and id rather not waste any more of my time if that is the case. It's been great fun all, see you on server 2... the full one.

nl 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 16:59 
Community slut (13473)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
Sorry, my first post was written in anger because I as part of a dedicated team that helped get the servers back on its feet was under appreciated and devalued, and id rather not waste any more of my time if that is the case. It's been great fun all, see you on server 2... the full one.
Quote:
17:00:24 hostname: SpecialAttack.net #1 :: All maps
version : 1.1.3.4/15 4489 secure
udp/ip : 85.17.60.96:27035
map : cp_coldfront at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 21 (30 max)

17:00:40 hostname: SpecialAttack.net #2 :: All maps :: No Crits
udp/ip : 85.17.60.96:27025
map : cp_fastlane at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 24 (30 max)
They are both full 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 17:03 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
That is really good news, what ever happened in the last 2 days whilst i've been away must have attracted everyone back to the spa servers! woot!

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2011, 17:04 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
Quote:
17:00:24 hostname: SpecialAttack.net #1 :: All maps
udp/ip : 85.17.60.96:27035
map : cp_coldfront at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 21 (30 max)

17:00:40 hostname: SpecialAttack.net #2 :: All maps :: No Crits
udp/ip : 85.17.60.96:27025
map : cp_fastlane at: 0 x, 0 y, 0 z
players : 24 (30 max)
They are both full 8)
Yes they are :4

However that may be because I spent an hour earlier today on there on my own, PMing everyone I knew to join and talking to any new guys who showed up to explain what heppened. 8)

Still a win for SpA though :D

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 17:21 
Geek (847)
Can we now plz have the return of egypt and doublecross and the rest?