Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:02

All times are UTC+01:00

nl 
 Post subject: New server names
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 10:42 
Community slut (13473)
We've done some brainstorming this morning and we've come up with some new server names. The reason for this being is that we want to get rid of server numbers, as somehow these server numbers seem to translate in a certain status. The numbers have been bothering us for a long long time, but we never came up with a real solution for it. One primary example was back in time when we used to have 2 popular servers, servers 1 and 2, and we launched server 3, no one would use it. When we then changed it's name to server 1.5, people suddenly start using it. It seems to have a weird psychological effect on people(And mind you, me included, as I also see '1' being primary, and '2,3,4,5 etc' as secondaries).

For TF2 we(mainly anna ;) ) have come up with the following server names, inspired by TF2 character names and TF2 weapons;
Quote:
Specialattack.net :: Mister Jane Doe :: No Critz
Specialattack.net :: Dell Conagher :: default
Specialattack.net :: Tavish DeGroot :: Highlander
Specialattack.net :: Equalizer :: bball2
Specialattack.net :: Pain Train :: bball2
Specialattack.net :: Buff banner :: bball2
For each game we'll come up with an own server naming scheme based on a to be decided naming theme. Our own hardware for example is named after characters from the movie 'reservoir dogs'.

gb 
 Post subject: Re: New server names
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 11:17 
Has no REAL life! (1234)
It's a nice idea, I like it.
I Wonder if this means all the servers might fill up :D

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 11:18 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Awesome idea - should take a lot of the perceived hierarchy out of the servers - nice

pt 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 11:50 
Doesn't get out much (316)
Seems like a nice idea ;) hope we get more people in (or out of ) the community playing tf2 :P

no 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 17:56 
Nerdish, tbh. (441)
Good idea, and it seems you have a valid point. Seen this idea far back years ago on CS1.6

be 
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2011, 18:02 
Has no REAL life! (1254)
I'm loving al the changes going on recently.
Good work Saint (and all managers), we appreciate your efforts :18

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 01:57 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Yeah I think giving the servers names instead of numbers is a great idea, but I don't think these names are recognisable enough. Pain train, and Equaliser I like though, but the others aren't easy to remember. Shortstop, or Gunslinger? might be a good name over Buff Banner? Also the Demo man's name is too similar to Degrot keep.

I mean it's not a big deal, it's just the names aren't really something you can remember or reference to, then again people can always say, the no crits, and the crits server I guess.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 02:17 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
I doubt that the new names for the bball servers will have a great effect.
Most people that are playing there are competetive players, dont think they care about fancy names.
Besides that, the ones I know, that are playing there more or less regularily, have all 3 in their favs and simply join the one that has free spots.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 09:50 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
JuncoPartner wrote:
Yeah I think giving the servers names instead of numbers is a great idea, but I don't think these names are recognisable enough. Pain train, and Equaliser I like though, but the others aren't easy to remember. Shortstop, or Gunslinger? might be a good name over Buff Banner? Also the Demo man's name is too similar to Degrot keep.

I mean it's not a big deal, it's just the names aren't really something you can remember or reference to, then again people can always say, the no crits, and the crits server I guess.
makes a lot of sense, could just call them, default, no crits, and highlander.

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 10:34 
Community slut (13473)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
JuncoPartner wrote:

makes a lot of sense, could just call them, default, no crits, and highlander.
Not naming your servers brings bad luck in IT land 8)

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 10:36 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]SonnyBlack wrote:
Most people that are playing there are competetive players, dont think they care about fancy names.
Besides that, the ones I know, that are playing there more or less regularily, have all 3 in their favs and simply join the one that has free spots.
The reason for the change is not to attract more players. We simply want to get rid of numbering which would indicate a primary server. As the bball2 servers are TF2 as well, they got re-branded too.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 13:32 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]SonnyBlack wrote:
The reason for the change is not to attract more players. We simply want to get rid of numbering which would indicate a primary server. As the bball2 servers are TF2 as well, they got re-branded too.
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
When we then changed it's name to server 1.5, people suddenly start using it.
Sounds like we renamed them to make people use both servers tbh. 8)

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 13:39 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]SonnyBlack wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

[SpA]SaintK wrote:
When we then changed it's name to server 1.5, people suddenly start using it.
Sounds like we renamed them to make people use both servers tbh. 8)
You're misunderstanding it. I pointed that one out to show you how much value people seem to put in simple server numberings.

de 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:44 
Doesn't get out much (357)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Not naming your servers brings bad luck in IT land 8)
what? were are you from?
...oh right, say no more :ugly:

de 
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 00:12 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
:demm: