What to do with pl_nightfall?
Remove it from cycle 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Lower timelimit 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
Don't change anything 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes: 17
gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:31 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
I'm not saying its a particularly terrible map - there are far worse to be sure - but everyone on the server seems to hate it. Two or three times now its come up and people simply refuse to play. They stand about, dance in spawn, go spectator; anything other than play. Last time it came up (about 20 minutes before I posted this), every single person on there was asking for the map to be changed.

Clearly it is not liked and I cannot really argue. Can we get shut of it?-

nl 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:39 
Community slut (13473)
Added poll

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 19:41 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Added poll
Cheers man

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 21:06 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Not sure this is going to get the feedback you require Howard, but suggested that it is probably best to just remove the map and keep it in the spapoints menu. That's only a suggestion though.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 21:32 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
Not sure this is going to get the feedback you require Howard, but suggested that it is probably best to just remove the map and keep it in the spapoints menu. That's only a suggestion though.
Well that would be my choice, but Saint wanted to gather opinions. Problem is that the people who are here do not play TF2 and those that play TF2 don't come here so the poll will be useless :?

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 21:53 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
edited because I don't know the names of the new maps.

Last edited by [SpA]gibboss28 on 09 Mar 2011, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 22:35 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Edited due to the above edit :)

Last edited by [SpA]Howard on 10 Mar 2011, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2011, 23:07 
Crap at posting (40)
I think it has to go. The 2 times i've played this map, either the server has emptied or everyone has just moaned about it.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 00:33 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Luis wrote:
I think it has to go. The 2 times i've played this map, either the server has emptied or everyone has just moaned about it.
Bloody hell, it's Luis :shock:

de 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:03 
Has no REAL life! (3230)
DONT REMOVE IT. :(

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:23 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
I like the map personally, but as we used to do when i was a tf2 games manager we would make sure the rotation was vanilla to maintain numbers (and it worked) and make sure maps which had a divided opinion were kept for spapoints purchasing only. Also the benefit of a small rotation means, that there is more spapoints being used which is good for special attack.

I do like the map, but it just cleared out the server again. Don't worry Sonny it will still be on spapoints, and ill buy it for you. But you are also the demographic who rarely play on the server, and we should be catering for the whole not the minority.

Then again, that's just my opinion, do what ever you want.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:29 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Yeah, perhaps this should have been better worded to make it clear that we are talking aobut taking it out of rotation, not removing it all together. It is quite a fun map when everyone gets into it: it turns into a right bloodbath :) Thing is that if so many community members dislike it and and if you consider that you have to play so many goddam rounds, it is definitely better being removed and reserved for purchasing with SpA points.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:34 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Yeah, perhaps this should have been better worded to make it clear that we are talking aobut taking it out of rotation, not removing it all together. It is quite a fun map when everyone gets into it: it turns into a right bloodbath :) Thing is that if so many community members dislike it and and if you consider that you have to play so many goddam rounds, it is definitely better being removed and reserved for purchasing with SpA points.
The current line up in the rotation has no KOTH maps, and for good reason, as the rotation was designed to be more visible in casual player searches (i.e. normally searching by popular map etc) I LOVE Koth maps, don't get me wrong but when it came to refilling the servers a while back and maintaining that all this time until now when they are healthy again, the trend was to test out new maps for a week or so, then remove them if they were unpopular and presented negative feedback from the regulars and community players; which i would note as well as monitor declining player numbers for those rounds.

Though i'm not sure that's how things work now since I left.

Last edited by ProtectMyBalls on 09 Mar 2011, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:36 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I think Nightfall the new cart race thing is too long, it does a round on each map, and then does it all over again. It's like doing every map on dustbowl twice.

Not sure about Lakeside yet, it's fun if when you're defending the point, but it's abit tedious attacking it. I think I'll have to give it a few more goes, I use to hate coldfront, but it's one of my favourites now.

ee 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:44 
Likes to type... (233)
Maybe keep it as one round only? A quickie. Like an intermission to other longer maps, a really fast crazy fun spamfest.

And add the longer (3 round wins or whatever it is atm?) to the shop so people who like it can buy the longer version.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:45 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
hey matude! welcome to the forums! :D

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:53 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
matude wrote:
Maybe keep it as one round only? A quickie. Like an intermission to other longer maps, a really fast crazy fun spamfest.

And add the longer (3 round wins or whatever it is atm?) to the shop so people who like it can buy the longer version.
Yeah I like the sound of that, a quick game wont drive away players either, oh and welcome to the forum Matude :18

backstabbingsonofafuckingcuntwhoereatewFBjuv

ee 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 01:56 
Likes to type... (233)
Offtopic Balls!1 :evil: :D nah

Hey :5: glad to be here, been lurking around for a week or two, finally took the courage to jump into a conversation.
Browsed through the whole thread about how you all look as well, the creepy stalked that I am. :D You people are a weird bunch, I think I like that.

E:

Hey Junco! :) Thanks.

Exactly, it's actually quite a fun map when the server is full and everybody is active, but it gets tedious very quick. So why not use it to our advantage by making the fastness into a speciality (*lifts a monocle*).

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 10:15 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Matude, you should post a Welcome/Who are you message in our who are you section :) :5:

de 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:04 
Crap at posting (25)
I see no problem with Lakeside being in the mappool when Steel is also in the mappool. Best time to join the server in the primetime is when Steel is on ;)

PS: Somehow remembered my forum account. Actually registered almost two years ago.
First post after two years - Hell yeah.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:05 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
hehe, hey wuffy, welcome back to the forums :wink: :5: hope to see you on the server tonite mate!

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:06 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
hehe, hey wuffy, welcome back to the forums :wink: :5: hope to see you on the server tonite mate!
I'm almost happy with all maps imo. I don't mind what map i play on, always find a class to suit the occasion and have fun none-the-less! :5:

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:10 
Community slut (13473)
Would it be an idea to lower the timelimit of the koth map, or will that cause too many quick mapchanges?

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:11 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Would it be an idea to lower the timelimit of the koth map, or will that cause too many quick mapchanges?
Sounds like a good idea, would keep it short and sweet. Is there currently a set amount of wins a team can have before it changes too?

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:30 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]gibboss28 wrote:
I'm gonna vote yes but to be honest I like it more so than the other payload races. because it usually goes pretty quick...which to me is the whole point of a race, none of that stalemate bs :D

But then again i guess its another map that has a good idea just really shit execution.
Errr...? Lakeside is the Egyptian themed KOTH map, Not the dual cart map.
Oh.

...Well I was half asleep, that was my excuse.

Well good thing I voted yes then

Its like a UT map...

...without the 2 other control points

...and without the fun.

nl 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:46 
Community slut (13473)
ProtectMyBalls wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Sounds like a good idea, would keep it short and sweet. Is there currently a set amount of wins a team can have before it changes too?
That figures. The map never got it's own cfg file when it was added on the server.

I'll add the maps cfg file which points to these settings;
Quote:
//Config for King of the Hill Maps (like koth_nucleus)
echo "Executing wc_ctf.cfg"

mp_windifference 3
mp_timelimit 15

// Class limiter settings
sm_classrestrict_blu_engineers 3
sm_classrestrict_red_engineers 3

sm_classrestrict_red_engineers_locked 0
sm_classrestrict_blu_engineers_locked 0

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:50 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Sounds good!

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:18 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Matude, Luis Wuffy - thank you for registering and getting involved in this decision. it really is much appreciated. The more voices we hear from the community the better. :5:

Gibboss: yeah, I thought it was you who first made the UT comparison and you are absolutely correct. :mrgreen:

Saint - limiting (drastically! :lol: ) the time on those 2 maps will definitely help but they will still empty out the servers rather badly. As balls says, KOTH maps are just not liked and very, very few Payload ones are liked either. Its a risky thing leaving them in, IMHO, but I am more than willing to give it a try.

A final point (and this may need its own topic): Frontier. This is an excellent map that I have been playing for a long time now (on other servers) but now it has gone official there are a lot of issues with it. The amount of lag that the map generates is amazing. Playing it last night, every single person commented on it and they were not just reporting brief hitches like the other maps, but constant, debilitating issues that were actually preventing play. Furthermore I am certain I have not played a round were at least one person gets stuck in some scenery or other. Last night it was in fact Crackhead who got wedged and the only way out was to slay himself. Even further more I am seeing some really odd bugs in there including un-killable players (last night a spy walked casually in front of an L3 sentry, a demoman and a heavy - all of whom fired at him for a solid 4 seconds - without taking a single point of damage), people falling through the map and even turning up at the wrong spawn point. On top of that there is a huge map flaw at the start of the game whereby a player on the defending team can in fact ride Lil' Choo Choo back into the enemy base and reap merry hell by spawn killing everyone before they have a chance to react.

Point it that I think its a superb map but right now it is very, very broken and that is something of which we need to be aware.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:25 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Matude, Luis Wuffy - thank you for registering and getting involved in this decision. it really is much appreciated. The more voices we hear from the community the better. :5:

Gibboss: yeah, I thought it was you who first made the UT comparison and you are absolutely correct. :mrgreen:
Nah, Kaos said it before I did, heh.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 13:30 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Well i didn't say Koth maps weren't liked, just that they are not super popular with the masses, and its worth just having them in the spapoints menu as fun things to break up the vanilla map rotation. I personally love koth maps, (i mean, its the simplest of team objectives that everyone can understand lol). Viaduct is one of my favourite maps.

It would be worthwhile monitoring how the server reacts to the map having a shorter time frame that Saint has implemented, then reporting back with the findings to whether or not it is beneficial to have in rotation.

I love frontier, especially because it has steep inclines which I find really interesting and very different to very flat maps like granary and dustbowl etc; hopefully if these bugs are known by valve they will be fixed with the next update. But I have noticed these issues as well, could do with having its own thread, and perhaps another poll if that information is beneficial, but ultimately the only thing I see that can be done is to review its position in the rotation for the time being till these issue have been addressed by the developer.