Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:26

All times are UTC+01:00

de 
 Post subject: Undertale
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 16:35 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
I find it kinda sad so few SpA people on my friendslist played Undertale yet, so I thought I make a little post here! :18

First for the people living under a rock some quick infos:

Undertale is an indie game released by Toby Fox, who previously worked on Earthbound hacks (SNES game) and Homestuck music (webcomic).

Welcome to UNDERTALE. In this RPG, you control a human who falls underground into the world of monsters. Now you must find your way out... or stay trapped forever.

Killing is unnecessary: negotiate out of danger using the unique battle system.
Time your attacks for extra damage, then dodge enemy attacks in a style reminiscent of top-down shooters.
Original art and soundtrack brimming with personality.
Soulful, character-rich story with an emphasis on humor.
Created mostly by one person.
Become friends with all of the bosses!
At least 5 dogs.
You can date a skeleton.

Now dont be decieved by the graphics! They may look very simple at first, but the character sprites are well made and manage to convey emotions when it matters.
Luckily my decision to buy the game was taken from me when a friend gifted me the game, because I had my reservations as well. Though with 98% positive of almost 19k reviews on Steam, this game should be for anybody who ever played a SNES game and liked it, as there lies the games roots, or really just anybody who appreciates indie rpgs.

But what does it actually offer you? Its a bit hard to talk about it as I dont want to spoil anything.

The Story was a big part of the enjoyment for me. First I did a very normal kinda rushed playthrough though the game as I knew there are multiple endings/some decisions you can make, clocking in at about 5-6 hours. In these hours I learned a lot about the world of the monsters and their inhabitants.
With this knowledge I hopped into my second run (which was what some people accidentially or intentionally do on their first run), and immediately could not only make new connections between stuff I encountered early in the game and the knowledge from later in the game, but I also noticed small echos from my previous playthrough changing little things here and there apart from the different decisions I made during the run. As I farmed absolutly every single bit of text provided, the second run alone took somewhere around 20 hours (backtracking involved). But even more noteworthy is that it gave me access to a new area where the story takes one obvious and one hinted at turn in an unexpected direction. What I want to say is that you can discover a lot about the world or general sillyness if you want to, and then there is more stuff in this world one can only speculate about.
Currently im at 36 hours total in my third (technically fourth) run which is distinctly different from my previous runs.

Another big point apart from the general humor of the game and the top-down shooter/bullethell-ish combat system, which reinvents itself throughout the game, is the game's music. Due to spoilers I will only link the general theme of the first area here, but I like it a lot because for me it has this classic SNES RPG feel to it.

So now all I can say is that if you are somewhat interested in the game, you most likely should get it (maybe its on sale during christmas) because there is far, far more to this game than you have seen or heard (unless you spoiled yourself then boo! why would you do that? D:) . :4

Last edited by [SpA]Dekar on 12 Dec 2015, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
 Post subject: Re: Undertale
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2015, 19:37 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I do want to play this actually, will deffinetly get it during a sale.

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 00:13 
SpA Fookah (4459)
Nice graphics :?

I dunno bout you guys, but I was alive in the 90s and playing computer games. I kinda played a shit load op heavily pixelated games back then, I'm kinda looking at games that have a bit better graphics...
I do like that with this sudden rush to retro games, ppl start thinking about play-ability more instead of making a super awesome looking game that doesn't have any interesting in it except that. But , you can overdo it.

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 00:30 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
The sense of humour in this game in spot-on, I'm sure I'd love playing it although I've had some of the early parts and definitely one of the route endings spoiled. Good to know that there's more depth to it. If it's cheap in the sale I'll pick it up sale :5:
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
Nice graphics :?
(Light spoilers below:)

fi 
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2015, 01:12 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
I watched Jacksepticeye's playthrough of it. It's intredasting, but not enough to waste money on.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.