Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:36

All times are UTC+02:00

se 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2010, 19:29 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
So yeah, we (my family) got ourselves a router (Thomson TG 5858 v7) so we have WLAN at our home (had a modem only before). After setting everything up, the internet in general + WLAN works but I cannot connect to GfWL anymore. These are the error screens I get (couldn't figure out how to change the language to English, sorry :S)
Searching the internet with Google didn't help me in anyway - couldn't find anything useful at all.

I also cannot play games through GGPO (http://ggpo.net) anymore. Surprisingly, playing N64 games with the project64k emulator (similar system, if not the same) does work.

I'm a major noob at anything that has got anything to do with PCs, and moreso with networks, so anything remotely helpful for solving this issue is greatly appreciated :87

de 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 01:24 
Has no REAL life! (1669)
Try opening/forwarding Ports:
Quote:
* Die Portweiterleitung muss für TCP-Port 80 aktiviert sein.
* Die Portweiterleitung muss für TCP-Port 3074 aktiviert sein.

Router settings, somewhere at NAT or Port Forwarding.

se 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 15:41 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
There's no such setting.

de 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 16:40 
Doesn't get out much (357)
see manual page 38

nl 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 18:34 
SpA Fookah (4459)
The problem lies in the fact that everything is in german!

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 18:38 
Geek (993)
With my old router I couldn't get onto windows live, try this here test to see if your router is supported by it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/ ... fault.mspx

de 
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 08:52 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
I think you get this for playing too much SFIV. :ugly:

But yeah... check port forwarding.

at 
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 20:12 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
I ran the test Repel referred me to and this is what I got - not necessarily the best thing I could get :x Results are bold and underlined.
Quote:

Basic Internet Connectivity Test

This test is intended to ensure that your computer has basic Internet connectivity, which is needed for the rest of the tests.

A result of "Supported" indicates that your computer has basic Internet connectivity. Supported.
Network Address Translator Type

One primary function of most home Internet routers is Network Address Translation (NAT). Routers providing NAT support assign private IP addresses on the local network. NAT maps these private addresses on the inside network to a public IP address on the outside network so that computers behind the Internet router can communicate with the rest of the Internet. Since Network Address Translators can work in different ways, this test uses Microsoft servers to identify your router's NAT type. Some protocols work better through routers that act as cone-type NATs than routers that act as symmetric-type NATs.

A result of "Not supported" in this test does not impact your basic Internet connectivity. One possible reason for this result may be that your computer is connecting through an Internet router that acts as a symmetric NAT (view the detailed report to determine if this is the case). Microsoft has determined that symmetric NATs can block the traffic of programs that use IPv6 tunneling over IPv4 (see Teredo Overview for details of how this works). Failure to connect using IPv6 may cause these programs to not run or to have a degraded experience. It is also possible that the servers used to determine the NAT type are temporarily unreachable, in which case running the test again later will give a more accurate result. Not supported.
Traffic Congestion Test

Internet routers sometimes lose information that is being transferred across the Internet when they experience congestion (full router queues). This loss of information is known as packet loss. Internet protocols like the Transport Control Protocol (TCP) can use packet loss as a congestion indicator. Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism that provides routers with an alternate method of communicating network congestion. This notification effectively reduces TCP retransmissions and increases throughput. This test attempts to download a short Web document, first with ECN enabled and then again with ECN disabled. If both downloads succeed, the test passes, which indicates that your Internet router successfully allows packets through with ECN options set.

A result of "Supported" indicates that your router can work with this new Vista Feature to improve download speeds and increase endpoint connection reliability. Note You would need to explicitly enable ECN on Vista to take advantage of this feature. Supported.
TCP High Performance Test

Window scaling is a Transport Control Protocol (TCP) option introduced for addressing performance problems. Some Internet routers cause TCP data transfers that use window scaling to fail, particularly when there's a mismatch between the scales chosen by two computers transferring the data. This test downloads a series of Web documents of increasing length until either an incomplete download is encountered or all downloads succeed. Success indicates that your router allows Windows Vista to negotiate the best data transfer rate and help improve download speeds.

If window scaling is not supported, your router cannot take advantage of network performance improvements for large file transfers. However, your basic Internet connectivity should not be affected. Not supported.
UPnP Support Test

Many applications need to open ports (allow incoming traffic) through an Internet router, particularly when both communicating endpoints are behind different NATs. Modern routers allow hosts to create such open ports using Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). This test ensures that the router has UPnP enabled, can support a reasonable number of open ports, and can maintain these settings.

If this test does not succeed, experiences using certain programs may be degraded. However, your basic Internet connectivity should not be affected. Not supported.
Multiple Simultaneous Connection States Test

This test creates 80 concurrent TCP connections to external Web servers and keeps them alive over the period of two minutes by attempting continuous data download using HTTP. Passing this test indicates that your router robustly supports multiple computers or programs accessing the Internet simultaneously.

A result of "Supported" means that your Internet router can handle a large number of simultaneous connections. This will enable you to connect to the Internet reliably using multiple applications or multiple computers. Also, your experience with applications that use multiple network streams (like some file download/sharing programs) will be enhanced.