Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:57

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 23:25 
Clan leaders (1417)
Well so far I've tried Mirrors Edge, Batman, Just Cause and Dragons Age.

You might find the list a little bigger than you think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

Over a 100 and counting, with almost every single big release due to come using it since Havok is pretty much "no-more"...

de 
PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 23:33 
Geek (856)
Indeed thats a LOT more than I remember :-)

gb 
PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 23:35 
Clan leaders (1417)
Then again, PhysX will eventually go the way of Havok aswell.

I expect it'll all get incorporated in a different form into DX (12 maybe 13).

Hopefully anyway; I'd like to see uniform features between the hardware manufacturers and only the performance and price being the differences!

nl 
PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 09:10 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6888 ... d/Reviews/

This is the card im using, have had no problems at all, can play anything on highest quality.
(Empire: Total War, Witcher, dawn of war2, assasins creed 2, L4D2, Borderlands etc.)

In my Experience no ATI card has failed. And have performed very well. Or am I just lucky?

de 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 13:35 
Has no REAL life! (4162)
Don't mix up the general PhysX engine with games which really use the GPU for extra stuff like Batman. ;)

And the current 4xx cards from nvidia are just stupid energy wasters. :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 14:55 
Clan leaders (1417)
Well after those 5870's and now onto a 470, I see no difference in power usage or noise - The big advantage? A fully working PC...

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 18:39 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
The 470 is less powerful than the 4850 though, so it should have a much lower power consumption than the 4870 (which is significantly faster than both cards), also it more expensive than the 5850 last time I checked. I think you have just been unlucky, the 4xxx and 5xxx series for ATI has been amazing, this can't really be denied (I'm using a Nvidia card btw).

Last edited by [SpA]Minimoose! on 06 Jun 2010, 14:27, edited 2 times in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 11:19 
Clan leaders (1417)
Heh, you're reading very selective benchmarks if you believe the 470 is less powerful than a 4850 ?!? ATi's not-flagship-last-generation card :S You mean the 5850 surely? And actually, it depends on a) The Game b) The Drivers c) The Resolution and d) The Settings... It's actually more powerful than the 5850 so I'm kinda confused as to why you say the 4850 is faster :S

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,7434 ... ws/?page=4
There's one out of eleven benchmarks that the 5850 wins on, on most of the others the 470 is about equal with the 5870 (I mean that it's fairly balanced in how many "wins" both manufacturers get).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gef ... 585-7.html
Same story...

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/ ... sed-71053/
Take your pick from those aswell, they're all pretty much the same ;)

The 4*** and 5*** series have been excellent sellers for ATi undoubtably, but there's quite clearly a reason I swapped back to nVidia in a hurry.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 14:25 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
5850 I meant ;) There are lots of benches which put the 470 performing below/equal to it, just a question on where you look, it is of course dependant on what you bench it on. I'm talking about it without tessellation as well.

Well after looking at more reviews it is on par with the 5870, but has higher temps, higher power draw (nearer to the 5970) but its the 480 which has the noise problems not the 470. The 480 is rubbish imo, the 470 isn't bad though.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 15:21 
Clan leaders (1417)
You gotta remember nVidia were going for a MultiFunction GPU with these cards. ATi went for plain rendering power in currently used paths - nVidia were planning for the future and a more general purpose for the 4** series cards.

I like the PhysX acceleration a lot - It makes a big speed increase in some games, and I'm currently re-playing through GTA4 and then the 2 episodes; the nVidia cards walk through these games and others I'm playing; in all honestly when you're at the level of ANY of these cards (ATi or nVidia) then the extra 10% raw performance in DX9 games means nothing really. Difference between 200+ fps in a Source engined game or 210+ fps = I can't say I notice the difference ;)

I also like the implementations of CUDA I've used so far and the Adobe acceleration etc.

If you read an actual description of the hardware you'll see that nVidia had something far greater in mind than just DX9 and 10 fps for these cards; and in actual fact, hot off the press (today or yesterday I think) = ATi announcing that their next cards to come out will follow a similiar engineering "think" to nVidia's... (tesselation included). By that time nVidia will be on their second generation of this type of multi-path (G)processor.

Having experienced a 5870 running at full whack 24hours a day for almost 2 months, and having used the 480, there's not much difference in volume...

Oh yeah did I mention that I like NOT having screen corruption in Windows because I use Win7 64bit and a dual monitor setup? LOL :)

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 18:33 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
ATI have had a lot of extra time to develop though after the 5xxx, and the profits to back it up. I think some of it may be to do with the fact that Nvidia are focusing on mobile graphics like tegra.