Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 10 May 2024, 21:24

All times are UTC+02:00

se 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 00:17 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (112)
This could have been posted both under suggestion and complaints or even here, so I decided here would be best
And I ask forgivenes about the poorly constructed post, hope my point gets through anyway

I haven't been active that long on the servers, but a trend I've noticed is members policing and even patroling main.
While I can see why you'd give members the ability to kick in the first place, I do suggest it be removed. Not only does it lead to powerhungry members jumping around main spaming chat about griefers, but it also lead to some people getting undeserverd kicks. Some people miss the chat, or doesn't know about it. And since member doesn't have the ability to freeze anyone they can't get their attention in the same way veteran+ ranked players can.
This leads to alot of spam like I said.

One thing that's even worse about members policing is the fact that they forget why they're there... To create, to build, to let their creative juices flow. Which in my opinion is bad. Some might argue they want to give back to the community, but wouldn't they give more back by creating awesome stuff?

I also find it hard to believe that OPs and supOPs aren't the least annoyed by members trying to do their job, and then doing it poorly.

Bottom line: Remove kick for members so they can focus on what they should

ro 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 01:05 
The Necromancer (4970)
Denied. ;-)

If members abuse kick they will get demoted. We've been through this discussion like 20 times in the past 6 months. I don't want to have the server running without people with kicking powers for ANY period of time. We had kick removed for several days once and it was a DISASTER.

au 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 09:38 
Has no REAL life! (1662)
Man I thought Lim would rage more. This has literally been a hot topic of discussion for ages, along with heaps of other community suggestions. My favourite one was "Give us more ranks!" And then a few days later, SomethingAmazing's fantastically thought out thread "There are too many ranks!"

gb 
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2010, 13:41 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Yeahh, the most important thing is always having someone online who can kick. However yes it comes at a price, members taking op+ jobs, and even trying to steal 'frag' as if it was of some worth to them. They don't get that their kick command is a last resort, they see it as just a bit of fun, or a competition. The prize is someone having their time ruined on the server.

I mean, they should be building, having fun. I think one problem is they don't want to build strictly on the member maps, 'cause they get yelled at for building a small house on main even. Members need kick, but can it atleast be voiced that they use it sparingly, and try and make way for vets+ to handle griefer cases?

Power abuse is getting so ripe, and it's not easy to spot either, you have to watch chat like a hawk. It's not like you can ban them either, as often the abuse was quite light, at it would be an overreaction to ban, but when you try talking to these people they just give you truckload of atittude and arrogance, and then people start backing them up, even other ops+. I think all that's needed is an atittude adjustment :/

se 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 12:57 
Kinda hopeless, but improving (112)
What Junco is saying is exactly what I meant. I even read the in the memberschat that some members had built a "grieftrap" which they were minitoring to catch potential greifers. Ofc I told them exactly what you wrote about we having kick only as a last resort, but don't think they listened to that.

us 
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2010, 16:06 
Likes to type... (265)
Of course they don't listen, most are kids, and one thing we know about kids are... They don't listen. I don't know how many times I've had to ask Fragmer to clear someones kick record because of a member wrongfully kicking them, then there response is always just, "soz." Nothing like abbreviated urban slang. I need to catch up on all these new words. Sadly though, I don't quite see a solution to this, so let's just keep on doing what we do.

Also, names have auto completion, so you only have to type out a little bit of there name. If theirs more than 1 player with the few letters you typed out, it will show you them, and then you can just add that extra letter to get it. Or after you pressed tab and typed out whatever command you are wanting to do, hold down the TAB key and click there name, it will paste it down there.

Front page of a very old website of mine back in 1999:
Hello, today is December 30, 110 and this site is Y2K compatible.