Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 05:41

All times are UTC+02:00

nl 
PostPosted: 22 Sep 2010, 13:37 
Community slut (13473)
For the nerds out there. A developer added code today to the Gallium3D library which makes it possible to run directx 10 and 11 in Linux. The dev states it should be fairly easy to port this into apps such as 'Wine'. Apps such as Wine currently need to convert direct3D calls to openGL which gives a lot of performance loss and many other issues.

We should see much better gaming support in Linux soon, w00t! :4

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:06 
Pretty useless (87)
Five more days until the release of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat,
released on October 10, 2010 (10/10/10).

This is a departure from the traditional schedule releasing at the end of October to get "the perfect 10", and a playful reference to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, since, in binary, 101010 is equal to the number 42, the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life the Universe and Everything"

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 10:15 
Pretty useless (87)
http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.10/
( RC1)

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2010, 13:17 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
For the nerds out there. A developer added code today to the Gallium3D library which makes it possible to run directx 10 and 11 in Linux. The dev states it should be fairly easy to port this into apps such as 'Wine'. Apps such as Wine currently need to convert direct3D calls to openGL which gives a lot of performance loss and many other issues.

We should see much better gaming support in Linux soon, w00t! :4
Interesting! My Linux box is actually reasonably powerful these days (after the old server went bang >< ). Having a Dual-Core 2.6 gig machine with 2 gig of ram and a GeForce 8 simply performing file management tasks was kinda bugging me. Maybe this will give me a little mroe functionality. Mind you I'll have to finally update my kernal as I am way behind now :lol:

@Sequera - Ubuntu? Ugh - Even the word makes me want to take a shower... <shudder>

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 10:52 
SpA Fookah (4459)
SpA's ritual burning of windows coming closer every single freaking day :mrgreen:
Seriously can't wait till I can laugh my ass off at every windows user :P

nl 
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2010, 09:49 
Pretty useless (87)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
@Sequera - Ubuntu? Ugh - Even the word makes me want to take a shower... <shudder>
About the Name
Ubuntu is a South African ethical ideology focusing on people's allegiances and relations with each other. The word comes from the Zulu and Xhosa languages. Ubuntu is seen as a traditional African concept, is regarded as one of the founding principles of the new republic of South Africa and is connected to the idea of an African Renaissance.

A rough translation of the principle of Ubuntu is "humanity towards others". Another translation could be: "the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity".

"A person with ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."

--Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Quote:
Even the word makes me want to m@sturbate under the shower?

ro 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 16:15 
Geek (602)
Yay l can't wait to get rid of the crappy windows <3

se 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 16:27 
Geek (970)
So this means that the conversion of calls from directx to openGL is no longer needed? And won't cost any extra preformance?! :O

nl 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 17:17 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]ArchLurker_Chad wrote:
So this means that the conversion of calls from directx to openGL is no longer needed? And won't cost any extra preformance?! :O
From what i understood reading it, yes, that's pretty much exactly what it seems to be doing.

se 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 18:42 
Geek (970)
Awesome! :D
Games are the only thing that ties me to windows... Well, that and my near zero experience with Linux.
This bodes well :)

ro 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 18:52 
Geek (602)
I guess 50% of your 0 experience with linux is because of the lack of games.

se 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 22:54 
Geek (970)
Aye. I went through the hassle of setting up a dual-boot with windows xp/Ubuntu some years ago
with the help of a linux-loving friend. Got WoW working through wine, but it had some issues with mapping
certain keys (one key!) which blew it for me. I'm a bit of a hotkey-fanatic so that one key was enough to
get me back to Windows. After a while it became tedious to reboot to change OS and I got tired of it.

With this change and without the hassle with the wine emulator support for games on Linux should be much easier,
or so I hope. Given all the keys are working properly I see little that would stop me from converting to Linux :)

nl 
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2010, 11:18 
Community slut (13473)
more nerd stuff: http://stanford.edu/~pgbovine/cde.html

au 
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2011, 03:38 
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]ArchLurker_Chad wrote:
From what i understood reading it, yes, that's pretty much exactly what it seems to be doing.
YAY! How did I only just find out about this?