Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:01

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: Team Fortress Crashing
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 09:22 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Since I've upgraded to Win7 TF2 constantly crashes. I can play for about an hour then it just flips out on me. The game freezes, the sound loops, then it goes all black and then quits.

On talking to a couple of other peeps they too seem to be having trouble with TF2 crashing with win7, so there seems to be a pattern so with much relief it's not just me or my computer. When I was still running XP I never had a problem.

I'm going to do some google searches to see if I can find a solution to the problem. But in the meantime if anyone has the same problem or any suggestions post away here.

Don_Don_Don did suggest to Verify the Game Cache Integrity which I did last night but I haven't had a chance to test whether that works or not.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 09:29 
Community slut (13473)
Did you do the standard stuff, checking if drivers are up2date, checking for messages in your event viewer etc?

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 09:30 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Did you do the standard stuff, checking if drivers are up2date, checking for messages in your event viewer etc?
Umm....no?

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 09:30 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Umm....no?
:mrgreen:

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 12:26 
Has no REAL life! (1620)
Mine does it on Vista, and I did all the usual stuff... that's not to say it wont help you just that it didn't help me.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 12:43 
Has no REAL life! (1439)
never crashed here btw, using win7 now almost for 2 years.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 17:57 
Has no REAL life! (3493)
it sounds really stupid, but a good defrag fixed a bunch of stuff for me. try it! :4

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 17:59 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Scatterbrain wrote:
it sounds really stupid, but a good defrag fixed a bunch of stuff for me. try it! :4
Now you've mentioned it. That's also how i fixed my l4d2 crashing a while ago.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:09 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
But it's a brand new HD. That which I only installed about a month or so ago. Surely it can't be THAT defragged in such a short time????

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:16 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
But it's a brand new HD. That which I only installed about a month or so ago. Surely it can't be THAT defragged in such a short time????
True, didn't think of that.

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:21 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Have you been using it for video?

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:27 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
No I have another HD for my Video. Win7 is on a separate partition so it hardly gets touched really. And Steam is also on it's own partition. Yeah ok I'm partition crazy. BITE ME!

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:33 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
just asking because storing video really does a number on HD's sometimes, especially if you are moving them around alot

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 18:36 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I see. I did not know that. Well luckily I have a Terrabyte for my videos so there won't be much need for moving them around :D

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 19:17 
Geek (975)
Some graphics drivers can cause issues. I can't use the latest Nvidia drivers with my laptop as they cause stuttering and crashes, but ones that came out a few months ago are fine.

You could try some older drivers - see if that fixes it.

Also does it happen with any other game?

gb 
PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 20:21 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
So far it has not happened with any other game, only TF2

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 18:18 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Combination of issues here: Source is a cranky old piece of shit bodged up to look like a real engine and your card is now 4 generations behind (not an issue in and of itself, rather a potential issue as Nvidia are notorious for cocking up their backward compatibility).

First up, I'll assume you followed the install order I gave you when I sent you Win 7? Right? :D If not, then that's your issue. Assuming its not try and update your GFX driver (COMPLETELY REMOVE THE OLD ONE!) and download the latest redist for DirectX and get that installed.

Do you have 2 gig of ram like I guessed in TF2 chat or do you have 4? If you only have 2 a) buy more (match it ffs!) and b) disable AERO completely.

Defrrag does nothing of any value on new OSs so I shouldn't bother with it. DO you have the correct MOBO drivers installed? Was it a pack or a bunch of standalone drivers (GART, Sound, Southbridge etc)? Tell us what versions you are on (and give us full hardware details while you are at it).

How much crap do you have resident at boot? Is there loads of stuff and third-party apps you have lying around in your tray? If so bin the lot and do a selective boot - this can fix any number of issues.

Let's start with that and we'll see what needs doing afterwards.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 18:33 
Has no REAL life! (4896)
Oh hey Howard. Haven't seen you around in a while mate. :)

Since you're here, maybe you could clear up a little argument I've been having with my mate.

What is the greatest videogame of the 21st Century SO FAR! Is it Call of Duty: Black Ops, FIFA 11 or Halo Reach?

Take your time. It's a toughy, I know, cause they're all definitely examples of the pinnacle of video gaming so that makes it a hard decision.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 18:57 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Combination of issues here: Source is a cranky old piece of shit bodged up to look like a real engine and your card is now 4 generations behind (not an issue in and of itself, rather a potential issue as Nvidia are notorious for cocking up their backward compatibility).

First up, I'll assume you followed the install order I gave you when I sent you Win 7? Right? :D If not, then that's your issue. Assuming its not try and update your GFX driver (COMPLETELY REMOVE THE OLD ONE!) and download the latest redist for DirectX and get that installed.

Do you have 2 gig of ram like I guessed in TF2 chat or do you have 4? If you only have 2 a) buy more (match it ffs!) and b) disable AERO completely.

Defrrag does nothing of any value on new OSs so I shouldn't bother with it. DO you have the correct MOBO drivers installed? Was it a pack or a bunch of standalone drivers (GART, Sound, Southbridge etc)? Tell us what versions you are on (and give us full hardware details while you are at it).

How much crap do you have resident at boot? Is there loads of stuff and third-party apps you have lying around in your tray? If so bin the lot and do a selective boot - this can fix any number of issues.

Let's start with that and we'll see what needs doing afterwards.
My stats:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @2.50GHz
RAM: 4GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
GPU: NVIDIA BeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
MOBO: abit IP35P

I'm downloading the updated driver for my GPU now :)
I had to update my DirectX to play COD.
MOBO drivers: well there was only ever one update back in 2008, so I was thinking of upgrading it soon, which will be another post to come.
I hate things booting up on startup so I turn it all off, just the stuff it needs.
What's AERO? I thought it was a chocolate :shock:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 19:31 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
aero is the theme

You can go to "control panel --> appearance and personalisation --> personalisation" and change it to windows 7 basic or windows classic. Although you shouldn't need to since aero isn't a cause for tf2 crashing afaik. Then again it can't hurt to turn it off, I have it so that whenever I start TF2 it changes the theme to windows 7 basic since aero gave me mouse lags :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 20:12 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
I have it so that whenever I start TF2 it changes the theme to windows 7 basic since aero gave me mouse lags :5:
How did you do that Moose?

ro 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 20:38 
The Necromancer (4970)
Aero is a non-issue since it is disabled by default whenever Windows goes into 3D acceleration mode, BTW. Just saying.

gb 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 20:41 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Well, the problem was that it wasn't disabled when I had TF2 in windowed mode which is how I like to play it (alt+tab and shizzle). Full screen mode disabled aero and that's why I didn't get mouse lags with it.

I can't actually remember how I did it, but as Lim said, it's a non-issue if you play in fullscreen.

ro 
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2011, 22:51 
The Necromancer (4970)
Yup, if you play in windowed mode disabling Aero is the way to go.

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 02:23 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
I have it so that whenever I start TF2 it changes the theme to windows 7 basic since aero gave me mouse lags :5:
How did you do that Moose?
With any normal game (ie non-steam) you right click on the shortcut/exe, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab and check the box "Disable desktop composition". With a Steam game it should be the same but then you'd have to launch it from a shortcut, not steam itself - or at least I think you would.

Aero does not auto disable on running a 3D app. It does on 32 bit version of Vista and (I believe) Win 7 but not 64. You want it off you have to turn it off. While you have enough ram, Anna, your card is low on VRAM (comparatively) so it could still be an issue. Most likely this is config/driver related though.

Have you checked your resident apps? What's in you tray after booting?

As an aside, a game updating you DirectX is not the same as getting a full update, especially now you are running a DX11 capable system. Get yourself to Microsoft and download the redist.

As for your mobo drivers: I think you are looking at BIOS updates not drivers. Having now looked your board up its Intel and therefore doesn't have drivers (at least not a full compliment) but it looks to have a Realtek HD soundchip so get yourself to their website and get the latest driver (this is a pain - Realtek's file host is appalling!).

Other things to note - when installing the latest Nvidia driver ALWAYS say no if it offers to install a networking manager (or some-such - I forget the wording at this hour). Everything else is fine, just not Networking.

Last thing - I assume you have run a full Windows Update? The disk I sent you is fully licensed to its always sensible to do so (just reject the WGA check download - if only on principal)

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 11:46 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Okay dokay, I'll give all that a whirl.

Thank you :hug:

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 14:58 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Oh, I remember how to do it and start it from steam and crap (I dislike shortcuts);

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<username>\team fortress 2\hl2.exe

Right click --> properties --> compatibility --> disable visual themes & disable desktop composition

ro 
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 15:45 
Has no REAL life! (3017)
I had the exact same issue Anna. I tried updating drivers, defragging, reinstalling the game and so on. And it only happened in TF2 as well. This won't be of much help but the one thing that made it stop was upgrading the graphics card to a GTX460. :P I was running on 9600GTS before.

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 02:18 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
TF2 crashed on me 3 times tonight, so I'm going to try your method Minimoose as my suspicions seem to think that it could be something to do with Aero as Howard said, I shall report back if I get any positive results.