All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 17:27 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
your mom is a PS3! :ugly:

pl 
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 19:09 
Has no REAL life! (1715)
In fact most ps3 releases are smaller than PC/Xbox, GT5 is only 13gb packed ;) Biggest one I've seen is MGS4 @ 24gb.

nl 
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 19:26 
SpA Fookah (4459)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
I don't see any issues downloading 30GB on our 120Mbit lines :mrgreen:
you mean mine? :P

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 22:05 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Bucky wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
I don't see any issues downloading 30GB on our 120Mbit lines :mrgreen:
you mean mine? :P
Yours, pims, whoevers :mrgreen:

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:24 
Geek (733)
From somebody that going into the television and film industry one day, I am finally starting to understand the importance of paying for my games and videos.

It would be stupid to advertise and endorse this idea, if everyone did it, companies creating these games would lose out, particularly the smaller companies that are creating the new and unique games we love.

Thats a very short version of what m getting at but i cant be bothered to type it any longer , and we dont ened some type of food chain to understand this

ro 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:45 
The Necromancer (4970)
*yawn*

Another person who missed the point of what was written here APART from the piracy encouragement. ;-)

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 21:00 
Geek (975)
This is taking a while for me to grasp, the piracy thing was obvious.

So could I write my own ps3 game, publish it via the net and it would work as I have their key? A bit like cydia with my jailbroken iPhone?

I wonder if we might see the ps4 a bit sooner because of this? The 10 year lifespan of the ps3 could be called into question.

ro 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 21:04 
The Necromancer (4970)
Quote:
So could I write my own ps3 game, publish it via the net and it would work as I have their key?
Exactly that.
With the piracy issues aside this is the main point here like I said repeatedly - impersonating Sony. And running homebrew on the PS3 is what the hackers did it for (in their own words). Instead of running unsigned code the PS3 is the only current console you can now run SIGNED code on - signed by Sony (since everybody can be Sony now ;-).

P.S. In other news - jailbreaked firmware v3.55 released. Since hackers can now run anything on the PS3 expect many more developments in that area i.e. completely custom firmwares that make running whatever you please as user-friendly as possible. And the best part is - Sony won't be able to patch that EVER as outlined in previous posts. ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 22:53 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Sony tried to make it sound like they can patch it, now they are trying to sue GeoHot for releasing the key or something, which really makes it look like they can fix it :lol:

at 
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 23:13 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
[SpA]Revenge wrote:
From somebody that going into the television and film industry one day, I am finally starting to understand the importance of paying for my games and videos.

It would be stupid to advertise and endorse this idea, if everyone did it, companies creating these games would lose out, particularly the smaller companies that are creating the new and unique games we love.
[SpA]Lim-Dul wrote:
No, why? You can now download any game you ever want and treat is as the demo - you like it, you buy it. Previously you had to rely on true demos. Actually this is pretty much the procedure I use for PC games - if something is worth paying for I pay for it.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 18:57 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
If these rumours are true then...wow fucking hell.

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/sony%E2%80 ... rial-codes

ro 
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 19:12 
The Necromancer (4970)
Ah yes! The pointless fight against pirates begins!
And legit customers will be the ones to be hit, of course. Imagine entering serial codes via gamepad. And the restrictions on them. Ha, ha, ha.
And obviously while this will stop games online, it will not prevent offline piracy in ANY way, since serial codes are immensely easy to circumvent, especially if you have full access to the PS3 now via the leaked keys.

I think Sony should just man up and leave it be. Piracy IS, generally speaking a problem, but a far smaller one than retarded publishers are making it seem. For every pirate there will be at least one Vögelchen, who will buy the games no matter what - and that's good!
In the end it's just a matter of conscience and fairness and honesty. It depends on what kind of person you are. By implementing stupid DRM measures you're essentially saying that all your customers are immoral bastards - I wouldn't like that.
And hey, like I said, I buy games that I feel deserve it, I just like to have my OWN moral code instead of having one shoved down my throat.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 20:40 
Geek (975)
Well currently I don't pirate any ps3 games. I do sell my games on eBay when I've played them and this move would basically rule that out. If that happens I won't be buying games anymore!

de 
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 21:12 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
Lim I accept your thoughts on this, but really, no one knows what Sony might come up with.
I just don't know what your problem is with entering keys with the gamepad, lol?! :shock:

de 
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 18:35 
Has no REAL life! (1548)
Look at the news today: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... s3-hackers

:5:

ro 
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 19:31 
The Necromancer (4970)
Probably some newbs. Currently some tards released a way to re-encode an older PS3 firmware to act as the new one (master keys will do that for you ;-) to maintain the jailbreak but I think this sounds like an insecure way that indeed might be identified. In other news the whole thing with Geohot is funny, since he wasn't even the one who truly discovered the vulnerability.

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 04:08 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
Quote:
Piracy IS, generally speaking a problem, but a far smaller one than retarded publishers are making it seem.
Piracy is the scapegoat for basically limiting you access to software which you bought. DRM, Online only play, One account with 1 save or however they do it, its just their business plan to rob you of your money. What happens when you run out of DRM because of some stupid mistakes or new pcs or the like, you have to buy the game again; or buy their more recent games; fundamentally making games of our generation obsolete.

Most people who casually pirate games wouldn't buy them anyway, and often end up buying either that game as Lim said, or buying others made by the same developers.

Anyway, banning people off PSN for piracy wont do much; who cares about playing COD online when you have a catalogue of all the single player games :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 10:36 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
This whole attack on piracy and pirates in general is absolute bullshit that unfortunately most meda industries blame on low sales; but forget to blame, crappy products, bad distribution models, and company infrastructure.

Recent example that has really pissed me off, was EA and Crytek instantly jumping on the "attack pirates" bandwagon after SOMEONE from EA or Crytek leaked an unfinished build onto the internet. Apparently it is the PC user's fault that the PC games industry is dying on it's arse... wait, what... what was that valve, it is not? hmmm, then what are these dicks talking about then. I'm pretty sure EA are to dumb to understand where the term "leak" came from and what it actually means.. Maybe they should give the loyal PC gamers some respect after supporting them for so long, spending fortunes on hardware, and we don't get a demo for Crysis 2 but all the console yuppies do.

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/blog/crysis-leak

Sorry it wasn't specifically PS3 related, but meh wanted a rant, though it's a bit silly for sony to just outright ban all hacking PS3 users, isn't that just attacking your customers... do you think they will buy the PS4?

ro 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 10:57 
The Necromancer (4970)
Yeah, a stupid little counter-example: The Humble Indie Bundle(s).

Granted, there were several games in each one but their combined market value was not far off from major game releases (especially with the bullshit pricing on consoles).

http://www.humblebundle.com/

No DRM, Pay What You Want - 138,813 and 232,855 sales respectively - IN A WEEK. Average purchase almost $8. Yes, it's a silly little experiment riding mostly on Indie Dev love and the "coolness" factor but goes to show that if you actually DO cater for your customers and not just spin bullshit on how piracy destroys your sales and whatnot you can actually make quite an amount of money. And hey, there most certainly wasn't as much hype around the games in the Bundles as around ANY given A-list release.

Imagine if Blizzard pulled off a stunt like this (not likely, they want to charge people for EVERYTHING, preferably several times ;-) - perhaps with a minimum amount of money but still. They'd probably sell a couple of million copies of whatever title they choose but they are far too scared to risk stuff like that. AND if they had no DRM some brilliant company executive would immediately put all pirated copies circulating around as lost sales proving that they would have sold more if they had gone another route. ;-)

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 11:22 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
some major publishers are just to cheap to release their products via steam, which imo is one of the best digital distribution models i have ever seen and has the least intrusive DRM system. Just just don't want to lose that 25% or something that steam take. Say what you like about the game, but AVP wouldn't have sold half as well as it did without being released through steam; and it did really well purely because of the digital distribution.
In regards to piracy, perhaps major devs and publishers should take a step back and look at their own production chain and perhaps plug the leaks. I guess it's easier to blame the customers than, themselves...

us 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 00:00 
Has learned to write! (156)
From a customers point of view I think Steam's digital distribution is the best. As it was stated somewhere else on the forums, with no shelf-cost/warehousing it should help lower the cost of games, and allows publishers to drop sales and surprises on us with little notice. If it wasn't for the fact that I need to be online to play single-player games I would dare say that its....perfect?

Another thing I am seeing that annoys me though is how some companies are requiring you to purchase or pre-order a certain game just to get beta-testing access for a future game. I think it is stupid that I have to pay in order to test a future game just to see if I will like it.

AMEN

at 
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 22:19 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
Quote:
If it wasn't for the fact that I need to be online to play single-player games I would dare say that its....perfect?
You don't have to. Steam has an offline mode.

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 15:53 
Has no REAL life! (2026)
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/0 ... unmasking/

The saga continues

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:18 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
I wish Sony would get a grip, this entire thing is now the equivalent of Sony slipping on a bit of ice, and then flinging their own shit at the people who saw it happen and chuckled a bit.

Because all of this is simply about Sony being pissed off about the fact someone showed them up.

also gonna link this because its an interesting thing to watch...
http://screwattack.com/videos/TGO-EPISO ... No-Clothes

nl 
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2011, 16:50 
The Necromancer (4970)
The whole thing with Geohot is so funny to me. Sony is going after the guy to put on a show trial even though he wasn't the person who discovered the core problem - i.e. the master key. He just released a cracked firmware based on that info. Now he is all over the news even though what he did was extremely easy once he had the keys and shutting him down/up won't change ANYTHING since any monkey with a keyboard is STILL able to fake Sony's signatures as outlined before in this very thread.