Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:30

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 17:54 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
thanks saint, that's the same thing i did for xp :)

im not that much of a noob ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 17:54 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
i dont want my shit to look pretty, just work :)
can't wait to get out of work early and mess around with my new toy!

then annoy howard with "why doesnt this bit work like xp" style comments! and listen to him compare me to scum or that grey build up you get in public toilets.
If you want performance and not the looks, I can suggest this lovely option;
:shock:

Did anyone else hear that? That was my head exploding.

I'm out...

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:00 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

If you want performance and not the looks, I can suggest this lovely option;

I'm out...
If you want to defend the core of the OS, be my guest. But you can't possibly discuss personal taste. Just accept the fact that there are idiots like us out there :wink: :mrgreen: :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:08 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
lol howard,

i normally do a custom setup, i just dont want stuff that is pretty for the sake of being pretty (wise i'd buy a mac), if its functional and cool then thats fine, but i dont need fades and swirling animations and reflections of my face in the panels etc which only function to make my OS look cool, but not offer any other benefit :)

de 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:52 
Doesn't get out much (357)
it scares me a bit agreeing with howard that often recently :shock:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 18:59 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

I'm out...
If you want to defend the core of the OS, be my guest. But you can't possibly discuss personal taste. Just accept the fact that there are idiots like us out there :wink: :mrgreen: :5:
True and I would never even attempt to tell someone that their opinion regarding something is incorrect. I will however take issue with ignorance and fear being mistaken for opinion. If after spending time with the additional features of a new OS (or any other software suite for that matter) you find you simply have no use for them and removing them actively improves your experience, then so be it. Most people do not do this however. Their brain simply makes the "THIS NEW - NEW BAD! BAD!!!" connection and instantly they try and make the new software look like the old. This is so unbelievably blinkered, cowardly and down right bloody stupid that I lack the time of day to write and insulting enough post regarding it.

Just what in the hell is the point and moreover why does this ONLY happen with certain things? Why is the world populated by people who are incapable of change, but only in certain situations? Most people are fine to accept the latest advance in mobile phones, clothes, cars, televisions, watches, music players and even in most kinds of software, but put them in front of a version of Windows that they does not look exactly like the previous and they have a melt down. Computers are all about change. They are the bleeding edge of technology. If we were talking about hardware the same things would not apply. Ask someone if they want to use the latest GeForce card in the latest iteration of DirectX and they are on it like white on rice, but ask them to use Aero, one of the best innovations M$ has ever come up with, allowing those of us with powerful graphics cards to have a much more smooth, interactive and faster responding desktop and suddenly they are signing up with the Luddites.

It just baffles me. I can't even be made to rant or care about this argument anymore. I have no problem discussing things with those who are informed regarding the subject, but it seems that most just choose an opinion out of a hat or (as Vista showed) listen what their mate tells them even he knows sod all too.

Anyway - fwiw that wasn't a rant, just an expression of incomprehension. Read into it whatever tone you like I guess...

nl 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 19:19 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

True and I would never even attempt to tell someone that their opinion regarding something is incorrect. I will however take issue with ignorance and fear being mistaken for opinion. If after spending time with the additional features of a new OS (or any other software suite for that matter) you find you simply have no use for them and removing them actively improves your experience, then so be it. Most people do not do this however. Their brain simply makes the "THIS NEW - NEW BAD! BAD!!!" connection and instantly they try and make the new software look like the old. This is so unbelievably blinkered, cowardly and down right bloody stupid that I lack the time of day to write and insulting enough post regarding it.

Just what in the hell is the point and moreover why does this ONLY happen with certain things? Why is the world populated by people who are incapable of change, but only in certain situations? Most people are fine to accept the latest advance in mobile phones, clothes, cars, televisions, watches, music players and even in most kinds of software, but put them in front of a version of Windows that they does not look exactly like the previous and they have a melt down. Computers are all about change. They are the bleeding edge of technology. If we were talking about hardware the same things would not apply. Ask someone if they want to use the latest GeForce card in the latest iteration of DirectX and they are on it like white on rice, but ask them to use Aero, one of the best innovations M$ has ever come up with, allowing those of us with powerful graphics cards to have a much more smooth, interactive and faster responding desktop and suddenly they are signing up with the Luddites.

It just baffles me. I can't even be made to rant or care about this argument anymore. I have no problem discussing things with those who are informed regarding the subject, but it seems that most just choose an opinion out of a hat or (as Vista showed) listen what their mate tells them even he knows sod all too.

Anyway - fwiw that wasn't a rant, just an expression of incomprehension. Read into it whatever tone you like I guess...
I like new things 8) I however hate changes on a visual level. Infact, I hate any visual 'neat' stuff. I feel at home at a text based console. However i remain to be a stoner, so the entire point 'n click concept is rather well figured out. But.... I use it for its functions, and not it's prettyness.

Same deal goes for my mobile phone. I'm prolly one of the few around here who strips it from all it's programs, features and looks upon receiving the device.

On the new OS discussions, I have my reasons to not like windows 7, and I still preffer windows XP over windows 7. I am however forced at work to use windows 7, and at home I'm forced to use it to play new games - no way around it. My reasons for liking XP over windows 7 is pure based on the amount of bugs I run into(mostly work related). By the time windows 7 is as old as XP, I'll prolly like it as well 8)

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 19:53 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:

I like new things 8) I however hate changes on a visual level. Infact, I hate any visual 'neat' stuff. I feel at home at a text based console. However i remain to be a stoner, so the entire point 'n click concept is rather well figured out. But.... I use it for its functions, and not it's prettyness.

Same deal goes for my mobile phone. I'm prolly one of the few around here who strips it from all it's programs, features and looks upon receiving the device.

On the new OS discussions, I have my reasons to not like windows 7, and I still preffer windows XP over windows 7. I am however forced at work to use windows 7, and at home I'm forced to use it to play new games - no way around it. My reasons for liking XP over windows 7 is pure based on the amount of bugs I run into(mostly work related). By the time windows 7 is as old as XP, I'll prolly like it as well 8)

Very good points. The more I learn about BASH the more I lament the lack of a similar thing for Windoze.

I too did not like 7 when it launched. Its driver support was patchy as hell, it was very unstable and there were endless conflicts both with hardware and software. I was, however, using Vista and I was very happy with it. It took me a good while to move to Win 7. Thing is that has been the same with Every M$ OS. I stuck with 98SE for many a year as ME was utterly useless and never received the updates it needed and I resisted XP until well after Sp1 as it too was pure garbage. VIsta was the same as XP and had to wait until SP1 was released before it was usable.

I am keen to try out and use new OSs but I am far from a fan of M$ and in no way an early adopter.

de 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 20:09 
Doesn't get out much (357)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Very good points. The more I learn about BASH the more I lament the lack of a similar thing for Windoze.
prepare yourself for zsh then :wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 20:52 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Okay, so its all installed now :) pretty happy... yet to try out any games yet.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 22:40 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
Try out a dx 9 game, dx 10 and 11 make no difference anyway.
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Yea turn off Aero when playing TF2, otherwise it crashes.

See my thread Team Fortress Crashing

I did what Minimoose suggested and not had any problems again since the new update. But Howard helped me with the settings in TF2 and it's much better now.
I
am
a
god. :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 23:41 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
[SpA]annarack wrote:
Yea turn off Aero when playing TF2, otherwise it crashes.

See my thread Team Fortress Crashing

I did what Minimoose suggested and not had any problems again since the new update. But Howard helped me with the settings in TF2 and it's much better now.
I
am
a
Direct X 10 makes a HUGE difference. Period.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 00:41 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:

I
am
a
they will bite your hands off if u keep feeding them mate ^^

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 04:11 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:

I
am
a
:26

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 19:16 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
Okay, ive been playing crysis 2 all day... a) my pc is the tits and b) this game looks the tits...

:57 :57 :57 Thanks for everyones help! i get to enjoy a fab looking game! (not sold on the gameplay yet, as its not as creative as the first one in what you can do, its alot more linear!)

Ill post some screens once i get photoshop installed!