Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:25

All times are UTC+02:00

se 
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 17:59 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
Hello everyone.

The story: Few hours ago I started TF2 and realised i had pretty low fps and thought it was due to temperature. While connecting to a server I decided to vaccuum the back of my PC to see if it gets any better. After I finished I canceled the connection to the server (proof that it was still working at this point) but after that the screen suddenly froze and I couldn't do anything anymore.
I restarted by manually turning it on and off and of course didn't get any picture anymore...
Usually my screen is connected to my PC like this: Screen - VGA/d-sub - VGA/d-sub to DVI adapter - DVI (PC), so I tried removing the adapter and directly connected it to the VGA interface, and it worked, but it only used a vga resolution (which was an indication for me the driver isn't working). I ran dxdiag and it told me that the driver either isn't installed or not working properly.
I downloaded the ATI Catalyst Control Center (which should in theory contain the display driver) and tried reinstalling - didn't work. I tried uninstalling everything and reinstall again, and nothing works, and I haven't got a clue why. When it finished installing, it said there was an error, but looking at the log/protocol it doesn't display any error messages. It also didn't ask me to restart the PC 8which should be usual after installing drivers, no?), basically it didn't respong anymore at all.

Any tips/guesses?

It's seriously pissing me off, I mean I understand the saying"Don't touch a running system", but come on - you can't even clean it physically anymore? -__-

nl 
PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 18:06 
Community slut (13473)
Sounds a bit worrying in regard to your card's health.

Give this tool a try, drivercleaner. Let it clean out all ATI drivers, then do a reboot, then re-run the setup for the latest drivers.

http://rapidshare.com/files/21200804/DClsProEd1.5.rar

P.s. No, you see it wrong, I did not link to illegal content. You're completely seeing it wrong!

at 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 15:50 
Has no REAL life! (1829)
lol what a fucking joke. You want to know what the problem was?

The gfx card loosened because it wasn't fixed with a screw. Obviously the PC doesn't recognize drivers for something that's not plugged in -__-
Put it in again, fixed it with a screw so it doesn't happen again, resolved the driver mess I created, rebooted and it's working.

inb4 problem sits between chair and monitor.

Thanks for the help anyway^^

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 16:37 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
eee wouldn't go near anything with a vacuum, heard it causes all sorts of static issues.

gb 
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2011, 17:06 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
is that what you tell your mum? :ugly: