Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 11 May 2024, 21:57

All times are UTC+02:00

us 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 19:29 
Crap at posting (33)
Just what it says in the title. If you're on Linux you can use this script called Mineshell to keep a backup stash of 1.7.3. You can swap between the two versions with easy commands then.

You unpack 1.7.3 when you want to do multiplayer, and you unpack 1.8 when you want to... well... play 1.8.

It does other cool stuff, but I see a few threads about waiting to upgrade to 1.8 and I thought this would be relevant and help ease those concerns for at least some people. It probably works for mac users too if you install wget. And it might (big maybe) work on Windows if you installed cygwin and edited it a bit.

nl 
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 19:44 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
you can always roll back if you have the 1.7.3 pack somewhere on your computer.

AKA dont go ask how. lol :5:

-Patogy

au 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 07:42 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
I wrote a small program that will switch versions for people who have windows, I will post it once the update is out

us 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 08:18 
Crap at posting (43)
mbl111 wrote:
I wrote a small program that will switch versions for people who have windows, I will post it once the update is out
Oh yes I do so love easy, thank you! :4

gb 
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2011, 10:03 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Grickit wrote:
Just what it says in the title. If you're on Linux you can use this script called Mineshell to keep a backup stash of 1.7.3. You can swap between the two versions with easy commands then.

You unpack 1.7.3 when you want to do multiplayer, and you unpack 1.8 when you want to... well... play 1.8.

It does other cool stuff, but I see a few threads about waiting to upgrade to 1.8 and I thought this would be relevant and help ease those concerns for at least some people. It probably works for mac users too if you install wget. And it might (big maybe) work on Windows if you installed cygwin and edited it a bit.
Yeah, 'cos scripts only exist on linux,,, :roll:

us 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 20:20 
Crap at posting (33)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Yeah, 'cos I claimed that they do,,, :roll:

Quote:
you can always roll back if you have the 1.7.3 pack somewhere on your computer.
Exactly. This just makes that easier. You can name the "pack"s and it's one command to make it, and one command to put it back. And you can pack up mods and stuff.

It's also got other useful stuff like adjusting the memory usage cap, tuning the garbage collector for multi-core processors, updating lwjgl, skipping minecraft.net authentication, and backing up saves

de 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 22:07 
Geek (856)
Would you mind to share all those scripts, batch files, programs and whatnot with us?

gb 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 22:46 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Grickit wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Actually, wise ass, you kinda did or you would not have put "linux users" in that title of your post. Backup scripts for MC have been used by MC players for as long as MC has been around, Linux has nothing to do with this. :18

cl 
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 23:06 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
Since he was presenting the script he made for linux, it's be weird to add other OSes on the title and tell them to use google....

us 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 00:40 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Grickit wrote:
Actually, wise ass, you kinda did or you would not have put "linux users" in that title of your post. Backup scripts for MC have been used by MC players for as long as MC has been around, Linux has nothing to do with this. :18
Ahahaha i love you howard :5: