Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:01

All times are UTC+02:00

dk 
 Post subject: A new marketplace
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 13:33 
So long and thanks for all the fish! (1771)
I think it's cool with centralised marketplaces, I do have a beef or two about the current Leo's marketplace.

First off, the tents are too alike, so you often have to look around for a while to find the shop you wanted again. Another thing is the limited space. Sometimes you have to go down 10 floors to find what you need.

So I am proposing a new trading hub, where everyone would get a fixed area of say 25x25 (And 12 tall). There wouldnt be any tents here, and you would be able to design your own stores with your own distinct facades to attract people. Not only would it be easier to design stores this way, visitors would also have an easier time finding your store again.

JuncoPartner: I could barely hold it up for long.

be 
 Post subject: Re: A new marketplace
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 13:40 
Crap at posting (46)
well i think it's a good idea.
Especially because it always took some time for me to find the right shop at leo's market

[20:55] <+FBV> roqqan: pat
[20:55] <+FBV> Patogy: yes?
[20:56] <+FBV> roqqan: pat your fat :D

be 
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 13:42 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
First of, you remember the colour of the tent, not the shape because the colour is the distinctive marker.

Second, if you would do that market you would surpass the 100 x 100 x 100 rule after 9 stalls.

pt 
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 14:25 
Geek (697)
Where did you see a shop with 10 floors? Mine has 3 and I sell almost everything o.O

us 
PostPosted: 27 Aug 2011, 14:34 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
heldplayer wrote:
First of, you remember the colour of the tent, not the shape because the colour is the distinctive marker.

Second, if you would do that market you would surpass the 100 x 100 x 100 rule after 9 stalls.
Read the above bold.

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 12:19 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Spikespiegel wrote:
I think it's cool with centralised marketplaces, I do have a beef or two about the current Leo's marketplace.

First off, the tents are too alike, so you often have to look around for a while to find the shop you wanted again. Another thing is the limited space. Sometimes you have to go down 10 floors to find what you need.

So I am proposing a new trading hub, where everyone would get a fixed area of say 25x25 (And 12 tall). There wouldnt be any tents here, and you would be able to design your own stores with your own distinct facades to attract people. Not only would it be easier to design stores this way, visitors would also have an easier time finding your store again.
No. This is not getting built

Also the only place a 10 storey shop exists is in your mind.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 13:18 
Doesn't get out much (382)
I think having more markets spread out across the map is a good idea. Folks are always wanting a spot in Leo's, and there are never any stalls available, and they are not the only or largest markets Leo had planned. He also created one that was supposed to be larger with lower floors within the castle walls, but I think only he and I made shops in there...

I was thinking shops should be set up anywhere folks have created a community (lol dont throw lightening at me ... yall know it has happened, even if they arent called cities, just a bunch of friends who built kinda close to each other :) But markets like that would be cool. Right now we have three markets that seem official, and not sure why, Leo's Jmons, and Frimples, now for reasons of distances from where folks live or whatever, only Leo's keeps getting the influx of shop owners. When folks ask where to set up a shop I tell them about all three, or to set up at their place, but that one of the main ones will get more traffic.

Howard, do you oppose others just setting up their own markets? Not on the grand scale first mentioned here, but on smaller scale? Also, when folks have a lot to sale, a small tent just isnt big enough and folks are digging down under at Leo's, with his ok, some lol pretty deep, Birdy was going for bedrock lmao! But now there is bedrock not too deep to keep this from happening again lol.

Just tossing some ideas out, possibly to get more commerce going.

“If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

dk 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 13:22 
So long and thanks for all the fish! (1771)
I didn't want it to be on a HUGE scale, if people thought that was what I was implying :)

But it would be nice to have small trading streets in some of the bigger cities, where people could set up some shops that are bigger than the ones found in Leo's market.

JuncoPartner: I could barely hold it up for long.

us 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 13:28 
Spikespiegel wrote:
I didn't want it to be on a HUGE scale, if people thought that was what I was implying :)

But it would be nice to have small trading streets in some of the bigger cities, where people could set up some shops that are bigger than the ones found in Leo's market.
lol it was the 25x25 shops you were proposing :)

I am agree with ya about more shops, and they could go down instead of wide.

“If it means interfering in an ensconced, outdated system, to help just one woman, man or child…I’m willing to accept the consequences.” -Wonder Woman #170

pt 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 15:59 
Geek (697)
Yes, just copy that smart guy called JMPanty and make a basement ;)

Also, I never heard about an extra market inside the castle walls, not even a sign warning about it, that's probably why no one noticed it. Oh and in front of my tent theres space for around 2 or 3 new tents, it's just an empty plaza (to the right when you 1st enter the market from the portal side).

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 17:46 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
People can set up shops in their own build but only because I have neither the time of the inclination to stop you. I do however think its a damned stupid idea as no one will ever visit them.

The objection I voiced above was directed at the idea of a large central market. This must NEVER happen and I will not allow any market to get bigger than Leo's (including Leo's market - it is as big as it will ever be). I am happy to have several main markets (and I am even considering running a player one at IC but I have not yet decided) but they must be reasonable in sized and sanctioned by the Admin team. Having different physical markets creates both a reason to travel (MCers are lazy fucks) and a functional economy.

pt 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 18:14 
Geek (697)
Oh you could do one in IC, there's way too much free space left ^^

us 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 20:10 
lol you open one in IC I want a stall and so does Yankee !

But cool about folks opening their own, then when they see folks yelling they want to buy something in game chat, they can say they have it at their markets?

gb 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 20:39 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
RoseAmazon wrote:
lol you open one in IC I want a stall and so does Yankee !

But cool about folks opening their own, then when they see folks yelling they want to buy something in game chat, they can say they have it at their markets?
Like I say, I'm not going to stop them (yet - I may change my mind as everyone will doubtless take the piss) but I would urge people NOT to set up shop in their build. Given how big Leo's, Jmon's and the potential IC market are, setting up a few crappy little shops at your build is just damned silly. No one will shop there!

As an aside, I am going to extend the babel Gate network to include extra portals between markets - ie the 3 markets just listed would have 3 portals - 1 to Babel and 1 to the other 2 markets

us 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 21:02 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
As an aside, I am going to extend the babel Gate network to include extra portals between markets - ie the 3 markets just listed would have 3 portals - 1 to Babel and 1 to the other 2 markets
Nice!!! :4

us 
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 21:58 
[SpA]Howard wrote:
are these shops gonna be free? if not, who will the rent go to? The server or individuals? since you want folks to only set up at the markets, there needs to be enough space to accomodate those who want markets and equity in who gets any rent money. Not so hot to say folks have to set up a shop in certain areas and pay those folks for the privilege. Red China at it's finest? lol

Sometimes hard to find the line between total domination of actions in a game and encouraging folks to find creative solutions on their own.

pt 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 02:11 
Geek (697)
I'd say, encourage players to only have 1 shop in total instead of 1 shop in each market, that way everyone has enough space to set up their own shop.

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 02:16 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
RoseAmazon wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
are these shops gonna be free? if not, who will the rent go to? The server or individuals? since you want folks to only set up at the markets, there needs to be enough space to accomodate those who want markets and equity in who gets any rent money. Not so hot to say folks have to set up a shop in certain areas and pay those folks for the privilege. Red China at it's finest? lol

Sometimes hard to find the line between total domination of actions in a game and encouraging folks to find creative solutions on their own.
What? I don't understand your question.

What does it matter who the rent for a shop goes to? And who said the shops are to be rented? And who said these shops even exist? There's jumping the gun then this.

As to "there needs to be enough space to accommodate those who want markets": No there doesn't. This isn't a hippy commune. Sure there probably will be but your statements of what must happen lest we turn into a communist state are flatly ludicrous.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 02:20 
Doesn't get out much (376)
I'd say the exact opposite. There needs to be too little space for those who want markets, scarcity is the basis of any economy.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 02:32 
Crap at posting (43)
In regard to building shops on your own build, myself and crackout have a small market at our I&C build and your right no one shops there but it's the pretties part of our build and it's more there just as a design thing since I think our farm should have a farmer's market. I know you said you weren't gonna remove them but I'm just putting that out there and I don't see any reason people shouldn't be allowed to open there own as long as they are within build limits.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 04:12 
Crap at posting (29)
i think we could do one under ground and each stall is 7x7 and you can dig down as far as you need. and all of the stalls are in rows so you could do like 4 stalls in a row...... maybe?

gb 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 13:57 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Crackout182 wrote:
i think we could do one under ground and each stall is 7x7 and you can dig down as far as you need. and all of the stalls are in rows so you could do like 4 stalls in a row...... maybe?
If you mean Leo's market then no you cannot. The stalls are marked out there for a reason. IF there is not enough space then simply limit what you want to sell there. As I say there is at least one other major player market (which needs a damned good overhaul I grant as its pretty useless right now) and potentially another incoming.

Use Leo's market as it was designed, not as you see fit. Extraneous signs will just be deleted.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 19:33 
Leo also has a market place inside the castle walls he set up ages ago and was asking players to set up shops there. These are actual buildings and included basements.

Just wondering if these are still ok or not.

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 20:12 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
RoseAmazon wrote:
Leo also has a market place inside the castle walls he set up ages ago and was asking players to set up shops there. These are actual buildings and included basements.

Just wondering if these are still ok or not.
go here:
http://forum.specialattack.net/viewtopi ... 85&t=11696

us 
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 23:44 
bubbajim3 wrote:
Different market, set up differently at a different time.

us 
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 03:11 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
RoseAmazon wrote:
bubbajim3 wrote:
Different market, set up differently at a different time.
After reading your post again, i made a mistake :P
I thought you were asking if Leo's markets basements were still okay lol

My Fault :P

ca 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 01:24 
Geek (776)
Spikespiegel wrote:

Not much of a smp'r but that is a cool idea. Since Howard hates railways because of lag and a traumatic childhood using them, I came up with a idea. Water ways. Since any newb can craft a boat, it would be helpful. Not saying it replace babel but, when I get myself lost (happens a lot) I would have a chance of running into a canal or water way, which could lead me to civilization and portals.

au 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 11:26 
Has no REAL life! (1349)
canadacanucks01 wrote:
Not much of a smp'r but that is a cool idea. Since Howard hates railways because of lag and a traumatic childhood using them, I came up with a idea. Water ways. Since any newb can craft a boat, it would be helpful. Not saying it replace babel but, when I get myself lost (happens a lot) I would have a chance of running into a canal or water way, which could lead me to civilization and portals.
This isnt really the place to bring this up

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 12:16 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
canadacanucks01 wrote:
Spikespiegel wrote:

As MBL says, totally the wrong place to bring this up.

That said, waterways are in fact an even stupider idea than carts. Abandoned boats cause just as much lag as minecarts and waterways take up 10 times more room that minetracks. Waterways can also be griefed and the resulting leaks can cause damage across wide areas. More than that is the problem of how you would navigate said waterway. Do you have to cover the damned thing n signs so that people have a clue where they are and what direction their intended destination lies in?

That being said, I am interested in existing water ways being expanded and joined up so that the map is navigable by boat for purely fun reasons. I have even started this at various locations, terraforming the existing rivers and pools so that they join up. Also this might be more viable once the 1.8 idiocy works its way out. It will, however, NEVER be viable as a real mode of transport.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2011, 18:27 
Doesn't get out much (376)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
canadacanucks01 wrote:

As MBL says, totally the wrong place to bring this up.

That said, waterways are in fact an even stupider idea than carts. Abandoned boats cause just as much lag as minecarts and waterways take up 10 times more room that minetracks. Waterways can also be griefed and the resulting leaks can cause damage across wide areas. More than that is the problem of how you would navigate said waterway. Do you have to cover the damned thing n signs so that people have a clue where they are and what direction their intended destination lies in?

That being said, I am interested in existing water ways being expanded and joined up so that the map is navigable by boat for purely fun reasons. I have even started this at various locations, terraforming the existing rivers and pools so that they join up. Also this might be more viable once the 1.8 idiocy works its way out. It will, however, NEVER be viable as a real mode of transport.

I'll admit that canals are very unlikely to be a truly viable method of transport, and that boats travel very poorly but they are fun to ride and in places the odd aqueduct would look nice. They're also less open to grief as they represent in themselves no valuable resource like rails.