Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:00

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 18:46 
Illiterate (13)
Current setup: http://s356.photobucket.com/home/aeoncleanse
6 Pictures there of what I'm using.

Once I'm in Canada in 2 months, having sold this system, I am building a new one, approximate spending including peripherals should be around $2000, and will feature the new AMD Bulldozer-architecture Octo-core processor. But what case? Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair Graphite 600T, NZXT Phantom Black, or... something else. High end, and not Antec. Any ideas people?

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2011, 21:39 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
get an antec

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 01:42 
Illiterate (13)
... :x It would be you to say it huh. NOT ANTEC... They are ugly, common, plastic bits of crap with no style or flare, they're a nightmare to build in, and they're too noisy...

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 02:34 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
my antec is sweet, and i like dull looking pcs ^^ it is what is inside that counts :grouphug:

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 12:43 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I found it hard to find a decent case which was relatively cheap and didn't look like a fairground ride.

I guess my views will differ slightly to yours on what a good pc case is :ugly:

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 12:56 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
I've got a P182SE; and it looks nice and boring, the way i like my cases. In addition, it keeps my PSU completely locked off from the air flow of rest of the case, and all the wires go behind the motherboard. Plus it has dual walls for added acoustic absorption.

Also, it is covered in mirrors, so I can look at myself whilst im gaming... and other things...

ya dig?

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 13:55 
Illiterate (13)
I've not seen that one before. It looks better than most Antec's, but mirrors? Not really my style. The tech inside isn't that great either, it's kind of like a much earlier version of the Obsidian 800D. Impressive for its release date though... The 800D is the best case I have found for interior, and the NZXT Phantom simply cannot be beaten when it comes to looking fantastic... A few of Silverstone's and Lian Li's cases have caught my eye too, but they are SERIOUSLY expensive :shock:

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 19:23 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
nah the antec case i have is fantastic, both inside and out, i wanted gun metal black, but the mirrors were cheaper and i get too look at my handsome face.

to be honest though, i dont really care about case aesthetics, as the big bastards sits under my desk, and no one ever sees it...

and chicks dont really get wet from cases either...

cl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 19:31 
Has no REAL life! (1308)
You don't know the right chicks.

But yeah, case aesthetics are worthless... If you're gonna pay for junk, you better get a mac.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2011, 19:37 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
PetePorty wrote:
If you're gonna pay for junk, you better get a mac.
uh oh :lol:

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 10:50 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ShadowKnight wrote:
Current setup: http://s356.photobucket.com/home/aeoncleanse
6 Pictures there of what I'm using.

Once I'm in Canada in 2 months, having sold this system, I am building a new one, approximate spending including peripherals should be around $2000, and will feature the new AMD Bulldozer-architecture Octo-core processor. But what case? Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair Graphite 600T, NZXT Phantom Black, or... something else. High end, and not Antec. Any ideas people?
http://www.guru3d.com/news/leaked-slide ... rformance/
LOL

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 12:46 
Has no REAL life! (8841)

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 18:33 
The one and only (619)
[SpA]ProtectMyBalls wrote:
:59 :59 :59 :59 :59

gb 
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2011, 23:16 
Illiterate (13)
Quote:
Heh, slide is fake. Released in May this year when everyone was just speculating blindly, and the performance gap between the i7 2600k and Phenom II 1100T is backwards (The i7 is much faster than the Phenom in the majority of tests). The Llano performance is more accurate, which would make sense as companies actually HAD Llano cores with release stepping in May.

As far as I am aware, the only Bulldozer CPU they could have had back in May was the first stepping, which was only sent to 4 companies, none of which were the one named on those slides. The release versions should be one hell of a lot faster, and the sheer theory behind the new architecture looks like it might kill the Core architecture.

I'm not going to be stupid though... I will wait a few weeks after release, and if the Bulldozers don't do what I'm expecting, I will be getting an i7... I think AMD will surprise the industry again though. They have precedence after all (Athlon-64).

gb 
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011, 09:19 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ShadowKnight wrote:
Quote:
Heh, slide is fake. Released in May this year when everyone was just speculating blindly, and the performance gap between the i7 2600k and Phenom II 1100T is backwards (The i7 is much faster than the Phenom in the majority of tests). The Llano performance is more accurate, which would make sense as companies actually HAD Llano cores with release stepping in May.

As far as I am aware, the only Bulldozer CPU they could have had back in May was the first stepping, which was only sent to 4 companies, none of which were the one named on those slides. The release versions should be one hell of a lot faster, and the sheer theory behind the new architecture looks like it might kill the Core architecture.

I'm not going to be stupid though... I will wait a few weeks after release, and if the Bulldozers don't do what I'm expecting, I will be getting an i7... I think AMD will surprise the industry again though. They have precedence after all (Athlon-64).
Well AMD did good once with A64 - but one surprise in 10 generations does not a precedent make.

I have not seen any conclusive proof that the slide I posted is fake. Every single piece of info I can find points to the Bulldozer (or as it will doubtless end up being known, the Bullshit) being a very slow core with all the usual problems that the last 5+ generations of AMD chips have had. They are 100% reliant on people having a more GPPU setup in order for their hardware to compete - a fallacy that totally falls apart when Nvidia's CUDA is brought into the equation. (This by the way is what that slide shows - that if you combine a flagship AMD GFX card with Bulldozer then you can compete with i7 - the data line for AMD is a composite of CPU and GPPU and still the i7 annihilates Bulldozer)

AMD are just dead and it is time to accept it. They are 5 minutes from declaring bankruptcy and have not produced a viable or impressive product in nearly a decade now. While people may wail and moan, arguing that being the fastest does not equal being the best, having a flagship product that can even compete with Intel or Nvidia is still that thing that gains them any hope of having a real market share and that has not happened since the days of the GeForce FX.

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 00:31 
Illiterate (13)
Well, we just have to wait and see. There's still the point that production models of Bulldozer are 3 steppings advanced from what the slide's creators could POSSIBLY have tested, for the reason AMD themselves have stated as 'The performance was not good enough', and the fact that that slide was not talked about much after a week. Lots of slide like that appear, and most are fake, so I see no reason to think it is real. I think everyone should be hoping it does well, though, otherwise Intel will have a monopoly on the CPU industry (Unless ARM come in) and then we will have to pay through the nose for all our PCs.

However, I've been following the developments very closely for the last 8 months and learning as much as I can about how CPUs work. This, and in-industry contacts (Courtesy of my Uncle) tell me that they should be very fast, at least competing with Sandy-Bridge, if not Ivy-Bridge. They *shouldn't* have all the problems of the previous generations because it is a totally new concept. Nothing like it has been tried before, and the clock speeds are high, very high compared to the last 4 years. On top of all of this, AMD have leaked that Bulldozer should be at least 50% per core aster than the last of the Phenom II range, so that along puts them right into Sandy-Bridge league. Even if they do lose the CPU war though, AMD aren't going to be declaring bankruptcy any time soon. Their Llano APUs have been exactly what was promised and are selling extremely well, they made a very healthy return last year, and they have their entire Graphics subdivision ATI to fall back onto, and in graphics they have been totally dominating the last couple of years.

You seem to be putting too much stock into the Flagship models as well, when they are only a tiny proportion of the sales. Until Sandy-Bridge came along this year, AMD had by far the best power/cost ratio, and it reflected in their sales figures, which by volume were a lot higher than Intel's. Then Sandy-Bridge kicked them in the rear...

At the end of it all, I'm a scientist, and will build with whatever turns out to be faster. I have to say, though, that you sound an awful lot like a simple Intel-Fanboi, if more clued-up than most, and last time AMD did something new an awful lot of people saying the same things as you were eating humble pie for the next four years... We have to wait and see. Which sucks :/

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 12:13 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Get a CoolerMaster :59

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 12:17 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ShadowKnight wrote:
Well, we just have to wait and see. There's still the point that production models of Bulldozer are 3 steppings advanced from what the slide's creators could POSSIBLY have tested, for the reason AMD themselves have stated as 'The performance was not good enough', and the fact that that slide was not talked about much after a week. Lots of slide like that appear, and most are fake, so I see no reason to think it is real. I think everyone should be hoping it does well, though, otherwise Intel will have a monopoly on the CPU industry (Unless ARM come in) and then we will have to pay through the nose for all our PCs.

However, I've been following the developments very closely for the last 8 months and learning as much as I can about how CPUs work. This, and in-industry contacts (Courtesy of my Uncle) tell me that they should be very fast, at least competing with Sandy-Bridge, if not Ivy-Bridge. They *shouldn't* have all the problems of the previous generations because it is a totally new concept. Nothing like it has been tried before, and the clock speeds are high, very high compared to the last 4 years. On top of all of this, AMD have leaked that Bulldozer should be at least 50% per core aster than the last of the Phenom II range, so that along puts them right into Sandy-Bridge league. Even if they do lose the CPU war though, AMD aren't going to be declaring bankruptcy any time soon. Their Llano APUs have been exactly what was promised and are selling extremely well, they made a very healthy return last year, and they have their entire Graphics subdivision ATI to fall back onto, and in graphics they have been totally dominating the last couple of years.

You seem to be putting too much stock into the Flagship models as well, when they are only a tiny proportion of the sales. Until Sandy-Bridge came along this year, AMD had by far the best power/cost ratio, and it reflected in their sales figures, which by volume were a lot higher than Intel's. Then Sandy-Bridge kicked them in the rear...

At the end of it all, I'm a scientist, and will build with whatever turns out to be faster. I have to say, though, that you sound an awful lot like a simple Intel-Fanboi, if more clued-up than most, and last time AMD did something new an awful lot of people saying the same things as you were eating humble pie for the next four years... We have to wait and see. Which sucks :/

Heh - Oh no, I agree with you: you go with what's best. I was just winding you up as I though you were an AMD fan boy :lol:

I used AMD for years and I genuinely hope they get their shit together as a) alternatives are good and b) Intel need the competition. Their finances do like dire however. I know thye technically made some money the last few quarters but overall they are still WAY into the red. Also ATI are worth even less than they are and are dragging them firther down/ I hope they come back from all this but I just doubt they can manage it. :(

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 15:05 
Has learned to write! (217)
Get a lian li

de 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 17:28 
Doesn't get out much (357)
the case definately deserves a good thought. a good one can squeeze out a lot of perfomance!

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2011, 23:07 
Illiterate (13)
Lol Howard. Damn straight they need the competition, or we'll never hear the end of it :roll:

Yer, as you may be able to see from the photos, my current case is a Coolermaster Storm Sniper, which has served me well and I like, but while it wouldn't be bad to simply buy that again, I have money and I want to go with something totally top of the range, which is why I am looking at the 800D. The Phantom is on the list because it is just plain sexy :) Lian Li's are very, very expensive, and from what I have seen while they were worth it a few years ago, nowadays the same 'Exclusive Features' are appearing on cheaper cases, and they also don't appeal to me as much aesthetically.

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 02:33 
Has no REAL life! (5288)
I've never understood windows in cases, why not just have a fan there instead.

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 11:09 
Has no REAL life! (8841)
[SpA]Minimoose! wrote:
I've never understood windows in cases, why not just have a fan there instead.
what?! cause apple is so much better :roll: :roll: :roll:

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 18:24 
Has no REAL life! (5288)

gb 
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011, 19:56 
Illiterate (13)
Hey Howard, Google 'FX-8150' to see the news that the new CPU has totally smashed the Overclocking World Record, hitting ~8.4GHz on Helium... Also, new slides have emerged showing ~10% less performance compared to an i7-990x on the B0 pre-production stepping. Retail should be even faster, so it looks like the $300 FX-8150 might beat the $1600 i7-990X. On the other hand, performance benchmarks of Ivy-Bridge have also emerged, and it is looking very, very impressive...