Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:11

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 05:17 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
What do you think? A selfless, touching campaign? Or pro-war propaganda? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go search it up.

With all the issues that critics have raised about what the video is inciting people to do, it's kind of disturbing. People will buy into a 'story' and call for something quite heavy just after seeing a video. The big deal of having new media is to have access to a vast amount of sources and information, I'm sure you've noticed it's turned your facebook friendlist to overnight activists, so perhaps the means are there for supporting something truly good, but what damage will Kony 2012 do to this? Will people ever put their weight behind a 'good' cause again?

nl 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 07:54 
Has learned to write! (182)
I understand out of all of it that kony is the number one on the list of war crime for a long time and the authorities knew about him for times.
But they just cant reach them, they cant find him.
Although this is good since everyone knows about it know and that will put pressure on the authorities.

Hoped this made sence :) My thoughts

au 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 09:27 
Has no REAL life! (1481)
I think that, while the message is good, the motives are in the wrong place. The Ugandan Government is incredibly corrupt, and they've been said to be viewed in more fear than Kony by a lot of people. According to some independent sources, who supposedly interviewed the areas where Invisible Children were operating, IC has been viewed as negligent and rather, well, dodgy in terms of what it's been doing. That is to say, no other "Jacob"s were found, and nobody wanted to discuss anything to do with Invisible Children. There's even an interview with Kony by some random journalist, he's not your average maniacal child-massacring masochist.

He's trying to forge democracy in uganda, apparently. I'm not saying I believe him, and personally I think he's out to grab power for himself under the front of democracy. But some of the local villages in areas where he has had his operations (DRC, CAR, Uganda, etc) actually view him as a freedom-fighter and a hero. He maintains that most of the figures coughed up were propaganda from the Ugandan government, which is something I also doubt. He says that a lot of the people who fight for him are loyal and volunteered, and during the interview this journalist guy didn't see a single person under 20 in the encampment.

Overall it's very complex and controversial issue, and it's very obvious that everyone involved is lying to some extent. Only question is, who's motives are what?

IC has very questionable figures in terms of its "not-for-profit" funding, and there were no independent auditors for it. idk, seems a little off to me. The Ugandan government is often criticized for its high corruption, and supposedly there's a lot of election rigging going on to make sure the same agenda is maintained. Kony's been fighting the ugandan government for 25-odd years, and to my knowledge this whole "only reason he's fighting is to stay in power" idea perpetuated through social media isn't telling the whole truth.

Meh, that's all I really know about it.

Edit: Oh, and Kony's not been in uganda for three years or something. He's in hiding after america sent advisers to uganda.

se 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 11:30 
Has no REAL life! (1120)
provenguilt wrote:
I understand out of all of it that kony is the number one on the list of war crime for a long time and the authorities knew about him for times.
Although this is good since everyone knows about it know and that will put pressure on the authorities.

The naivete of this post made me genuinly upset. In reality, no one with the power to make a change (no, not you and any charitable donations) gives a rat's ass about this

fi 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 13:06 
Has learned to write! (152)
The day I watched this video I had a interesting visit with my class. I am studying social services, so as a part of this course we visited a transit unit for homeless foreign teenagers. All of them had different story's, but main theme was that they did not feel safe at home and they had to get out similarly what Jacob said. These kids are from multiple countries and not even sure if there has been kids from Uganda there. There are problems with children safety in other countries too.
After watching the kony video I thought instead of sticking stickers and spammin kony vids everywhere, I would try to support the system we have here in my home country. Support the services that help these children who escape their countries to be safe. Maybe this way we can hope to influence other countries too or at least say hey we can help over here. Every child deserves to be safe... it's a child's right. :wink:

gb 
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 14:54 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
provenguilt wrote:

I think you're kinder of missing the issue here, this campaign is funding the Ugandan army which are allegedly not much better the Kony, and have been known to rape and loot. This army might never find Kony, and use the aid provided to them for their own ends. People are watching a video without researching the background of the problem and calling for action, when they don't even know what's really happening, and what they're really supporting.

Funny thing is, so many of these people were probably opposed to the Iraq war, they could easily make a video showing you what the Taliban does to children over there.