PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 02:42 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Hmm, maybe...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407046,00.asp

ca 
 Post subject: Re: Open source console
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 02:54 
Geek (776)
Well, if it ever does reach the market, I am buying it.

us 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 04:24 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
I would too, as I like android, but no way in hell i'm funding them if they are already 5 times past their expectations.

be 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2012, 13:25 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
I think I saw a video of totalbiscuit, saying that they claim they have a prototype but that he wants them to actually show the prototype work.

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 11:26 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
All well and good but fundamentally flawed. Consoles live and die on franchises - its the nature of the beast. You have to have a dev team tied to you financially for your platform to sell and with this being open source and having precisely zero interest in the industry, you gotta ask what is going to sell it? Daffy, retro games are fine for Humble Bundles and Steam sales but basing a whole platform on them seems foolish.
Not to say that I don't wish them luck. Anything that draws money away from the certified industry destruction that is xbox and the pure, unbridled idiocy that in Nintendo is a good thing.

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 12:38 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I still don't understand why we still have PC vs console, when consoles are essentially becoming personal computers. Make a hybrid of the two, make it available to the entire household via wireless, and then you can have your PC upstairs, while you play Sonic All Star Generation Heroes episode II in your living room.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 00:43 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
I still don't understand why we still have PC vs console, when consoles are essentially becoming personal computers. Make a hybrid of the two, make it available to the entire household via wireless, and then you can have your PC upstairs, while you play Sonic All Star Generation Heroes episode II in your living room.
A noble idea but we are still many years away from it as a reality.

The differential is that there is no such thing as PC - its not a standard unit and therefore not quantifiable or marketable. Also consoles are not there to push boundaries or expand the medium in anyway, they are there to win a dick waving contest between their individual manufacturers.

That being said, PC hardware is normalising at a very fast rate but as long as Laptops, the main stay of modern home computing, are still woefully underpowered and staggeringly unreliable as gaming machines we wont get far. Technology needs to plateau before hardware can become unified

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 02:23 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
I have a feeling they'll drag consoles out for greed's sake. What I'm getting at though is a closer unity between the two rather than doing away with consoles altogether. I mean with consoles able to stream films and browse the web it may as well be stipped down PC anyway, and for majority of people that would a be a very cheap solution for casual gaming and internet browsing, rather than them needing a console and netbook. Plus with wireless aswell, it doesn't all have to be in one spot, it could be hooked up to the TV downstairs and your desk upstairs, or vice versa. A few years ago, I honestly expected most people to have home media servers by now, but no it's still arkward and seperated.

gb 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 09:20 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]JuncoPartner wrote:
I have a feeling they'll drag consoles out for greed's sake. What I'm getting at though is a closer unity between the two rather than doing away with consoles altogether. I mean with consoles able to stream films and browse the web it may as well be stipped down PC anyway, and for majority of people that would a be a very cheap solution for casual gaming and internet browsing, rather than them needing a console and netbook. Plus with wireless aswell, it doesn't all have to be in one spot, it could be hooked up to the TV downstairs and your desk upstairs, or vice versa. A few years ago, I honestly expected most people to have home media servers by now, but no it's still arkward and seperated.
Well I have one :4

But you are right. While it will not happen ever with xbox due to their idiotic, paranoid, proprietorial stance on their hard and software there is no reason it should not happen with PS3/4. Even if they don't want to draw a line between their machines and home computers gaming wise, I am still baffled as to why they haven't done so for other media. Then again, the design behind PS3 was very different at the start, incorporating far more streaming technology and even a gigabit switch, so it is clearly something they intended to do before they got lost, neck deep in this idiotic slap fight with xbox.

xbox really does fuck everything up...

au 
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 10:01 
Has no REAL life! (1481)
Perhaps microsoft and ps3 should start considering customers instead of competition again

that's too much to hope for, i guess.