Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:59

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 14:12 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
This game came out a few weeks back and seems to have been largely ignored on the PC front, both by gamers and reviewers alike, but I am posting this to encourage people to give it a go.
Now, a quick bit of history to give context to my thoughts: While I have played many, many types and genres of shooters over the years, the more "hardcore", military types such as the original Ghost Recon, Raven Shield and SWAT 4 hold a dear place in my heart. I spent a simply ludicrous amount of time playing all those game cooperatively with a bunch of guys I used to work with and we all loved the difficulty of them and the fact that you had to had to be genuinely tactical in your approach to them. Unfortunately, passing years saw the Ghost Recon name go to hell. First the xbox only GR2 that was half a step away from being a lightgun game the the (imo) utterly DIRE Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1/2, so, especially with this being a 3rd person game, released simultaneously on console, I had pretty much lost hope that it would be worth my time.

Then I got to play it and was, flatly, very surprised. Now, this is a different take on the war-sim type of game. First up, its 3rd person, but I, someone who normally hates TPS games, was able to get by that. Second up, instead of taking the approach to making a Sim-FPS that people usually take, i.e. make it difficult to control, intolerably hard/harsh and with all its style swapped for substance, this game has gone a different way.

As it is set in the future, you are afforded a whole range of fantastical, though fairly believable, gadgets from drones to EMP grenades (yes, credulity did groan a little there from how far it was stretched) to short-range, localised scanning to allow the Ghosts to see through solid objects, and by and large these are good additions that do not break immersion or seem to be tacked on simply for show. The main gadget of note is a cloaking device (sort of like the one in Predator, but less perfect) that can be activated only so long as you are stationary or move very slowly, and even then it is only somewhat effective. The largest change, however, is in the style of play, and I for one was glad of it. One of the things that always annoys me in games of this type, where I am dropped into the shoes of some super-capable, tech rich, highly trained killing machine with 20 years of experience, is that I am generally not as adept as advertised. I always feel like I should be able to do far more, be far harder, move far more quickly and use my guns far more efficiently than I do. The early Splinter Cell games are a good example of this. Sam Fisher, an experimental, nano-augmented cyber-killer who is sent in to do wet-work at the arsehole of the world and who has survived on his own through countless encounters, was constantly ending up dead on my screen simply because, as a character, he lacked options. The latest Splinter Cell addressed that, making Sam a bad ass who could tear people up with his bear hands and leap between cover as a man who has done this for 30 years and been surgically altered for specifically that task aught to be able. It added a very visceral edge, fully putting you in the shoes of the man claimed to be the greatest spy ever.

GR:FS does much the same thing as it is made in the same engine by the same studio. Instead of having to jog without manually between cover, you get a floating reticule that lets you, by merely holding a button, tear at massive speed between obstacles, your gun always ready. Similarly, while some will no doubt argue that the gun/shooting mechanics are simplified, I would suggest that they are in fact simply acknowledging the skill of the protagonist. The guy you are playing is part of Ghost Recon, an elite, hyper funded, utterly deniable asset that has been through all of the best training available to the only super power left in this world.
What would have been long, drawn out street battles, where your character limped between cover, desperately waiting for your reticule to steady out so you could make the shot, becomes a fast, furious, blast of a combat seen were shell casings fall like rain fmo the enemy but through which you slip like a ghost in the night, always ahead of them, always faster than them, always better than them.

In short, its very different, but I think its a good different. Given a chance I think it would entertain both the hardcore sim-FPS crowd but still be a good lot of fun for the more casual player. As of yet I cannot comment on the multi-player side as my copy...well let's just leave it at I "haven't played it yet". :lol:

And now some music screenshots:

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 22:52 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
I really enjoyed Tom Clancy's Vegas 2. Is it similar to that?

ca 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 23:27 
Geek (776)
I always enjoyed the Clancy games. I had rainbow 6 lock down and ghost recon 1 on the game cube. I was terrible at them though :lol:.

gb 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2012, 23:47 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
[SpA]annarack wrote:
I really enjoyed Tom Clancy's Vegas 2. Is it similar to that?
Well its not a million miles from it. Imagine that game but a lot faster and far more frenetic then interspersed with incredible stealth scenes and whole levels you have to completely ghost.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 03:17 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
The first video they released about this game was around e3 2010/2011 and after seeing that gameplay trailer I was excited as anything for it, but after that it went down hill for me. The graphics had changed a lot since they released the video I'm not sure if the game was rushed after all it had been pushed back further and further for different reasons, But after all the wait and the whole thing of them boasting about the kinect abilities I just went off of it, maybe I will give it a chance but for the moment im notthat interested in it, in my view the last good Tom Clancy game was splinter Cell conviction and I don't think another splinter cell game will ever beat that but before I go off on an all caps rage about the next splinter cell, all I'm going to say about FS is that it changed and I don't like how it became.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 12:36 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ells551 wrote:
The first video they released about this game was around e3 2010/2011 and after seeing that gameplay trailer I was excited as anything for it, but after that it went down hill for me. The graphics had changed a lot since they released the video I'm not sure if the game was rushed after all it had been pushed back further and further for different reasons, But after all the wait and the whole thing of them boasting about the kinect abilities I just went off of it, maybe I will give it a chance but for the moment im notthat interested in it, in my view the last good Tom Clancy game was splinter Cell conviction and I don't think another splinter cell game will ever beat that but before I go off on an all caps rage about the next splinter cell, all I'm going to say about FS is that it changed and I don't like how it became.
Now see, I just don't get this. I noticed that there was a huge amount of wailing and moaning about the E3 2010 demos being nothing like the final game but I have no idea where it is coming from. That demo showed a level that was cut from the game, but it is the same damned game! Sure, they changed some features and some of the GUI but that level on the beach is definitely the same game I played.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 15:11 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Now see, I just don't get this. I noticed that there was a huge amount of wailing and moaning about the E3 2010 demos being nothing like the final game but I have no idea where it is coming from. That demo showed a level that was cut from the game, but it is the same damned game! Sure, they changed some features and some of the GUI but that level on the beach is definitely the same game I played.
Well maybe the video for the e3 demo was much more clean cut and had a better editor or somthing but to me the game seemed to just change which was weird it seemed that the graphics of the game had suddenly changed and became crap, the only problem I see is everyone being invisible on the multiplayer but other than that I just think the game seemed to just change but I will look at it and see if it's just the videos they produced and not the actual game.

gb 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 18:58 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ells551 wrote:
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Well maybe the video for the e3 demo was much more clean cut and had a better editor or somthing but to me the game seemed to just change which was weird it seemed that the graphics of the game had suddenly changed and became crap, the only problem I see is everyone being invisible on the multiplayer but other than that I just think the game seemed to just change but I will look at it and see if it's just the videos they produced and not the actual game.

There were some demo reals at E3 '20 that showed a very clean curt looking render style but those were (blatantly, even at the time) CGI and nothing to do with the actual game. They were just showing some of the ideas the game would eventually contain. The beach level looks exactly like the game I played. Most people online are moaning about the GFX but you know why I suspect that is? Most people have shit PCs and could nto run it maxxed out. :wink:

EDIT - and ells, if you liked the direction SC: Conviction took, you'll like this :16

gb 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 21:35 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
There were some demo reals at E3 '20 that showed a very clean curt looking render style but those were (blatantly, even at the time) CGI and nothing to do with the actual game. They were just showing some of the ideas the game would eventually contain. The beach level looks exactly like the game I played. Most people online are moaning about the GFX but you know why I suspect that is? Most people have shit PCs and could nto run it maxxed out. :wink:

EDIT - and ells, if you liked the direction SC: Conviction took, you'll like this :16
The video I saw was the beach scene, but I think I know what it was, the video I saw of the beach scene I think was played on pc therefore looked much better (HUD ect ect) but I think the other videos I saw was played on console so they had worse graphics, that's the only reason I can think of as the screenshots have the same look as the beach scene video, and yep I liked SC conviction a lot, best one in my opinion way better than the stupid new game that is coming out what were they... anyway so yes I will check out FS it does seem good and I have liked graw and graw 2. Multiplayer isn't a huge problem for me as im more of a campaign person but this game seems like a blast from the past so why not check it out :D