Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:12

All times are UTC+02:00

gb 
 Post subject: The New SMP Server
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 15:22 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
OK guys, we are nearly there. The map and most of the stuff required in it is built, I am just foraging around, trying to get a selection of plugins downloaded and playing nicely together.

In doing this I am discovering that a LOT of the stuff we use is dead and one of those that is dying is Residence. Now this may not be an issue as Residence causes more issues that it solves so I am looking for a replacement and currently I am thinking that Towny may be the better option.

Here is the link to it. Go have a read and let me know what you think:
http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/towny-advanced/

at 
 Post subject: Re: The New SMP Server
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 16:08 
Geek (749)
Those are some really nice features that towny has, I think that would be a wonderful replacement for what we had before.

lb 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 16:31 
Pretty useless (62)
it seams very nice, better then res in a lot, i say it would be nice to have it :4

fi 
PostPosted: 15 Aug 2012, 17:10 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
I could've been the first to comment, but my phone didn't load the "reply" button, boohoo. Firstfagging is nice...

Anywee, Towny seems very nice. It can well replace /res and it takes a stance on "player towns" as well. I know you, Howard, hate player towns. With this plugin they can become more organized and hopefully less idgets have the need to make their own ghost town. Not bad for economy either, with taxes and shit (if iConomy or similar is used).

The site doesn't respond at the moment, but here's a little text from its Wiki:
Quote:
Towny is a plugin for a Bukkit modded Minecraft server. The plugin itself is a manager for a Resident-Town-Nation hierarchy, as well as a block permission manager for a grid-like protection system. Each town has a mayor, while a nation has a king. They both have their own assistants to help run their respective people. Players can also purchase land from the town, as well as an optional daily tax set by the mayor. The player can allow his friends from out of town to build on his land when even his very own town's people can't build if he so wishes.

The bases of protection follows under how the world is separated into chunks. For those unaware, minecraft servers are broken up into 16x16x128 sections of blocks. The 128 being the height from the adimantium floor to the clouds in the sky. The protection ignores the height an focuses on the x and z planes. The default size for grid squares is 16x16, similar to the chunk size (configurable when you start using towny). So claiming a townblock (a grid square) allows that section of land to follow your town's or the plot owner's permissions.

Each town can claim up to a certain amount of townblocks, a set ratio or amount configured in the setting that is relative to the amount of players taking residence in that town. Residents themselves have no limit on how many they claim, however the daily tax (when using alongside iConomy) will take a bite out of their resources. The money is tunneled to the town's bank account that only the mayor can withdraw from, except if the town belongs to a nation. Any town belonging to a nation may be required to pay the nation a daily upkeep as well.

The gods of the land (admins) have the ability to start and end wartime mode. During war, most commands are frozen in order to focus on the event. Whilst at war, block permissions are ignored and any town that is in a nation is completely unprotected to the other nations residents. Also, each cell, or townblock, is given a certain amount of health. When a non-allied player enters the townblock, the townblock's health decreases. The town's residents have to force the player's out while still attacking others. When the health reaches zero, the town loses claim over that townblock. The focus is to defeat the each town's home block where the town's people spawn from.
Controlled towns with a controlled PvP system. Sounds ideal. Live outside a protected area and risk getting destroyed, simple.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 13:49 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Oh well then. Three whole people agree.

All sorted...

:roll:

at 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 13:51 
Geek (749)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Oh well then. Three whole people agree.

All sorted...

:roll:
Well the people were given a chance to voice their opinions, if they complain afterwards then it's just there fault for not viewing the forums.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 14:04 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
True enough, but I already get more complaints than is sensible so I'd rather not actively try and make more.

Anyway - its not that easy a decision after all. We still need to protect server owned builds and doing that with Towny is less straight forward. I'll be playing around with it in the coming days so we'll see.

One thing to consider about Towny: I do NOT like the idea of Guests being able to set up their own towns. That means that either they have to team up with other players or they end up with no protections. Could be tricky.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 14:08 
Has learned to write! (209)
When I first joined a Server with Towny I didn't understand how it worked, I still don't. When I asked how it worked or any other question to do with it i was left unanswered. I then left. I think as long as it was implemented with a basic explanation at spawn it'd be okay.
But yeah, i've not had a good experience with the plugin :D.

Edit: as a non regular i couldn't join a town as no one would let me and i couldn't afford the extortionate prices to set up one for myself and was left to fend for myself, open to grief.

[01:44]aaanythiNG:I just donatedto SpA
[01:44]aaanythiNG:Because I love Jam
[01:45]Tigerdragon180:i love you in a non gay way jam
[01:45]GreatBuilder3:i love you in a gay way jam
Jawz13:P.S I Love Jam

Last edited by Jam ezzz on 16 Aug 2012, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 14:09 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Jam ezzz wrote:
When I first joined a Server with Towny I didn't understand how it worked, I still don't. When I asked how it worked or any other question to do with it i was left unanswered. I then left. I think as long as it was implemented with a basic explanation at spawn it'd be okay.
But yeah, i've not had a good experience with the plugin :D.
Well the same could be said for res. The main difference is that Towny is a shit load easier to use. I guess we might just have to suck it and see.

fi 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 15:23 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
--

One thing to consider about Towny: I do NOT like the idea of Guests being able to set up their own towns. That means that either they have to team up with other players or they end up with no protections. Could be tricky.
Just blatantly create "accidents" that destroy the towns or make it obligatory to apply for a new town on the forums (with e.g. four other willing people, of which at least one must be R or M)? Endless possibilities... Or not...

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 18:49 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
Why not just put it in the temp server and see how it gets on. ???

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 00:35 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ells551 wrote:

Fair point. I'll run a local test first tomorrow when I have finished moving builds around on the final map. If anyone is up for helping out test the plugins then give me a yell when you see me on IRC

at 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 09:09 
Geek (749)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
ells551 wrote:

Fair point. I'll run a local test first tomorrow when I have finished moving builds around on the final map. If anyone is up for helping out test the plugins then give me a yell when you see me on IRC
I will most certainly like to test out towny, so whenever it's up just send me a pm.

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 19:00 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
Ok initial tests of Towny were very good. It looks like it is the plugins for us. Right now though I am still being held back by other issues. None of Sk8's plugins are updated, AcceptRules died and - well the list goes on. The next day or so will be spent fiddling with economy plugins (yeah - they all died too) and balancing mob bounties against the cost of Towns in Towny. We need to ensure that people are able to survive on what they can reasonably earn.

In a nutshell though, its looking good. Towny fixes a whole host of issues and we are just left to iron out some details.

fi 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 21:09 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]Howard wrote:
Ok initial tests of Towny were very good. It looks like it is the plugins for us. Right now though I am still being held back by other issues. None of Sk8's plugins are updated, AcceptRules died and - well the list goes on. The next day or so will be spent fiddling with economy plugins (yeah - they all died too) and balancing mob bounties against the cost of Towns in Towny. We need to ensure that people are able to survive on what they can reasonably earn.

In a nutshell though, its looking good. Towny fixes a whole host of issues and we are just left to iron out some details.
Sounds like a plan! I think we can keep the players busy until an acceptable number of plugins are in a mood for working.

gb 
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2012, 23:06 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
The temp server is going well, personally i would rather we iron out as much as possible so we end up with a good server, glad everything is going well.

gb 
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 00:52 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
ells551 wrote:
The temp server is going well, personally i would rather we iron out as much as possible so we end up with a good server, glad everything is going well.
Yeah exactly - there is no great rush so I will make sure the server is working before we trash what we have.

us 
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012, 06:13 
Pretty useless (64)
:shock: you guy's are doing a Great job... Absolutely cant wait for the new 1.3 map

[13:53] <@_9mmNL_> what to do what to doooo
[13:54] <@_9mmNL_> time to poo in wankins shoe

us 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 18:21 
Illiterate (10)
I would love to help build anything for the new server. i have an idea for homeworld, but i haven't finished making the plans yet.

at 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 19:19 
Geek (749)
Maximus wrote:
I would love to help build anything for the new server. i have an idea for homeworld, but i haven't finished making the plans yet.
Spawn seems to be already built if I'm not wrong.

nl 
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 20:30 
Has no REAL life! (1240)
ihasfire wrote:
Maximus wrote:
Spawn seems to be already built if I'm not wrong.
It's not only building that needs to be done.. :evil: