Multi-Gaming Community
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:09

All times are UTC+02:00

us 
 Post subject: The new map?
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 05:33 
Pretty useless (78)
I don't really know what's going to happen when ever about SpA smp minecraft cause of I haven't been keeping up with specialattack due to the temp map and how I've gotten griefed a ridiculous amount of times. I don't really know why would ever think of changing the way it was; Bedlam was a perfect solution to keep ass holes and griefers there, Thus making good people (for the most part) want to register and continue on the server. Then we made the subject the server is dieing? I've been on several times when there is just me and like 15 other guests...? How is that making the server "dieing"? I just don't think anyone has noticed; they just see a gray name and say "who gives a fuck". I do think that guest should be able to lock like 3 chests, but let tnt be able to blow up the chests to actually make tnt worth something; adding something to the economy. So that yah guest would get some protection but it still keeps the element of PvP there, and they can't spam locked doors all over the place... and hell if there's a locked chest someone is going to blow the shit out of it to get the stuff
, thus eliminating all the locked chests and doors worried about... To be honest I do not see why we are going to play just one map? How will this solve anything? Most guest quit cause they're "bored" aka lost imagination, and whens the last time you've seen someone quit cause they got killed or raided? (Not that much) Doesn't anyone think about how many griefers there are in minecraft? That's like saying there is no terrorism in the world! Guess what there is... I do not think that we should have something like the market in the old map though, but we could have shops around the map so you have to travel there thus keeping the market decent and not ridiculous.... The spawn in the last map was SIMPLE I mean it was pretty much a straight fucking walk! I don't think we want idiots that cant read or press "w" on our server.... but I guess that's your opinions that think that spawn is too complex... The spawn was amazing! It looked great and gave a good first look for the guests about what the servers about. Hard work, a lot of imagination, and friendly gaming. We even guest-proofed the spawn, and still most the people where retarded.. I don't think I spawn can get any more simpler than it was.. and it sure wont get simpler than it was, or it won't look as good as the old spawn and wont really showcase our server like before. I hope you got some ideas from this and thanks for reading it all, and may someone help me catch up on what is being talked about?

[Halexboom8] ^^Cat likes those things.

fi 
 Post subject: Re: The new map?
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 06:53 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Hate to break this to you, but you're a bit late with this. The decisions have been made already and the new map will be released in no time.

http://forum.specialattack.net/viewforum.php?f=180 - just scroll and investigate :L

I have to admit that it always took me ten minutes or so to get out of the Spawn the first few times. Derp. I ended up swimming all the way somewhere where I found land, getting stuck everywhere and dying from starvation. It was a daystallion.

BTW, ever heard of paragraphing? :D

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 11:29 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
adog114 wrote:
I don't really know what's going to happen when ever about SpA smp minecraft cause of I haven't been keeping up with specialattack due to the temp map and how I've gotten griefed a ridiculous amount of times. I don't really know why would ever think of changing the way it was; Bedlam was a perfect solution to keep ass holes and griefers there, Thus making good people (for the most part) want to register and continue on the server. Then we made the subject the server is dieing? I've been on several times when there is just me and like 15 other guests...? How is that making the server "dieing"? I just don't think anyone has noticed; they just see a gray name and say "who gives a fuck". I do think that guest should be able to lock like 3 chests, but let tnt be able to blow up the chests to actually make tnt worth something; adding something to the economy. So that yah guest would get some protection but it still keeps the element of PvP there, and they can't spam locked doors all over the place... and hell if there's a locked chest someone is going to blow the shit out of it to get the stuff
, thus eliminating all the locked chests and doors worried about... To be honest I do not see why we are going to play just one map? How will this solve anything? Most guest quit cause they're "bored" aka lost imagination, and whens the last time you've seen someone quit cause they got killed or raided? (Not that much) Doesn't anyone think about how many griefers there are in minecraft? That's like saying there is no terrorism in the world! Guess what there is... I do not think that we should have something like the market in the old map though, but we could have shops around the map so you have to travel there thus keeping the market decent and not ridiculous.... The spawn in the last map was SIMPLE I mean it was pretty much a straight fucking walk! I don't think we want idiots that cant read or press "w" on our server.... but I guess that's your opinions that think that spawn is too complex... The spawn was amazing! It looked great and gave a good first look for the guests about what the servers about. Hard work, a lot of imagination, and friendly gaming. We even guest-proofed the spawn, and still most the people where retarded.. I don't think I spawn can get any more simpler than it was.. and it sure wont get simpler than it was, or it won't look as good as the old spawn and wont really showcase our server like before. I hope you got some ideas from this and thanks for reading it all, and may someone help me catch up on what is being talked about?

adog - I agree with you utterly.

The last map was the perfect solution, but a solution no one uses serves no purpose. For whatever reason the OPs hated the map and abandoned it long ago and the members and "R"s that stuck around abused the living shit out of Bedlam, turning into their sporting ground in which they could hunt guests and grief the shit out of them.

Everyone fucked up, failed to do their job or utterly abused their position and so the map emptied and guests stopped coming so posts were made to point this out. A push was made fora new map and a new spawn and a new way of doing things. I argued this out for months but, as usual, no one really took an interest or offered any kind of workable solution, so again, I had to make a decision.

The new map will be here in a few days. Is it as good a solution as the last? No, not at all. Will the implementation of Towny cause more screaming, wailing and gnashing of teeth than the universe has ever seen? You betcha. Are we utterly without OPs and have we shed 90% of out Members? Absolutely.

The new map is a good solution but it is a difficult one - far, far, FAR more difficult than Bedlam. The New Spawn that has been built to replace mine is BIGGER than my spawn and filled with so many things that even I can't find my way around and, between the portaling system and Towny's Spawn system, I am confident that the market prices will die in a record time.

But I guess we'll see. I can only steer this server so much. People have to turn up and play or turn up and act like OPs. Nothing I can do to force that.

us 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 12:01 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
I wouldn't say we're out of OPs at all. Speaking to a few, they simply are tired of the temp map. They will be back.

Also, it wasn't perfect. In theory yes; but as you said, no one "did" their part. I don't think it should be anyones job to stick around a spawn that they don't like.

When a guests says "I'm being griefed" we didn't do anything about it because it was allowed in bedlam. That was boring as.an OP, I don't like to build, and having 75% of my work cut out, eventlly made me lose interest, as others did.

This map isn't going to do any harm. Its thought out and planned, even if some features I feel are quite over the top(SwearJar :P).

If someone complains about having to help users, then they aren't a good OP.

gb 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 13:16 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
bubbajim3 wrote:
I wouldn't say we're out of OPs at all. Speaking to a few, they simply are tired of the temp map. They will be back.

Also, it wasn't perfect. In theory yes; but as you said, no one "did" their part. I don't think it should be anyones job to stick around a spawn that they don't like.

When a guests says "I'm being griefed" we didn't do anything about it because it was allowed in bedlam. That was boring as.an OP, I don't like to build, and having 75% of my work cut out, eventlly made me lose interest, as others did.

This map isn't going to do any harm. Its thought out and planned, even if some features I feel are quite over the top(SwearJar :P).

If someone complains about having to help users, then they aren't a good OP.
No one was asked to hang around spawn: doing so would have served no purpose. sure grief was high in Bedlam but that was not the issue. T He issue was Members and OPs deliberately setting out to ruin Guest's fun, trashing their builds and PVPing them until they were forced off the server. I am still appalled by how this so called community behaved towards its guests and the fact that people stopped visiting us was entirely the community's fault.

As to the design: it was perfect. The failure of people to grasp that does not alter the fact. As I have said a thousand times, the idea was formulated through careful study fo what you guys claimed you want but it was never embraced. Bedlam was not a prison to which we relegate guests but rather a chance to have an area that worked like the Temp maps - the maps that you lot claim you adored so much. And yet no one built there. No one visited it to do anything other than vandalise it and abuse the guests and their behaviour was nothing short of sickening.

Also don't tell me the OPs are bored of the temp map. The temp map is still our server and I still expect them to do their damned job. Most OPs had left LONG before the temp map even showed up and only returned briefly when it did.

us 
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012, 21:03 
Has no REAL life! (1700)
Entirely the communities fault? Are you that naive? Grant you, we made some of the decisions, but when stuff started going down hill you took the reigns and steered it down the hill.

Your use for Minecraft is almost non-existent, and it shows. The new map, as it is, SHOULD work. Just like the map we had before SHOULD have worked, it didn't. Boo-hoo, we move on. The next map, has no positive feedback from anyone, and people plan to go into a new map that's plain shit. A message to everyone: The map is fine, "It's Howard."

Your idea of OPs going out and trashing people's houses, shouldn't have mattered because of the rules set, bedlam had no rules. Yes they are OPs, but as I said, alot of our job was cut out, we were bored as shit, that's why we all left eventually. And also, we all know, thank you(howard) have had your fair share of destroying houses.

You call the design perfect, it's IS only perfect, if every grasps it. We knew going into the new map, that our guests were younger, and at times can have a hard time understanding. We thought that spawn was fucking great, because we knew how minecraft worked, they don't. We changed it.

gb 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 02:07 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
bubbajim3 wrote:
Entirely the communities fault? Are you that naive? Grant you, we made some of the decisions, but when stuff started going down hill you took the reigns and steered it down the hill.

Your use for Minecraft is almost non-existent, and it shows. The new map, as it is, SHOULD work. Just like the map we had before SHOULD have worked, it didn't. Boo-hoo, we move on. The next map, has no positive feedback from anyone, and people plan to go into a new map that's plain shit. A message to everyone: The map is fine, "It's Howard."

Your idea of OPs going out and trashing people's houses, shouldn't have mattered because of the rules set, bedlam had no rules. Yes they are OPs, but as I said, alot of our job was cut out, we were bored as shit, that's why we all left eventually. And also, we all know, thank you(howard) have had your fair share of destroying houses.

You call the design perfect, it's IS only perfect, if every grasps it. We knew going into the new map, that our guests were younger, and at times can have a hard time understanding. We thought that spawn was fucking great, because we knew how minecraft worked, they don't. We changed it.

And my move was to leave and leave you all to it. See how that worked out?

My next move was to return and let you all decide how the map should be run. After 2 months you came to no decisions. Not one.

I have tried this every way from Sunday but the community is simply either lazy or disinterested - I cannot decide which. I will happily - HAPPILY - run whatever server you guys ask for but you have nothing to say. No arguments to give, no solutions to proffer.

If I ever need a bunch of whiners though, I know exactly where to fucking call...

This server, the new one, is a another good solution - a very good one in fact - but it is a server hat requires knowledge, skills and experience, It requires an OP team that are informed, that are engaged and that are fucking HERE. None of these we have.
The server will launch and yes, I will not be around. I said I am not running this directly but no one listens. There is enough training material to sink a god-damn battleship but...well, we'll see I guess.

Personally, I know where my bet lies...

au 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 06:08 
Nerdish, tbh. (438)
.. Coming from an op's perspective, I have not abandoned SMP, I have not left this server. I am still very much here. It's just my job as an operator on this server has been limited (due to it being a temp map...and because no-one is on most of the time). But when this new server comes (and when my monthly Internet usage resets :oops: ), I will online as much as I can, doing what needs to be done. I can not say the same thing for any other operator, but im sure they have their reasons aswell.

So Howard, don't think they entire op race is extinct...

We're just in hibernation.. :wink:

fi 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 09:16 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Howard, if it all fails as you predict, you will come back, won't you?
As for the 'incompetent Ops' thesis, personally I'd prefer having a detailed tutorial on all the new functions and crap (though I'm not an Operator). As a Vet and with all the little commands I have had so far it has been a minor pain in my arse trying to learn to use them all with little to no instructions (other than doing it the hard way, Googling the commands out and trying to figure out which plugin we're using and asking others who were quite often uninformed of the tricks themselves). Perhaps the SpA Film Productions could also be able to make a private tutorial video, composed of the essentials?

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

us 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 02:29 
Crap at posting (40)
I'm finally going to post my opinion cause I'm sick of this. If the server does fail as suggested by Howard, I'll keep coming back cause I love this place. Nothing is going to stop me coming here and having a good time with the community. So there's that.
Now I agree with Samiak on the not much instruction on commands and stuff, we were told once and shoved out. Now I know that we could ask what the commands are if people knew, but my horror was trying to judge when to use them. (which led to my demise) It seems as if every time I ask what to do it's a different answer, from a different person. I never really knew when to do what and what to allow. I realize that I made some bad mistakes, but really? A different answer every time?
As for it being just the communities fault I disagree, it was all of our fault. We all played a role in the downfall, and we need to play a part in bringing us back up from what we were.
Even if it's a completely idiotic idea, it will help. And it seems that every time someone posts something stupid, they get ripped to shreds. To me that was very demoralizing, so I stopped posting my opinion. Could we please just tell them what is wrong with what they said and offer a counter opinion instead of just completely destroying them? I think that way we'll have more opinions coming in and a better chance of success.
So that's that. I'm ready for the hate and being ripped to shreds by "smarter" people. Come at me bro.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 09:19 
Lord of Minecraft (2894)
stesser wrote:
I'm finally going to post my opinion cause I'm sick of this. If the server does fail as suggested by Howard, I'll keep coming back cause I love this place. Nothing is going to stop me coming here and having a good time with the community. So there's that.
Now I agree with Samiak on the not much instruction on commands and stuff, we were told once and shoved out. Now I know that we could ask what the commands are if people knew, but my horror was trying to judge when to use them. (which led to my demise) It seems as if every time I ask what to do it's a different answer, from a different person. I never really knew when to do what and what to allow. I realize that I made some bad mistakes, but really? A different answer every time?
As for it being just the communities fault I disagree, it was all of our fault. We all played a role in the downfall, and we need to play a part in bringing us back up from what we were.
Even if it's a completely idiotic idea, it will help. And it seems that every time someone posts something stupid, they get ripped to shreds. To me that was very demoralizing, so I stopped posting my opinion. Could we please just tell them what is wrong with what they said and offer a counter opinion instead of just completely destroying them? I think that way we'll have more opinions coming in and a better chance of success.
So that's that. I'm ready for the hate and being ripped to shreds by "smarter" people. Come at me bro.
To your first point, stesser: I agree. The learning curve with SMP is sharp but I/we have done our best this time around. The help system is back in place with detailed information on EVERY command in game, we have created books that contain information on the most important plugins and Frimple and his minions have constructed SpawnTown as one giant training area, stuffed to bursting with signs. In the coming days, the instructions and training will be replicated on the forums too but that is less of a rush as so few people come here.

As to your second point, that people get torn to shreds for making suggestions here, you are right and I know that I am likely thought of as the main culprit of this behaviour. Speaking entirely for myself, all I can say is that this sort of response is born of utter and desperate frustration. It is not just a case of people suggesting ludicrous, unhelpful and frankly impossible thing (which they do all the time) but rather that they never read what has come before or even tried to grasp what we currently have. Half of the "suggestions" we get here are for things that simply cannot be implemented (single player mods, plugins that got abandoned 2 years ago) and the other half are people baying for things we in fact already have. No one - and I mean really no one - has ever fully grasped what is on offer in the SMP servers we have run or what they could be doing to enjoy themselves. No matter what I do, no matter what changes I make, even the most wise and experienced of MCer still think that SMP has some relationship to the Single Player part of Minecraft. It simply does not. Playing SMP the same as you would play the single player version of this game is idiotic and yet that is all everyone does: turn up, find speck of land, build house, get bored then either a) come to the forums and whine or b) set about fucking up everyone else's game. Already on the test server, with it having been open to a few players for less than 20 hours, people are doing the same thing. no one is working together, no one is thinking bigger than their own wood shack and as a result there are some 15, 1 man towns, all of which will simply not last a week.

So, to return more directly to your point, I (again, speaking for myself but my OPs will fall in line too) will stop being so condescending and destructive in the way I post towards the players but only on the condition that the players wake up and embrace what is being offered. Those who come here looking to play Single Player MC need to change their ideals or leave as that is not what this or any other SMP server is about. Between Towny, the economy and mcMMO there is a far, far deeper and more rich experience on offer here and the pig-headed determination of every player to make this THEIR personal server in which THEY are the centre of the universe has to stop.