nl 
 Post subject: 80 years of Lego
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 10:16 
Community slut (13473)

gb 
 Post subject: Re: 80 years of Lego
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 13:01 
Nerdish, tbh. (587)
I think lego has gone a bit iffy now, because all i see when i go in the shops is pre made models like ones for a battleship or something, i never get to see just bricks so that you could build whatever you want, kinda sucks really.

at 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 13:14 
Geek (749)
ells551 wrote:
I think lego has gone a bit iffy now, because all i see when i go in the shops is pre made models like ones for a battleship or something, i never get to see just bricks so that you could build whatever you want, kinda sucks really.
I think it's because the premade things cost more because they have all those detail pieces. Most kids today don't have that big of a imagination, they just play on their ipad/itouches.

gb 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 14:09 
Has no REAL life! (3714)
Basically what ihasfire said. I use to spend ages with my lego/knex/znap when I was a kid I hated anything premade, but I guess now the market has shifted to less imaginative consumers who aren't into toys as much and rather just quickly complete a finished piece and shelf it. Seriously, so many kids getting phones, laptops and consoles thesedays it's saddening. I remember when I got a massive box of hand me down incomplete sets of lego, pieces of airports, star wars, navy and medieval etc. I loved making my own wierd dystopia where humans would fight the machines. When you pulled the heads of older legomen the stumps sort of looked like a robot heads 8)

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 14:51 
Doesn't get out much (376)
Models are a lot easier to market, they've always been a big part of lego's strategy but, a big bucket of lego is a thing you only buy once. You can buy a whole bunch of different sets.

I can't really complain about the sets, the architecture series is really cool.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 14:59 
Community slut (13473)
Didn't Lego always come in sets?

From what I can remember you bought houses, boats, etc etc. And in the end you threw the whole lot together and build something new...

at 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 15:02 
Geek (749)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

From what I can remember you bought houses, boats, etc etc. And in the end you threw the whole lot together and build something new...
Well when I bought legos (around 2002-03 ish) I remember buying just a bucket with all these different sized and shaped pieces. It came with a few wheels and some other stuff like chairs. However the next couple of years after that I remember buying some star war ship and building it with my cousin. It was a amazing finished product but making your own stuff was just more fun in my mind.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 15:05 
Community slut (13473)
ihasfire wrote:
[SpA]SaintK wrote:

Well when I bought legos (around 2002-03 ish) I remember buying just a bucket with all these different sized and shaped pieces. It came with a few wheels and some other stuff like chairs. However the next couple of years after that I remember buying some star war ship and building it with my cousin. It was a amazing finished product but making your own stuff was just more fun in my mind.
Aha, my "Lego period" was from '86-'94 ish.

fi 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 15:19 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
Just one of the many sets I could find right on their website...

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

nl 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 15:23 
Community slut (13473)
Samiak_ wrote:
Heh, most of those colors didn't even exist when I had Lego :mrgreen:

fi 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 15:26 
Has no REAL life! (1690)
[SpA]SaintK wrote:
Samiak_ wrote:
Heh, most of those colors didn't even exist when I had Lego :mrgreen:
Lol, yeah, I can remember only having white, red, blue, black and yellow bricks, where the most common ones were white and red. I might still have a few kilos left in a warehouse somewhere.

“If I myself had to portray the term 'people' by drawing it, I'd draw a mere gaping mouth, a clamouring mouth.” ― Pentti Linkola.

be 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 17:30 
Has no REAL life! (1087)
It was a miracle if you'd find any black to make something with! They were so scarce!

And I also played with other things you could make whatever you wanted to make with it. Like flat squares with 2 connection types so they can connect properly. I used to make swords out of those!

Then my cat laid birth to her 3 kittens in my box of them :-14

gb 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012, 21:46 
Geek (975)
Well my Lego period was 1974-78.

Funny thing is my mum kept my lego and I recently got it back and washed it all in the washing machine and it looks new and my 5 year old daughter is now playing with it.

nl 
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2012, 22:17 
Community slut (13473)
[SpA]JediLardMaster wrote:
Well my Lego period was 1974-78.

Funny thing is my mum kept my lego and I recently got it back and washed it all in the washing machine and it looks new and my 5 year old daughter is now playing with it.
That's awesome! :5:

gb 
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2012, 22:27 
is Wonder Woman (5950)
Lego :26